Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lzrddr

Heat and Arid tolerant Conifers

lzrddr
10 years ago

I am relatively new to Conifers, something sort of forced upon me by my moving out of Los Angeles where I could grow all sorts of fascinating palms and succulents, to a place still in Los Angeles county but in the high desert where the number of species that can survive is but a minute fraction of what I used to be able to grow. I see a number of conifers here though the variety is limited... however, just because no one is growing something in this area, does NOT mean it can't grow here... I learned that in my last home where I grew thousands of species no one else seemed to be growing and all were perfectly easy.

I am hoping I can find some different and interesting conifers that will survive a climate of extremes (highs 110F and lows around 10F with constant wind and 0 percent humidity). Soils are shallow and extremely barren. Anything other than Junipers and Italian Stone PInes I might consider? It seems the high, dry heat is the biggest limitation when growing conifers (learned that in Los Angeles where many many species will not thrive). But this is even worse. However, it is also way colder here, so a lot of what I could grow in LA may not be possible here (Araucarias? Agathis? Weeping Blue Cedars? ).

Comments (11)

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Hi, you might search member: ospreynn
    He's a nice fella. You might also email him from
    GardenWeb.

Link below is a recent thread.

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: Some trees in my collection (High Desert)

• sluice
    10 years ago

Add ponderosa and edulis (& monophylla)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Do you have a copy of Sunset's Western Garden Book? This can be an extremely useful tool in determining what you can grow as it divides the west up by very specific climate zones (no relationship to the USDA zones - much more detailed as to summer highs, rainfall and altitude). Depending on your exact location, you are listed as Sunset zone 10 or 11 (high desert). And that does not exactly limit you hugely as to species - many of the true cypress (Cupressus), pines and junipers will deal with that situation just fine and with irrigation, you should be able to expand that selection. If in zone 10, you could maybe sneak in a couple Cedrus species as well.

• scotjute Z8
    10 years ago

California has some rather unique native conifers that might fit your situation.
    Digger Pine (California Gray Pine) is one. There should be 1 or 2 other pine species suited for your conditions.
    Incense Cedar is another conifer that should fit.
    Arizona Cypress would certainly fit. Not sure if it is actually native to Cal. There are several other cypress varieties that are similar to Ariz. Cypress but are definitely native.
    There are also several junipers : California Juniper and Western Juniper come to mind.
    If others don't chime in with the more native trees will try to look them up. Not sure how available they will be in the nursery trade.

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ponderosa won't survive here- too hot for it... I have poured through the Sunset guide and some of the things they say won't grow here will, and vice versa... but they don't really go into an extensive list of Conifers... most of the rare ones even in there. Yet Sunset lists Douglas Fir as one that will grow here.. .I see it for sale at all the nurseries.. .and see dead and dying ones in people's yards... pretty sure that is not one that likes the super hot, arid weather.

• scotjute Z8
    10 years ago

Here's what I have observed planted in two similar situations :
    West Texas(~ 15-20" rainfall) : Afghan Pine, Arizona Cypress, and Italian Cypress. Alligator and Mex. Drooping Junipers & Pinyon Pine in the wild in addition.
    Sedona (~17" rainfall): Pinyon Pine, Arizona Cypress, Junipers (Utah I think), Deodar Cedar, & Italian Cypress. Alligator J. and Ponderosa Pine as well in the wild.

• planta_gardener
    10 years ago

I live in Great Plains wheer conditions are similar to these you described: hot in summer (100 is normal), dry, no humidity, high winds.
    From my 4 y old garden which I planted and replanted so many times (learning experience and expensive too), number one are Arizona cypresses; P. thunbergii and P. densiflora. P.omorica also is doing great-I am testing several cultivars (Peve Tijn needed to be planted in mostly shade location). P. contorta both Frisian Gold and Taylor's Sunburst are doing fine too. I lost many P.pungens with white/yellow new growth because of sunburn so rather avoid that; "The Blues" is doing great.
    Mugo pines are doing good too; I am partially shading these with white variegations, otherwise they are fine.
    My Douglas firs didnt survive summers. Same with Pinus parviflora's.

• ogcon
    10 years ago

I'd be interested in knowing whether the above mentioned
    Doug-firs attempted were the big cone ,Pseudotsuga macrocarpa varieties, native to arid and high temp SW
    range.Doug

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

If somebody sticks something in their yard and doesn't mulch it or even keep it adequately watered - or give it something else it needs to get going in that environment, like setting up shade cloth the first few years - and it therefore dies, that does not necessarily indicate that it cannot be grown there at all.

Throughout the intermountain region there is a fuelwood buildup problem in forested areas due to the Smokey Bear policy preventing ground fires, allowing Douglas fir etc. understory thickets to form beneath the pines. Anywhere there the elevation is high enough, Douglas fir can grow as a wild tree where there is some shade (and a forest litter layer) to alleviate the full effects of the climate. So it may in fact be possible to grow it lower down when cultivation techniques like consistent irrigation are employed.

• planta_gardener
    10 years ago

BBoy, it is interesting to me, how you read something in my post I didnt write.
    I AM mulching all my plants about 1 ft deep; and they have sufficient watering by the drip irrigation. It wasnt water stress. Are you knowing better than me what do I do?
    I had two Douglas firs and do not try them anymore. I am not going to plant 50, so I could make a reasearch, how many will survive and how many die. It was my personal opinion from my personal experience.

Thank you.