Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Abies Homolepsis Variegated advice

Posted by robbandthedogs 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 9:39

Does the sporadic variegation for this cultivar appear as the new bud/branchlet grows, or ...does the coloration develop after new growth has grown???

My reasoning for asking this is that I have found 7 plants to choose from, 5 have current variegation, and the other 2 have no variegation yet, but are much healthier!! All 7 do appear to be the same cultivar.

Any advice much welcomed!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Abies Homolepsis Variegated advice

where there is a variegated version.. there is usually a green version..

the variegated are usually ALL GRAFTED ...

often the understock is the green version ...

so when you make this statement: All 7 do appear to be the same cultivar.

it makes me wonder a couple things

==>>> whether the scion died.. and you have understock ..

===>> why you didnt take the camera with you .. lol

ken

o

Definetely the scion didnt die off on 2...you can readily tell the difference in the bark between the understock and the graft. As for taking a camera...Havent purchased 1 yet...

Asking the question again...when does the variegation appear in the new growth?

o

Ok...question answered! I have talked with a REAL expert...they are grafted onto Canaan fir, and the variegation appears with new growth...on Older Plants!

o

That's a REAL bullsh#t expert if he's telling you that the variegation appaers with the new growth on OLDER plants.

The truth is that variegated specimens will show it's variegation as soon as they're grafted and will show their new growth in Spring.

Never buy variegated plants that are green or are green for the biggest part.
In this case it won't take long before the plant will revert back to completely green.

A good nurseryman will only use completely variegated scions to create nice variegated plants.
If he's satisfied with less, the problem is for the buyer which will be YOU when you'll buy it and listen to his nice fairy tale stories...

o

seems like that answer is right up there with ...

that blue spruce will get bluer as it ages...

and faster.. it you buy this extra fertilizer and microbiotic soil conditioner.. lol

ken

o

Democrats!

o

Advise:

o

Be aware of the dogs, they can pee over your little green 'Variegated' which will then turn to yellow so a variegation will appear after all :0)

o

Talking of dogs doing their thing, spellcheck:

Abies homolepis ;-)

You'll get better search results with the correct spelling!

Resin

o

Resin, what a terrific way to cement the spelling in everyone's mind. I don't imagine anyone will soon be forgetting how to spell Abies homolepis.

-Sam

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here