Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

A Few Random Shots

whaas_5a
9 years ago

Oops, originally posted in the deserted gallery forum. Not even sure how I got in there!

It was supposed to be the year of the ground covers but instead was a year of rebuilding. Big mistake that I took a liking to Picea orientalis, Dawn Redwood and European beech. Lesson learned.

After this year I'm ditching the purely digital point and shoot and going digital SLR next year. Just can't get these pics right but good enough for now.

{{gwi:746189}}

{{gwi:746190}}

{{gwi:746191}}

{{gwi:746192}}

{{gwi:746193}}

{{gwi:746194}}

{{gwi:746196}}

{{gwi:746199}}

{{gwi:746201}}

{{gwi:746203}}

{{gwi:746205}}

{{gwi:746207}}

{{gwi:746210}}

{{gwi:746213}}

{{gwi:746214}}

This post was edited by whaas on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 11:15

Comments (23)

• zephyrgal
    9 years ago

Very nice. Looking good.

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Very nice!

Outstanding really!

Dax

• taxo_man
    9 years ago

Great looking garden! The colors are amazing.
    Jeff

• outback63 Dennison
    9 years ago

Really choice cultivars.

I am impressed .

Your on your way

Looks like your hooked. It slips upon you. You keep adding. It keeps on growing and looking better. Imagine this in 20 years. You will probably be a candidate for an ACS tour if not sooner.

Dave

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

hosta?? ... did you have a brain fart there ??? ... lol ...

boy that grass has come a long way ...

i seem to recall some elevated shot .. with bare nothing.. and some neighbor way behind... do you think you could find that pic.. and give us a current update ... i bet the dichotomy is brilliant ....

thx for the pix.. rather cruel not to name them ... i hate to do this.. but what the second pic..some spring white flush???

thx

ken

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    9 years ago

Whaas up!.....Sorry,,, i just had to do that Will. lol Your gardens look awesome. I always seem to look long and hard at the cultivars i cant grow here in 7.Those shapes and colors are jumping. Thanks for the tour

Al

• Cher
    9 years ago

Beautiful shots and plants. You may have lost a lot up there but you sure have lots of prime examples still sitting there and they all look great together. Although I can't have all of those conifers because of space, like the others I enjoy seeing the names. You know - so I can at least know what I can't have. LOL
    Cher

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Nice eye for combos, Will. Either those are very judicious shots or you cleared out any sign of brown from this winter.

tj

• plantkiller_il_5
    9 years ago

Nice ! GOT to have companion planting, really makes conifers pop.

I vote pungens Wisconsin cream

while we're at it,what's concolor , 3rd pic ?

thanks for pics, ron

• Lily777
    9 years ago

Another newbie requests names! Beautiful, just beautiful.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

did lily imply i was a newbie ... hmmmmm..

ken

• outback63 Dennison
    9 years ago

Is Ken really a person?

I thought he was just a figment of our real imagination.

Or he was a troll from outer space who appears here when he sees an opportunity to promote shovel pruning.

After second thought just an all around caring guy that gets his point across. For the most part I agree with him and his witty comments.

Crikey Ken you got to quit drinking that stuff.

Sorry whaas I just had to say this or Ken's benefit.

Again whaas your garden cultivars are beautiful and thanks for your photos. I know how much work that can be to post them.

Dave

This post was edited by Davesconifers on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 17:54

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All, thanks for the comments! I surely appreciate it when folks post pics of their plants and gardens so I have to make sure I do my part too.

I'd be happy to share the names at request. It gets to be a bit much to list every plant name.

Pic 2 is Picea pungens 'Straw'....great plant. Likes to be in the ground so its tough to get in containers.

Pic 3 is Abies concolor 'Wattezii Prostrate' For some reason I think that is wrong though. I leave it at that until someone corrects it.

Happy Father's day to all the fathers, to be fathers and all those that have a father...which pretty much covers us all. Take a moment to appreciate them. You never know when those moments will no longer be.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

That's a lot of very nice plants. Good choices all. Maybe a little bit over saturated though. The colors are coming through pretty intense.
    Where's the groundcovers? ;-)
    I'm trying to decide on a new camera also. I misplaced mine a few weeks ago and it is nowhere to be found. On ten acres, that can be a problem. If it's outside, it's toast. In the meantime, I've been using my wife's and she's not too happy about it. The smartphones and tablets seem to be the way to go now and forget about just a camera. I need to upgrade from my dumbphone. It's about time. I've been a bit slow in adopting new technology.
    Mike

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

TJ, I finished eradicating all the dead and badly damage a few weeks ago.

I only have some very protected, dwarf Picea orientalis along with bosnian pines that show some damage yeet Otherwise its all cleaned up.

Here is my official dead list, which includes somewhat large established plants and frail one year grafts. Yes, its f'ed up and I'll leave it at that.

