Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Big box/ ubiquitous corner conifer alternatives

Posted by cearbhaill Zone 6b Eastern KY (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 16, 12 at 10:18

My mother just purchased a new home with zero landscaping, so I have been elected to design, install, and maintain two front beds purely for curb appeal. The home's exterior is not attractive at all (it's quite ugly actually), so I am being sorely tested, LOL.

I need a large conifer for a corner with southern exposure in zone 6b eastern Kentucky- the soil contains some clay but is actually pretty decent with pH on the slightly acid side. If I was going to a big box store I would choose either a Blue Point juniper or an Emerald Green arborvitae because that is what is available.
Can we think of any easy to source alternatives that I might be overlooking?

The issue will be size and availability- while I am content to buy small, easily shipped plants for myself my Mom is 80 years old and so we need larger plants for more instant gratification. I am finding what very few local nurseries I have to be reluctant to order things for me- they want to sell me what they have which is Blue Points and Emerald Greens. We are in a very rural area with very few choices. Travel to buy will not happen.

I am also in need of three good sized single leader DeGroot's.

So I am asking for 1) corner alternatives as well as 2) sources for shipping larger plants- at least in the six foot range.
Am I an inclined plane wrapped helically around an axis?
Sorry- Big Bang joke.

Ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Big box/ ubiquitous corner conifer alternatives

see mels post on juniper.. for my thoughts on such ... link below ...

call your county extension office.. and discuss tip blight in your area .. or hit the WWW ....

you have no option besides bigbox .. within 50 miles ???

or is it a budget thing ???

and yes.. you are screwed .. lol

ken

ps: you know the bottom line is basically going to be.. plant whatever you can find.. CHEAP.. and make mom happy.. and be done with it.. rather than worry over the esoteric decisions of a bunch of experts as to what is 'good' or 'perfect' ... i dont like either of your suggestions.. for a myriad of reasons.. will mom care????? will you get extra brownie points for the perfect plant.. should the cost be quadruple??? build a nice bed.. space them properly from the foundation.. and dig hole and insert plant.. and be done with it .. if she is anything like my 82 y.o. mom .... she will be happy it is done and over ... and will not give a wit over what they are ... and will call whatever you plant.. a pine tree .. lol ...

Here is a link that might be useful: mels post

o

Haha Ken, you are right.
She would not know a Dwarf Spruce from a Chief Joseph- to her they are all "evergreens."

I do have my heart set on the three DeGroots, though.

o
And...

I long ago learned my lesson on any of the scopulorums in high humidity.

o

are deer a problem? I'd hate to see you find the perfect tree and find it devoured out there in the country. You know what they do to Arborvitae.

o

Yes, deer will be free roaming.
That said I have never had one munch any of my arborvitae and they scarf down the daylilies right next to them.
And since I got my deersticks they haven't even eaten those.

o

Ooh, what's a deerstick? That sounds like something a client could use!!!

o

Link below- they absolutely work great.
My Mom swore by them for years while I scoffed.
I finally got fed up after deer ate some particularly special plants and let her give me a few.
I haven't had deer damage since and I have some fat tasty daylily buds out there right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deer sticks

o

YOU ROCK!!! I cannot tell you how thrilled I am about this product. I hope it works as well as you say, for my clients are finally getting a little weary of the smell of the repellent they have been using. ;o)

Thank you very much, I have ordered extras to keep on hand.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here