Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anything wrong with this Chamaecyparis obtusa Crippsii

Posted by KMack17 6 NJ (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 9:39

I planted 2 Chamaecyparis obtusa Crippsii two years ago. One is doing great:

photo EF4A4663-F915-453A-AD33-377A0ABCE4A8.jpg

The other is not thriving. They're planted about 30 feet apart in the same soil with similar watering practices. The only difference is that the one not doing as well gets an hour or 2 more of direct afternoon sun:

photo F89B264F-C717-4144-9AF2-CEE53697C4EA.jpg

photo B83DBB1B-122C-454C-8FAD-ECA10685657F.jpg

photo 81DC91E5-60F6-4C45-8CCF-004532E826A9.jpg

photo AF013FF9-E190-43C1-A839-977BB2D28CA3.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anything wrong with this Chamaecyparis obtusa Crippsii

interior browning is normal ... i would not be concerned about that.. per se ...

what i cant tell from the pix ... is it supposed to be whitish... or if its off color ... it sure looks like its growing vigorously ... if thats all new growth ...

2 hours more sun shouldnt be significant ...

i am wondering if you had drought last year... and it wasnt watered properly, having been a large transplant ... and if you had a bad winter.. how the exposures differed ... as they each have their own micro climate ...

ken

o

Definitely had a bad winter in NJ and it probably is more exposed to wind. I planted 10-15 trees/shrubs a year and a half ago, so I was pretty diligent with watering last summer, but I suppose it is a possibility. As long as nothing seems grossly wrong with it, I'll keep an eye on it.

o

Hi - I'm not an expert but when I was preparing to plant a lot of conifers recently I learned that damage to the rootball can be invisible from the outside but really damaging to the plant. Things like accidentally bumping (dropping) the plant too hard on the ground can cause roots to crack in the rootball and that would increase the chance of death or "failure to thrive".

Maybe somewhere along his life, this one got knocked around too harshly and just needs more time to recover (and a little coddling in terms of checking the soil more often for optimal watering).

Good luck with him,
-EC

o

It looks as if it is still making an adjustment to it's new location with a diminished rootball for it's size. The new growth looks healthy. The older, inner growth, is suffering. That's fairly normal in a transplant of this size with a less than perfect rootball. It just needs a little extra water than it's partner and should be OK in the future.
It's going to look bad for a while before it looks better.
Do you remember anything about the rootball when you planted it? Cracked real bad, smaller than it's buddy, or any large roots cut off?
Mike

o

Yeah, the rootball was noticeably smaller than the other. I guess the answer is water and patience. Thanks for the help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here