Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cearbhaill

Thuja Occidentalis 'Little Teddy'

Should I be pruning these?

I have a group of three, coming up on six years old.
From about the third year they have been splaying open and are becoming more and more unattractive.
They show good growth every year and are healthy but they just don't hold their shape.
As such a dwarf it really never occurred to me that I should be pruning them, but upon inspection this morning it is either get them into a decent shape or shovel pruning them. OK, maybe moving them to a less featured spot, but something's got to happen.

So are they always this sprawly or have I neglected them into ugliness?

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

in snow load places.. that is as good as they get ...

in non snow load areas ... they are perfect little puff balls ...

if they are not pleasing you.. get rid of them ... i doubt any amount of pruning.. is going to make them into a shape you will prefer ... well its possible.. until the next snow load ...

be done with them.. you can do so much better ...

ken

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No offense Ken, but you tell everyone to get rid of anything that is causing them trouble ;)
    Makes me want to try.

They can't look any worse than my T. orientalis 'Blue Cone' after a snow. Every year I swear I will remember to tie it up and every year I forget.

I'm a sucker to save a plant- now where's my green twine...

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

Makes me want to try.

==>>> of course ... why do you think i have it.. lol ...

i cant keep track of every ones personality .. of lack thereof .. lol ..

so .... lets call this a relay race.. and i am handing you the baton ... have at it .. experiment... report back.. show us the after pix.. update us next spring.. etc ...

i spotted mine the other day.. while mowing at speed ... it did not take favorably.. to being under 3 feet of snow ... well qualified the the weirder the better club... or even better... the uglier the better club ...

too bad it clings to life ...

but will i get rid of it.. nope.. i have 5 acres ... most of you dont ...

and that is the root of my 'get rid of it' ... comment ...

many peeps are NOT inclined to experimenting.. and with limited space... and a personality towards perfection ..... it is much better to get rid of it.. than to try to make it into something its really never going to be ... dont you think ...

get the pruning shears.. teach this thing who is in charge at your place ...

ken

• coniferjoy
    9 years ago

It's cultivar name is just 'Teddy', not 'Little Teddy'...

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Yes, Teddy splays out, but it fills in, giving the plant a billowy appearance. Much nicer than a round globe in my opinion. It gets better as it ages. Don't we all? ;-)
    Mike

• outback63 Dennison
    9 years ago

If you want to make the trip out in bad weather shake them free of snow but an overnight storm it would be not feasible.

You can also drive a stake down the center of the plant about 2 ft. higher then the top then drape a sheet or tarp top over them through the winter.

I would suggest lightly prune them each spring to control growth otherwise they will get too big to work with over time.
    I would personally remove them and replace with another cultivar. There are so many cool dwarf cultivars out there to plant with no follow up issues. Just a thought.

Dave

This post was edited by Davesconifers on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 14:51

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"It's cultivar name is just 'Teddy', not 'Little Teddy'..."

Thank you- I want to be corrected when I get it wrong.

Apparently my vendor has it wrong on their website.

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Don't blame me but you called them ugly first....I'm with Dave those are a waste of space.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

I had one, but gave it away to my friend Ted.
    Hey, what are friends for?
    Mike