Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamie81

Technito Arborvitae

jamie81
10 years ago

I posted this in the shrub forum, but Ken (of course) sent me here.....

I am relandscaping the front half of my house which is a rambler. I am in Minnesota. The area is about 20' wide and 8' deep. Faces east.

I am replacing 3 techny globe arborvitae. I was wondering about the technito, looking for some vertical interest. In combination with what, I don't know. Ken says, I can do better.

The other end of the house has several crimson barberry, and goldmound spirea. I would like something evergreen on this side, but have to take into consideration winter burn and lots and lots of snow. The area is in full sun til about noon and then in the shade of the house.

Thanks for any suggestions. And Ken, I am also planning Hosta in the same area.

Comments (7)

• nurseryman33
    10 years ago

Here is a photo of a Technito planted from a cutting in 2009. The top is just touching 4'. It requires very little trimming. They stood up well to the heavy snow we had last winter.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

I'm not sure I'd agree with all of the above. First, we have no idea how large the cutting was that was taken four years ago so assuming even a 12" annual growth rate is presumptive. Second, conifers (heck, most plants) do not necessary grow at a consistent rate throughout their lifespans. While it is true that most woody plants never really stop growing, they do slow down significantly when they have achieved their genetically programmed size......sometimes so slow that additional growth is virtually unnoticeable. In my area, arborvitaes fit this characteristic perfectly - modestly rapid growth rate when young but as the tree achieves maturity and approximates its genetic size, growth slows dramatically. It is extremely rare to see a 25-30 y.o. (or more) 'Smaragd' much more than 15' around here and normally one would add 25-30% to mature size for plants grown in the PNW simply due to a very mild, lush climate.

It is very hard for me to image that a dwarf arborvitae would not work perfectly well for this spot. Not sure Technito is necessarily the best choice for both a modest size and a reasonably narrow profile.

Irish or pencil point juniper may be another possibility for you - Juniperus communis 'Compressa' or 'Gold Cone'

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Thuja occidentalis 'Wansdyke Silver' certainly is an option. Mine is 5.5 feet tall and grows 9" a year and has grown 9" a year since established. Why "Silver" is part of the name, I don't know, however it's a plant that is half as wide as tall.

Gold Cone, snow issues.
    Compressa, I don't know, that's pencil thin.

I agree with gardengals assessments though. There's no disputing those.

Dax

• jamie81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, what am I missing? The way I read it, the technito grows to a maximum height of 6 '. The width is listed as 30".

The height should be fine in front of the house. My area is 20' wide. The garden is 8' deep.

You have me thoroughly confused. What wouldn't fit here??

• gardener365
    10 years ago

I think 'Technito' is a beautiful, as well as perfect plant, for your situation. I should have written that, Jamie.

Dax

• jamie81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dax. I think Ken is just trying to confuse me.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area