Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Cedrus libani/atlantica Photo Gallery 2010

Typically enormous in nature or even the ill-placed garden specimen, many dwarves and miniatures are available and look wonderful to my eyes.

Post some of yours!

Cedrus atlantica 'Saphire Nymph'. Very blue, compact and wonderful! Many of mine took a beating with the cold winter but they seem to be recovering nicely.

Cedrus libani 'Taurus'. A low, compact dwarf.

Cedrus atlantica 'Aurea'. Slower growing then 'Aurea Robusta', more golden-green, my specimen colors more later in the year.

Cedrus atlantica 'Silberspitz'. Eventually shows white/silver new growth. Mine is both growing oddly and not showing as much color yet.

Cedrus atlantica 'Cheltenham'. A relatively narrow, very blue cedar. Mine is just a stick. :(

'Mt. Saint Catharine'. One of the hardest-to-find, lovely treasures in my garden. A lovely compact blue gem of a miniature. My tag needs updating.

-Will

Comments (12)

• bluegix
    13 years ago

Will your cedrus atlantica ''aurea'' looks like its got needles of an cedrus deodara ''aurea''. The needles on my cedrus atlantica ''aurea'' are short and stout like the other atlas cedars. Is this strange or am i asking a stupid question, im no expert.
    The cedrus atlantica 'Cheltenham' i think will eventually grow up to have a more weeping structure compare to the normal more ridgid structure of cedrus atlantica, although i dont think you will be about to see this hehe, but again i could be wrong lol.
    I love the little cedrus atlantica Mt.St Catherine. Where did you purchase that and the C.A Cheltenham from will if you dont mind me asking. Anyway nice plants i love the cedrus libani group

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Bluegix is right, the Cedrus atlantica 'Aurea' here is the Cedrus deodara 'Aurea'.
    The branches of the Cedrus libani 'Atlantica Aurea' (new name) doesn't hang over.
    Cedrus deodara in the U.S. is somethimes named "Libanon Cedar" which isn't correct.
    This must be "Himalaya Cedar'.

The name Cedrus libani 'Atlantica Aurea' is also wrong, this must be Cedrus libani var. atlantica 'Aurea'.

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Woops, thanks, I thought something didn't look right, but I couldn't put a finger on it.

Here is the correct plant:

Cedrus libani var. altantica 'Aurea'.

and some more...

'Glauca Pendula'. Just a classic.

'Epsteinianum'. No info.

Cedrus libani 'Blue Angel'.

Cedrus atlantica 'Granny Louise'. A very very narrow upright. 30'x4' is reported.

Cedrus atlantica 'Lilliput'. Small Dwarf.

Cedrus libani 'Katare'. Like a fuzzy catapillar. Love this type of plant.

Cedrus atlantica 'Horstmann'. A medium dwarf. Nice blue color.

-Will

• bluegix
    13 years ago

You have some nice plants there Will. Have you purchased these at a few different nurseries or just one. I'd love to be able to get some of those that you have in your collection

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Alllll over the place, literally. That's part of the challenge I think of being a collector - you have to turn over a lot of different rocks to find what you're looking for.

I'd say my top three sources of conifers have been Coenosium Gardens(the best miniature and dwarves available), porterhowse nursery(a gigantic selection) and a few contacts I've made in the retail/wholesale industry.

No question for starters, I'd check out Coenosium Gardens. Bob Fincham and his wide Dianne have been growing, propogating and selling conifers for longer then I've been alive. Bob's a legend, one of the 'old school' collectors. His gardens put mine to shame!

Coenosiums is mail-order unless you're making a visit(which I recommend!!). The prices aren't cheap but they offer pretty old stock by industry standard and many of their plants are exceptional and hard to find. See the link below. It's what got me started(and hooked) on conifers.

-Will

Here is a link that might be useful: Coenosium Gardens

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Several look like Himalayan cedars, I think maybe the 'Blue Angel' has even been listed as such. So far the 'Aurea' Atlas cedar looks to be 'Aurea Robusta' (blue touched with yellow), which is sold as 'Aurea' most of the time.

The true 'Aurea' is supposed to have a green base color rather than blue, and be much smaller growing than 'Aurea Robusta'. Both are shown on page 98 of the 1997 Timber Press edition of the Gelderen/Hoey Smith 2 volume picture book set incorrectly as C. libani 'Aurea'. The C. libani subsp. atlantica 'Aurea' is fixed on page 335 of the corrections section but the 'Aurea Robusta' is not.

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry I didn't answer this question earlier: "Where did you purchase that and the C.A Cheltenham from will if you dont mind me asking"

I think I received mine from 'Sing Tree Gardens'. I've attached a link at the bottom of these photos.

A few more to add before I run out of time:

Cedrus atlantica 'Uwe'. One of my slower/smallest atlas cedars, grows about one inch a year. The cold winter was hard on her.

Cedrus libani 'Sargentii'. A weeping/ground cover type cedar. Reportedly doesn't like being staked. We shall see!

Cedrus atlantica 'Home Park'. Almost 10 years old.

Cedrus atlantica 'Hillier's HB', a very tight dwarf, green needles.

Cedrus libani 'Green Prince'. One of my favorites, naturally seems to grow like the real thing, that is to say, open and irregular. Lovely tree.

Another, very different specimen.

Cedrus libani 'Hedgehog'. How cool is that??

-Will

Here is a link that might be useful: Sing Tree Gardens(source: Cedrus atlantica 'Cheltenham'

• severnside
    13 years ago

I have a Saphire Nymph also which is possibly as perfect a dwarf cedar as possible, highly recommended. I've just aquired a Green Prince (arriving tomorrow) which will occupy a spot up slope from the SN. I picked a directionally biased one so it'll grow out from the slope face.

Here's the pic from the supplier in Scotland, can anyone say if the lump on the stem is possibly from the graft and is it therefore a poor example? I didn't want to wait for another of similar shape with so few around - and the only one they have at the moment - so grabbed it to be getting on with.

{{gwi:738033}}

• dcsteg
    13 years ago

Cedrus atlantica 'Aurea'
    {{gwi:738035}}

'Aurea' foliage.
    {{gwi:738037}}

Dave

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Way too blue to be 'Aurea'. Very likely to be 'Aurea Robusta', which produces a full-sized tree. One in Seattle was 69' tall when measured about 5 years ago.

• clement_2006
    13 years ago

According to bboy, it's not "Aurea"

Clement

• ykli
    13 years ago

Cedrus Libani ssp. Brevifolia Kenwith or
    Cedrus Brevifolia Kenwith

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert