Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Picea orientalis photo gallery 2011

I'm back from a long vacation and plenty of plants grew like weeds when I was gone!

Last year's gallery had some great cultivars, I have some new photos to share and I hope you do too! Please share any you'd like, new, old, big or small.

Here's a few of mine to start:

'Iseli Seedling'. A fantastic plant, grows a couple inches a year and beautifully gold all year with no burn! I've tried(poorly) to contrast it with a couple petunas with black flowers. Maybe something more to see here once the weather warms up(we're still in the 60s most days!)

'Connecticut Turnpike'. Dwarfish and needs a move soon.

'Professor Langner'. Very slow growing, less then an inch a year.

-Will

Here is a link that might be useful: Picea orientalis gallery 2010

Comments (16)

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

'Schovenhorst'

'Skylands'

-Sam

• killdawabbit
    12 years ago

I love them. Hopefully one day I can own them.

• donn_
    12 years ago

Another one for my want list...'Professor Langner."

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Here's my 'Professor Langner'.

And my 'Bergman's Gem' from earlier this year.

tj

• johnplace
    12 years ago

Iseli Seedling is Awesome.

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A few more today as I am busy outside working on slug control, LOTS of staking and watering.

Picea orientalis 'Pendula'. Similar to 'Nutans' though now it seems to be fully prostrate. It started as planted straight up in the air three years ago. Another plant I'll probably have to stake. Has some 'bluish' hints occasionally.

And speaking of 'Nutans'. What a monster plant, also was planted straight up, now oozing all over the garden like 'The Thing', ala John Carpenter.

'Early Gold'. Bright gold new tips for a couple of months before turning dark green. This specimen is in almost FULL shade. Amazing plant.

'Tom Thumb Gold'. A beauty of a miniature, an inch a year but benefits from a few hours shade in the afternoon. I have a 'Buddha'(just visible to the left) that protects both my garden and this specimen once the blazing relentless sun arrives here in July.

Lots more when I have time. Let's see some of your old school plants Steven/Clement/Henk. I know you have some monsters to contribute here. lol

-Will

• dcsteg
    12 years ago

Picea orientalis 'Tom Thumb'.

{{gwi:739046}}

Dave

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

A couple basics...

'Aureospicata'
    {{gwi:739048}}

'Atrovirens'
    {{gwi:739049}}

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Will, for a better shape it's better to stake the 'Pendula' and the 'Nutans' for a year or 2 and then let them grow free.
    Your 'Pendula' grows now as a flatgrower, while staked it will let hang it's side branches which is the typical characteristic of this cultivar.
    The same is for the 'Nutans' which is a semi weeper.

• clement_2006
    12 years ago

3 Picea orientalis "Skylands " seedlings
    Clement

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Nice seedlings Clement, sown by yourself?
    How old are these?

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Too cool Clement.

Dax

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Guys, are those 'Skylands' intriguing because Clement grew those himself?

• clement_2006
    12 years ago

Seedlings of 2001, american seeds from American conifers seeds exchange.
    Clement

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

They must be dwarfs, 10 years old and only 40-50 cm high?
    It's time for some graftings Clement! ;0)

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A few more today while it's cloudy and I have time.

'Nana Compacta'. A not well known cultivar it seems, very shrubby with dense green growth. About 15 years old and 3 feet wide.

'Silver Seedling'. Almost full shae, still sheens of silver and green. Will burn in full sun, so half sun or less is probably ideal. Slow growing, eventually puts up a leader I believe.

'Daureas'. Gold like this for months and then more subtle green-gold the rest of the year. Many plants in my garden will be moved, these three will present a tough decision.

-Will