Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trick_gw

juniper maybe?

trick_gw
9 years ago

i got these at the end of the season last year at lowes we had a extra long winter and most are half dead i cant remember the exact name of them but im trying to find out if i can save them and how

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i am not an ID guru ... but a juvenile Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Boulevard' comes to mind ....

what limits my guess... is that there are some dwarf versions that do not achieve the massive potential of such .. and they all look alike TO ME ... so i hazard a guess ...

get some fine snippers.. and trim out the brown ... its impossible to say.. whether they were abused at bigboxstore thru fall... or it was the bad winter ... a couple of mine.. are 90% dead ... so dont go complaining about yours... lol ... it will releader on its own ...

its not a juniper.. so i rule out J tip blight [though that may be simplistic] ... and call it STRESS ... and winter damage ...

keep it properly watered for the summer ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• trick_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks for the reply ken. i do remember them being labeled dwarf but thats all. i attached a pick of the worse off one. i did cut on it a bit but i didnt want to go too far. this is my first attempt growing them an the idea was sort of privacy line ive contacted lowes with item number of the tree but never got a reply so im giving up on that. i was hoping by proper id i could perhaps find out what exactly i could do to promote strong growth

9 years ago

yikes.. is there landscape fabric right up to the trunk???

how do you know water is getting properly to the root mass ...

NEVER use landscape cloth.. ever ... most weed seed is airborne.. so its basically useless.. as they are landing on top... as soon as you set it down .... the only peeps who approve its use.. are those that sell it.. ask in just about any other forum ...

ken

• trick_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes i did put down weed barrier fabric its kinda cloth like material so id imagine water seeps right through it. i never heard it was not recommended i use it basically everywhere even in my small garden...guess ill be rethinking that now thanks for the input

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Cryptomeria japonica. Cut out the dead (no use in not removing it all) and see how they recover.

Dax

• pineresin
    9 years ago

Sorry Dax, not Cryptomeria; the leaves are in opposite pairs, not spiral. Ken is closer, but it's one of the semi-juvenile cultivars of Lawson's Cypress Chamaecyparis lawsoniana, perhaps 'Wisselii' or 'Ellwoodii'.

Resin

9 years ago

all my lawsons died years ago ... i claim that as my excuse.. lol ..

regardless.. it changes nothing i said.. except to add.. that law's are notorious for root rot diseases ... of which.. again.. i claim no expertise ... since mine all died.. and i wont be replacing them ... who cares ... lol ...

you are making a presumption as to how water is moving thru the weed mat ... find out.. act accordingly ...

any chance your native soil is clay??? if so.. how did you plant them???

as we both said.. clip out the brown.. and hope for the best ....

ken

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Thanks, Resin.

Dax