Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
definitee

Arborvitae Care For Fallen Needles

definitee
9 years ago

I moved into a house about 1.5 years ago that has about 6 Arborvitae of which variety I'm unaware. While cleaning the vinyl fence around my back yard I happened to brush up against one of the trees and noticed a bunch of needles fell out onto the mulch below. In the past I've had other types of evergreens like, pine trees, where you can always find a bunch of needles on the ground under the tree to rake up. Upon further investigation when I pushed back some of the branches I found that the inner needles had fallen off though they just seem to get stuck inside the tree's network of branches thus never actually fall out the bottom of the tree. I've never seen any needles in the surrounding mulch. The trees look great from a distance but looking at the uploaded pictures #2 you can see when you spread the branches apart all the dead needles just clogged in there. Picture #3 show that when cleaning then out by hand reveals what looks like good branches to me. Picture #1 shows just how many needles were pulled out by hand in a very small section maybe 3ft x 4ft.

Should I be cleaning them out by hand or just leaving them in there. Any help is appreciated.

Comments (9)