Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joebachman_gw

Looking for right arborvitae

JoeBachman
10 years ago

We are looking for a christmas tree shaped arborvitae. We would like it to be close to 10' wide at maturity. Height could be from 8' to 30'. We are going to plant it in the full sun on the SW corner of the house. Does anyone have any suggestions on what would work for us? Thanks for any help that you can give us.

Comments (7)

• noki
    10 years ago

Are you looking for a tree that grows into a natural shape with a single leader? The natural trees with a single leader will grow into a nice X-mas tree shape, but will get to the taller end of your range. Or just a dense plant that is shaped like that, or could be trimmed like that?

The 'Green Giant' would grow like that, unless it has been trimmed or has multiple leaders. The Eastern Arb 'Wintergreen' grows into a very nice shape but isn't as dense as others. Some of the Western Arbs will grow like that but are not that commonly seen. All of those are taller trees.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

anything with the word GIANT in their name.. is not something to go on the corner of the house ....

given the size specs.. i want to know how close to the corner we are talking about.

a tree that gets to 30 feet.. is probably going to be 15 feet wide.. necessitating planting 8 to 10 feet from the house... which is NOT 'the corner' in my world ...

how about a pic of the spot ... and a fair indication of your planting hole spot ... and letting us brainstorm this for you.. rather than limiting us off the bat ...

and the perfect plant .. will probably have to be mail ordered.. or ordered into a good nursery for fall planting ...

more info please

ken

• JoeBachman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ Noki ... We just bought this house and the wife wants something that is naturally shaped like a christmas tree. From what I've looked up about the Green Giant, it seems like it would be a great candidate. The website I visited said they get from 8'-10' wide and 20'-25' tall. Thank you.

@ Ken ... Here is a photo of where it would go. The outer edge of the existing circle of stones is 11' from the corner of the house, but I could widen it if neccessary because I definately don't want it touching the house. Thank you.

Thanks again to both of you. This is the first house that I've ever considered how the flora looks, and I'm learning new stuff every day.

• ritmatt
    10 years ago

That's a really nice border you have there, OP. Love it!

Green Giant will get a lot bigger than 20-25', given full sun. More like 50', at least in my area (GA). If you really want to stick with arborvitae, 'Emerald Green' is probably a better choice, size-wise.

If you're not married to the idea of an arborvitae, you might consider a Pinus nigra 'Oregon Green'. A beautiful specimen tree that I think would look great on that corner.

Good luck!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

no green giant...

frankly.. if you want an xmas tree. why are we talking about pine-shaped arbs???..

but i wouldnt want a pine there either ...

lets start with color.... is green the CHOICE.. or the default ... i would prefer blue.. but my house isnt blue ... and i am not sure how that would work ... the GO BLUE part of my soul. thinks yellow might go nice with blue.. lol ... but if you are in OH that might be an anathema to your sensibilities ...

and where are you .. more specifically .... big city name ...

finally.. the next proper time for planting.. to make it easy is fall ... warm days.. cool nights ... so we have plenty of time to figure this out.. unless momma is looking for instant gratification ...

see link ... especially in regard to annual growth rates.. size ...

some conifer grow 2 to 3 feet per year.. you dont want those by your house ...

you should be looking in the DWARF range.. something that grows max.. 6 inches per year... and will enjoy that VERY SMALL SPACE.. for decades ...

once we define annual growth rate.. and color.. then we can go with shape ... etc ...

again.. more info please ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• conon
    10 years ago

Whichever one you decide on, make sure it ONLY has one trunk. Two or more will not give you that nice Christmas tree shape you want and it will not hold up to snow loads without either breaking or splaying apart wildly.

I've attached a link to the Missouri Botantical Gardens in St Louis, Missouri. I too am in zone 6 and I always consult with them whenever I'm considering a particular tree, etc. for my yard. Their Thuja section is pretty large. One of my favorite green arbs is 'Degroot;s Spire', due to the interesting foliage.

Just remember, One trunk only!

Here is a link that might be useful: MBG - Thuja

• JoeBachman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ ritmatt ⦠The wife loves the look of the Emerald Green , and I like the size. We live 10 miles North of Joplin Missouri, and that may be the option to go with size and shape wise.

@ ken ⦠Slow growth rate would be fine, as we plan on being here for a long, long time. Also, it has to be green. The wife is a big holiday nut, and already has grand ideas of us, (meaning me), putting up Christmas lights on just about anything that doesnâÂÂt have legs on it to get away.

@ canon ⦠The one trunk hint was helpful. That detail never crossed my mind. The DegrootâÂÂs Spire is interesting, and I will ask the wife about it.

Thanks to all of you for your help.