Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Four years of Picea abies 'Pusch'

Posted by firefightergardener 7/8 (fletchonthemove@hotmail.com) on
Tue, May 8, 12 at 23:24

A little gem for any garden, this Norway spruce small dwarf grows a few inches a year, mostly laterally but it's main attraction are the wonderfully numerous bright red miniature cones it produces each year. These cones often remain on the plant for a year plus and contrast very well with the new foliage. Here you get a good idea of four years of growth.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
2012(early May)
Photobucket

The summary: It gets better and better every year. Destined to be a star of your own garden, why haven't you planted one yet? :)

-Will

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Four years of Picea abies 'Pusch'

Beautiful specimen Will! It really took an impressive jump in maturity between '09 and '10. In 2012 its one of the nicest ones I've seen. Fun to see the maturation of this beauty. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Dan

o

ha ha, "why haven't you planted this one yet?" Your right, I'm kicking myself for not getting this one with my spring orders after seeing yours. It looks like it could almost be a ground cover. I would love to have this slowly spreading down the side of a slope. Your 'Pusch' looks perfect.

How long do the cones keep their red color?

o

Looks great! I planted one this spring that's about 6" x 12", cant wait to watch it grow over the years!

o

Will, That is so cool that you have those annual progress photos and show them on one thread like that. Way enjoyable!

o

"why haven't you planted one yet?" -- because I planted three :O)

o

Your Pusch looks awesome! I just got one last week and haven't planted it yet. Wondering what snow weight would do to it? Can someone help me out with that? This one is very special to me. Is zone 4b okay?
Thanks for showing the 4 years!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here