Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
World Conifer Check List

Posted by Antman452 none (RonMerchant45@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Jun 21, 12 at 1:37

I have just completed a Checklist of all the worlds conifers. Unlike all the other comprehensive lists I have found, none of which lend themselves to the easy rearrangement to fit your personal needs, this list is in Excel format and can be easily edited. It runs 9922 lines (217 Kb). The list has 8 Families, 70 Genera, 615 Species, 45 Sub-Species, 249 Varieties, 8420 Cultivars. The Families, Genera, Species, Sub-Species and Varieties are as listed by Aljos Farjon in "A Handbook of the World's Conifers" (Published 2010).

The Cultivars are from the new (2012) book:
Royal Horticultural Society Encyclopedia of Conifers:
A Comprehensive Guide to Cultivars and Species
Authors:
Aris G. Auders and Derek P. Spicer

I have also provided a vernacular (common) name for every listing. In general, the vernacular name listed is that used by Farjon whenever possible. Where he only lists a non-English name or none, I have relied on "Conifers of the World, The Complete Reference" by James E. Eckenwalder (Pub. 2009). In a few instances where neither lists a common name, I have made up a logical one.

I will be glad to send a copy of the list as an email attachment to anyone that wants one. Just send me an email at:

RonMerchant45@yahoo.com.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: World Conifer Check List

"are as listed by Aljos Farjon in "A Handbook of the World's Conifers" ..."

That's getting quite dated now, or rather, somewhat discredited for its very conservative approach to conifer diversity, which isn't supported by genetic evidence.

Resin

o

Even a dated list is better than no list at all. I'm confident someone with current information based on genetic evidence will be happy to share the corrections with us so that we may edit our new Excel lists. :^)

Ron. thanks for the effort, I look forward to seeing this.

o

Even a dated list is better than no list at all.

Not sure. Especially if some older lists are better. Take Rushforth, for example. Pineresin is right. What was not discovered by Farjon is simply put by him to synonymy. There are several examples. See Abies neodurangensis.

Another recent example is that he is confusing Cupressus revealiana with Cupressus stephensonii. This is not a scientific approach, only prejudice, for he showed no argument to sustain his choice. Same thing with Pinus stylesii.

Farjon is doing mistake after mistake. Do you need a list?

And when he does a mistake, he finds people to cover his tracks. This is not good for taxonomy.

o

Thank you for all the comments above. Most of my work was as a Forest Entomologist. I am not a taxonomist. I originally decided to compile my list as a checklist for collecting cones for another project I am working on. As the list progressed, I thought other people might benefit from a list that could be easily edited. I choose Farjon as it seemed to me to be the most up to date information available to me in the Michigan State University library. Please feel free to edit the list in anyway that works for you. Even with flaws, and all works of this type are bound to have mistakes and variances of opinion, at least it is a beginning to build on that is in a format that allows it to be easily rearranged, corrected or edited, which to my knowledge is not available anyplace else.

o

It has been brought to my attention that some of you who have requested my list are having trouble opening it. The version I have been sending out is saved in Excel 2010 for Windows 7.
If you are using an older system, please send me an email and I will send you the list saved as an Excel 97 file.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here