Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnemo

picea pungen cessarini

tnemo
9 years ago

When I got her about a month ago she had life. Now she's dropping browns as well as greens, and the branches are curling up. I don't know if I should prune it back? or even know how to? I don't know if I should just cut off the curled up branches. There is also new growth starting from inch above branch and dirt. This is the focal point to my garden. Please help. What should I do?

Comments (13)

• outback63 Dennison
    9 years ago

Determining what is the actual cause of your die back from a photo would be a guess in the dark.

Call your county extension agent and have him come out, or you could have to take a dead branch to them for evaluation.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

could have been shipping damage... as in some strapping young man.. grabbed two fistfuls... to hoik that thing around the nursery ...

i asked for a better pic in the other forum post... to verify the ID ...

snip the branches out.. to live wood.. and inspect such.. and find out if there is any physical damage ..

where are you ..

it looks telephone poled.. planted too deep... gently pull back the soil.. and find out where the root flare is ...

ken

• tnemo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Please help my tree seems to be dying.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

can you answer any question asked??? .. if you cant.. then repeatedly asking us to help gets you no where ...

return it for a refund...

and on the next one.. plant it in the proper season.. plant it at proper depth ... and water it properly ... see link in regard to all ...

july/august is NOT the proper planting season for anyone lacking experience ...

where are you ... big city name is close enough

ken

ps: whats all the white stuff under the plant .. ????

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• tnemo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Root ball was visible 2-3 inches from bottom. it appears theres a graft of another plant attached to it. I dont know why its there , this is how I received tree.

• tnemo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ITs getting worse day by day but the front appears to have new growth

• clement_2006
    9 years ago

It's not a Picea pungens "Cesarini",but a cultivar of Picea sitchensis.
    Clement

• arktrees
    9 years ago

Now we see in pic #3 that it was in fact planted too deep. Pic #4 appears to show what the soil level looked like before the OP dug out the root flare. For someone begging for help, the OP is being decidedly uncooperative. Won't even give give a region or answer other basic questions.

Arktrees

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Show us a picture after you cut off the dead branches and the new growth on the trunk below the graft.
    Looks like it's been handled a little on the rough side before being planted. Note the split branch. Maybe the dead branch is split further down into the tree. Have you looked?
    I'd also move the tree further from the fence or railing. If it lives, it will grow.
    Where are you and what Zone are you in? In the plant world, that has relevance.
    Mike

• tnemo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

im not being uncooperative Im just unfamiliar how to use website and post properly. Im learning please be patient. Im located in Queens New york City. I don't believe we have a county extension agent in the City.
    The tree was planted the last week of May. Although photos depict tree is on fence it is actually 4 feet distance. The dead branch is not split further into tree. Is the root ball suppose to be exposed at proper planting depth?? The 2 inches i pulled back was merely mulch! what is the proper planting depth? The white stuff on ground are the needles, the picture is a poor depiction. The needles are brown and some are green.

• tnemo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a front view. if there was damage from planting. Is it possible to still live??? Should I cut dead branches?? I would like to know all my options. i purchased tree during vacation. The tree is located 4.5 hrs away. So retiring it is not an option. btw I got this tree planted by a gardener. My files arent uploading properly is there a way to post numerous pictures

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

You are confusing root ball with root flare. The root flare is where the trunk widens at the bottom and the the roots begin. Root balls are notorious for covering the root flare too deep and needs to be corrected. That said, even if planted too deep it would not kill that branch that quick. Something else killed it.

The link contains the local offices for Cornell's Extension Service. There is one in New York City.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Extension Service

• ljs8510
    9 years ago

I would agree it looks like handling damage.
    I also agree it is not a Picea pungens "Cesarini"
    Below is what they look like, a wide low growing conifer.

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer