Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please define trickle when watering a Techny Arb

Posted by podaplaya IL (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 0:01

1 - I was told to water a trickle at the base of the arb for 10 minutes twice (if greater than 80) a week for several 5 foot techny arborvitae. Is a trickle approximately the size of a pencil ?

2- After I am done watering if I stick my finger in the ground about 3 inches should it be sticky moist or just moist

3- I have attached what 2 or the arbs currently look like..Is the browning due to watering issues..Should I prune them or will it grow back ? If so can you provide a link on how to prune ? thx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please define trickle when watering a Techny Arb

If the trickle is the size of a pencil, you'd need to run it at least two or three hours. The point is to water the entire rootball and then don't water again until its dry (or warm) at that 3 inch level five or seven days later (or longer). Being wet or soggy at that three inch level means nothing just after watering as whole rootball needs a good soaking.

tj

o

10 minutes twice a week will do nothing for those plants, "trickling" hose water or even with a heavier application. Get yourself a soaker hose and water slowly but deeply over an extended period of time (tj's 2-3 hours is a good start) as often as necessary. Temperature has little to do with soil conditions so don't let that be your only guide....I'd be more concerned about monitoring actual rainfall and how far down the soil profile moisture is carried. You want the soil to be evenly moist - not wet - the full depth of the rootball.

o

what they said..

but those sporadic brown patches.. are shipping damage.. prune them back to a live green part...

ken

o

Good information here on watering. I've often had questions about it (and pruning dead areas at this time of year) and not had good success trying to run a search for those topics in relation to conifers. Can anyone point me to some good guideline threads?
Thanks in advance

Robyn

o

I bought a Burpee Moisture Meter and the average readings for all 10 of my technys was 8.5 ! Am I overwatering..The odd thing was I did try the meter on parts of my lawn that are not watered and it was also 7 -8. Note though we just had a 1 inch rain on Sunday ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here