Abies koreocarpa 'Inga'
    Abies concolor 'Piggelmee'
    Abies koreana 'Goldener Traum'
    Abies koreana 'Schwendenkonig'
    Abies pinsapo 'Horstmann' (cannan)
    Abies procera 'Hupp's Dwarf'
    Abies, nordm 'Golden Spreader'
    Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Sparking Arrow'
    Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Saffron Spray'
    Cornus kousa 'Summer Fun'
    Hydrangea 'Little Honey'
    Larix kaempferi `Haemp Feri' (Grey Pearly)
    Metasequoia glyptostroboides
    Metasequoia glyptostroboides Ogon
    Metasequoia glyptostroboides Ogon
    Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Matthaei Broom'
    Metasequoia 'Miss Grace'
    Metasequoia 'North Light'
    Picea brew. 'Emerald Midget'
    Picea engelmannii 'Blue Magoo'
    Picea lascioscarpa 'Prickly Pete'
    Picea mariana 'Nicolet Weeping'
    Picea orientalis 'Atrovirens'
    Picea orientalis âÂÂAureospicataâÂÂ
    Picea orientalis 'Skylands'
    Picea orientalis 'Sunrise'
    Pinus bungeanan Diamant
    Pinus densiflora 'Low Glow'
    Pinus heldreichii `Pirin #3'
    Pinus heldreichii 'Banderica'
    Pinus heldreichii 'Green Bun'
    Pinus parviflora 'Arnold's Arboretum Dwarf'
    Pinus parviflora 'Ogon'
    Pinus reflexa âÂÂVanderwolfâÂÂs Pyramid
    Pinus thunbergii 'Thunderhead'
    Pinus x 'Forest Sky'
    Taxodium distichum 'Peve Minaret'
    Berberis 'Red Jewel'
    Buddleja Miss Molly
    Daphne Briggs Moonlight
    Hamamelis 'Girard's Purple'
    Hamamelis Quasimodo
    Hamamelis x intermedia 'Jelena'
    Rhododendron x 'Roseum Elegans'
    Viburnum plicatum var. tomentosum
    Viburnum pragense 'Decker'
    Zelkova serrata 'Goblin'
    Acer palmatum âÂÂCaperci DwarfâÂÂ
    Acer palmatum 'Ariadne'
    Acer palmatum 'Red Dragon'
    Acer rubrum 'Red Rocket'
    Acer shirasawanum 'Red Dawn'
    Carpinus Columnaris Nana
    Cornus kousa 'Aurora'
    Cornus kousa Summer Gold
    Corylus avellana 'Red Dragon'
    Fagus Mercedes
    Fagus Rohan Obselik
    Fagus Rohan Obselik
    Fagus sylvatica 'Dwayk Purple'
    Fagus sylvatica 'Tricolor'
    Ginkgo biloba 'Chi-Chi'
    Ginkgo biloba 'Spring Grove'
    Ginkgo 'Sari'
    LIQUIDAMBAR SLENDER SILHOULETTE
    Quercus dentata 'C.F. Miller'
    Quercus dentata 'Pinnatifida'
    Taxodium distichum 'Mickelson' Shawnee Brave

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    9 years ago

Holy Cow....Those losses are all from this past winter? Sorry about your set back Will. You guys do get some rough winters.
    On the upside...what youve got growing now looks fantastic.

Al

• Mark Wasserman
    9 years ago

Will:

Looks simply outstanding. And if you upgrade to a DSLR with that material, my eyes might pop out of their sockets.

Not sure I would totally give up on European Beeches. From what I've read, they are very particular about soil conditions. Could be a combination of drainage issues and the horrific winter. I usually try to kill things 3 times in a row before calling it quits...

Here is a link that might be useful: Cultivars of European Beech

• wannabegardnr
    9 years ago

delicious!

• Garen Rees
    9 years ago

A few random shots of awe-inspiring hard work and beauty!

I'm a big fan of the Berberis with your conifers. The Heuchera and Hosta too. Those all look amazing together. You do an excellent job with placement and spacing. Everything going to look awesome as they mature together.

Sorry about your huge losses. I thought my RIP list was bad. It's funny how ones yard can be a roller coaster of emotions. Some days it's depressing and you want to give up on the hobby. Just when you think that you have put a lid on the the obsession, your hard work seams to shine again.

Thanks!

• maple_grove_gw
    9 years ago

Nice pictures, Will! Things are looking mighty fine in your garden. Thanks for posting.

It's nice to see how quickly the garden can spring back when tended by a caring hand. Your list of losses is a real downer, it looks like an accession list in reverse.

I agree it's always nice to see names next to photos, I remember it was you who once suggested we should also list the source as well...

Alex

• Garen Rees
    9 years ago

Your Picea pungens 'Straw' is a great looking tree.

Here's a large mature one I recently took a photo of at Stanley Rowe Arboretum, Cincinnati.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Oh my, Will. That is some list of death and destruction. With all that loss you still have plenty of nice stuff left.

tj

• sluice
    9 years ago

Great stuff, thanks for the tour!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting