Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jayhawkfan56

For hairmetal

jayhawkfan56
9 years ago

Hairmetal,
I know you've been asking some questions about dawn redwood from seed. This one was started indoors in late February. Probably 8 or so inches tall.

Comments (10)

• outback63 Dennison
    9 years ago

I always thought photos looked better for plants in their natural state of growth.

Dave

{{gwi:745388}}

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Looks great!

Seems to confirm my theory that growth rate on first-year Dawn Redwood is somewhat exponential - the larger they get, the faster the rate at which they grow.

Mine are just about 2 months from germination and anywhere from 2" to 5" tall, most are around 3" but growing very rapidly the last few weeks. So about 2 mos younger than the tree you have there.

• jayhawkfan56
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, take that back. Is actually 11 inches, not 8. But yes- exponential growth after a certain point. My seedlings started off pretty slow but after 3 or 4 inches, seemed to take off

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Here's one of mine a few days ago. About 2 months old, as I said.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    9 years ago

Jay,

How big is that pot? I'm going to experiment growing Montezuma cypress in different pot size (1g, 3g and 5g) and see if there is any significant differences in growth rate. Like Hairmetal, I'm growing these in Rootmaker starter trays to promote superior root development (after learning the hard way about very long taproot getting stuck....)

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

Lou - I know you asked Jay, but mine are in 1G roottrappers (and also a few in 1g Smart Pot to compare).

I've found that it's very hard to get these out of the Rootmaker propagation cells - they seem to want to pull out without the medium even though they have a decent amt of roots.

A few just would not come out and I end up having the bottom half (mostly taproot and some kinky side roots) come out of the medium - so I've poked a fingerhole for the taproot and managed to get them in. It seems like metas have very fibrous and "wild" (going every which way) root systems - does that seem true for you as well?

I thought maybe I should have left them in the rootmaker starter trays a bit longer but we're going on vacation for 6 days, and I thought that the watering would be easier for the petsitter who is taking care of the cats if they're in bigger pots - the 32-cell rootmaker trays were drying out just about daily.

The ones I've transplanted stay moist about 4 days or so.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    9 years ago

Hairmetal,

It has been a couple years, maybe 3 years since I've used 32 cell trays. I prefer 16 cell tray over 32 but for some reason, I left a box of 16 cell trays at the previous house when we moved 2 years ago. Like you said, 32 cell tray dries out fast. I know when they are ready to be pulled out of the 16 cell tray but I'm not quite sure yet for 32 ones. Whenever they develop woody stem, they are probably ready. If the stem is still green, not ready. Just not sure how much longer. Just something you'll have to experiment and learn from it.

When the mix is very airy and very fast draining, you will get very fibrous root system compared to dense and slow draining mix. They spread out fast as well.

Montezuma Cypress has rather aggressive root system so I have to be careful not to let roots escape out of drainage holes at the bottom into the ground. I have 15g roottrapper bags with knit fabric bags at the bottom so feeder roots can escape through them and anchor the trees and get extra nutrients from the ground below. Roots will easily snap off whenever they are ready to be harvested.

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

My metas could have gone longer. The lowest part of the stem is just getting woody. However since I am leaving for a week, I went ahead and moved them to 1g. Sounds like I may have to pot up again before summer is over.

• jayhawkfan56
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lou,
    Believe it's in a standard 1 gallon container. It's starting to grow like a weed now..13 inches now!

• lou_spicewood_tx
    9 years ago

Guys...

Rule of 4 inches by Whitcomb when it comes to potting up seedlings..

Here is a link that might be useful: 4 inch rule...