Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
severnside

Abies procera cultivars that you have - 2012

severnside
11 years ago

I'll start with a little series of my Abies procera Sherwoodii putting out it's new growth. Please add your cultivars by name and add a picture or two for an appreciation and log of this wonderful species. I'd especially like to see other 'Sherwoodii's'.

Abies procera 'Sherwoodii'

Comments (30)

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

Ask and you shall receive - I am glad to see another series topic popping up.

Abies procera 'Sherwoodii' - Always slow to wake here and our Sunshine rationing has held back color a little bit the last month or so...

Closeup.

'Hupp's Blue'

'Noble's Dwarf'

'Hupp's Compact'

'Pesek'

[Hupp's Seedling #4]

-Will

• severnside
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great stuff Will. You're the custodian of some very rare ones. Is your 'Sherwoodii' staked or will you start to encourage that left bias upwards, or go for the random element? I'll decide what to do with mine as the new growth hardens off.

Here's my Abies procera 'Glauca Prostrata' looking nice and level after following Edwin's advice to remove the leader. The farthest branch isn't as upright as the camera makes it look.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Beautiful Noble fir pics are seen here!

Will, I also saw the Hupp seedling selections when I was in the U.S. last January.
    Jason and I discussed them and I told him that they don't have the typical needle setting for this species.
    Imo these seedlings are cross with Abies amabilis.
    Please take a closer look to your own pics and you'll see it for yourself...

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

Severnside, I plan on staking mine somewhat upright as, like many of my plants I want to keep, it will have to grow in a normal profile to stay a good while.

Edwin, this is interesting news to hear and I agree they do not look normal. I can take a closeup or two if you'd like, though to me, I cannot tell what species(or cross) it is. I DO realize the needles look very differently then Abies procera normally does.

Does Abies procera x amabilis crosses have a name?

Thanks Edwin,

-Will

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Abies procera 'Delbar Cascade'

Abies procera 'Glauca'

Alex

• sluice
    11 years ago

Abies procera 'Bizarro'

• Cher
    11 years ago

These are all beautiful examples. Probably the procera are some of the best looking conifers I think.

servernside I really like that Prostrata. Beautiful color especially with the new growth showing.

sluice I like that green and the name I'm assuming means it grows bizarre.
    Cher

• severnside
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Cher, it'll have a sweet spot on the slope when I plant it out, to ramble down.

I love the 'Delbar Cascade'.

Sluice, is that a 'Bizzaro' you grafted? I remember someone was grafting one but not who...

• sluice
    11 years ago

Severnside, yep it is. Here is the original scion, you can almost see it the picture above!

• severnside
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow yes, that's definitely a success story judging by the strong new growth...

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

I hope to trade for one of those beauties some day Nate!
    I must have a noble you would like. :)

Abies procera 'Hupp's Dwarf' - Certainly a nice little thing.

'Blaue Hexe' Fourth Summer and boy is it starting to turn into a beauty. One of my top FIVE overall favorite conifer cultivars.

'Glauca Prostrata' - Moderate shade. I may move this beauty, Abies procera does NOT like much shade.

Abies procera [Bloom River Weeping]. A weeping form from 'Bloom River' nursery, was labeled as 'Pendula' and perhaps it should be still but I've kept track of it's source because I find it different then other weepers I have. This plant is #1 on my Fall-move priority list, more sun, front and center somewhere nice and somewhere I can appreciate it's strongly weeping form. It's held on OK in dense shade so far.

'Delbar's Cascade' - No leader and so for now, it's a ground cover noble fir. I like having cultivars with different forms and despite most of these cultivars heading straight up, this specimen seems content mounding over itself.

'Rat Tail' Very distinct foliage with thin, wiry ratty branches.

'Robenek' One of the smallest nobles I have. About 7 years old.

-Will

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

I've killed about a half dozen procera here, but this one has lasted three years now.

Abies procera 'Hupp's Dwarf'

tj

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

my baby 'Rat Tail'

-Sam

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

A few more noble conifers!

Abies procera [Hupp's Seedling #2] - possible crossed with abies amabilis.

Abies procera 'Silver' - Nice but hard to distinguish from 'Glauca' other than it seems to be growing slower.

'Prostrata' - A cultivariant of Abies procera 'Glauca' in which a side branch does not send up a leader. This old, somewhat gangled specimen doesn't want to send a leader up still, four years in the ground.

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

'Blaue Hexe'

'La Graciosa' (starting to show some vertical promise)

-Sam

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

Abies procera 'Rick's Foxtail' - an unusual cultivar with ruffled edged foliage. Fourth year in the ground.

Closeup.

Abies procera [Tolines Farm WB(bottom)] - A broom under observation from Jason Hupp's selections. Two brooms grew on the same plant, one on the bottom(shown here) and another distinct broom on top. Pretty cool to find two brooms on the same tree and even cooler when they are attractive like this little beauty.

Abies procera 'Hupp's Compact' - About six-seven years old, Jason Hupp is NOT sure if it sends up a leader or not.

Here is the oldest known plant, in the gardens of Don Howse.

-Will

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

Another special plant, soon to be introduced.

Abies procera [Hupp's dwarf weeper] - A plant Jason Hupp discovered and has been evaluating for years.

-Will

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

'Hupp's Dwarf Weeper' is a need-to-have for me.

Weeping trees are nice, but they ordinarily grow so quickly. This is a nice combination of dwarfism and pendulous characteristics!

How "soon" will it be introduced?

-Sam

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Like Sam said, the 'Hupp's Dwarf Weeper' does have a nice combination of both characteristics so it will fit in every garden.

• severnside
    Original Author
    11 years ago

HDW is a winner!

• botann
    11 years ago

Abies procera.
    Mike
    {{gwi:743118}}

• severnside
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Still not sure if this is a spreader or will eventually grow upright. Lovely clean silver colour.

Abies procera 'Noble's Dwarf'

Detail

• severnside
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Abies procera 'Blaue Hexe'.

• severnside
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Abies procera 'Jeddeloh'

Detail

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

I'm beyond envious of these cultivars. Too most the US can't grow them! The next best thing is Abies concolor but these buggers are hard to find.

I have a couple from Jason as well that seem to be doing ok. I might burlap them this winter.

I lost my 'Danish Column'. Pretty upset about that one as it was a premimum specimen, color, shape and all.

• Fiddlegal08
    11 years ago

I'm just getting started, so I don't have a lot to contribute...
    Abies procera "Blaue Hexe'

Abies procera 'Pesek'

So sorry, whaas! Do you have a sprinkler system?

• Simoni
    11 years ago

Hi our crazy Abies procera Hupp's Dwarf

L+M S

• rispetto
    11 years ago

{{gwi:743136}}
    Blue Wonder

{{gwi:743138}}
    Cecilie

{{gwi:743141}}
    Glauca

{{gwi:743144}}
    Bizarro - most probably, but I'm not sure

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

'Rat Tail'

-Sam

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

'La Graciosa' a beautiful narrow-weeping form! purchased from Porterhowse Farms

-Sam

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting