Pinus strobus Gregs Witch

Posted by ken_adrian z5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 24, 11 at 8:59

wonder who greg was ... ken

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pinus strobus Gregs Witch

ken, i have a pinus strobus "greg" that only grows 1/2" a year, i wonder if it was tagged right, i'll post a picture when i figure out how to

o

Per Bob Fincham, Greg Williams selected it ('Greg') "from a batch of witches' broom seedlings sent to an unknown person on Long Island, New York". My 'Greg' has light green foliage and slower growth. Maybe 'Greg's Witch' is a distinct cultivar?

tj

o

It's Pinus strobus 'Greg' aka 'Greg's Witch' aka 'Greg's W.B. Seedling'.

o

and just to clarify for newbies ....

the original is a seedling.. choosen ... and then grafted for the trade ... one would presume ...

but that still leaves out the fact that there are multiple claims that they do not look alike ... whats that all about

ken

o

Probably scions taken from the wrong plant but sold under 'Greg'...
The true 'Greg' does have short needles which I don't see at Ken's pic,also it's habit is to loose...
Please compare your's with this pic.
Photobucket

o

Funny,i got one a couple years ago from Girard nursey and it dose not have shot needles and is more green than i expected.The first year after i had it i tought it was not the plant i ordered. Joe

o

Well, the habit of mine is similar to Edwin's, but the color is more the light green that Bob mentioned. Then again, a pic at Bob's site is more like Edwin's.

Photobucket

tj

o

Obviously, Ken was a victim of the 'Greg Switch' lol

o

ken, thanks for the link, here is my "greg"

Photobucket

o

These threads make me feel warm and fuzzy inside and I don't even have this cultivar planted in my garden! The history, the detective work, photos and even a good joke! I like it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here