Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sprucebud

A visit to David Ward's garden

sprucebud
10 years ago

A selection from David's wonderful garden which he has been nurturing for the past 30 years now.
Newly planted area

Picea pungens 'Frühlingsgold'

Picea pungens 'Thomschke'

Abies procera 'Blaue Hexe'

Picea breweriana

Mixed groupings

Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn'

Abies concolor 'Gable's Weeping'

Picea sitchensis 'Renken'

Picea orientalis 'Skylands'

Abies koreana 'Wellenseind'

View

Picea sitchensis 'Papoose'

Richard

Comments (22)

• firefightergardener
    10 years ago

Man, what an awesome garden. That 'Blaue Hexe' is hilarious, it's a huge tree!

Perhaps some day my gardens can obtain this sort of artistic combination of old and the new. Beautiful big, older specimens mixed with an occasional new beauty.

For me, having the maples in there just makes it that much more beautiful.

Thanks Richard,

-Will

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

there is something.. to a freshly cut.. and edged garden ...

this one is so perfectly done.. its like i did it myself... the highest praise i can give.. lol .. back in the day.. as a suburban lawn warrior.. in addition to gardener.. that is just the most perfect interface between lawn and garden ...

and actually... that is where i learned.. to sharpen the freakin shovel.. to make digging easier.. go figure.. lol...

anyway.. if it was all covered in pebbles.. i would have asked if he was related to dave.. lol ...

now.. THIS GARDEN IS SUPREME ...

thanks for sharing it with us ... BTW.. where is it.. or is that secret????

ken

• clement_2006
    10 years ago

Very nice,happy to see some old cultivars.
    Picea pungens "Thomschke" are " Domschke".
    A deutch nurseryman (Ottomar Domschke)
    Clement

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Plant mix, style of planting and location of posting party suggests garden shown is in Great Britain.

• gardener365
    10 years ago

You have me captivated. Your friend's garden is beyond words. I'm sort of speechless.

Dax

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Will, I was thinking the same thing about the Hexe!

Thanks for sharing the pics!

• dietzjm
    10 years ago

Those are amazing, Richard. Thanks for taking the time to share them. I always enjoy seeing mature specimens of various cultivars.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Richard, please tell David that his garden is very beautiful and well kept!
    I also like the mature specimens, some of these I've never seen that big before!

Did he shear the Picea sitchensis 'Renken'?

The Picea sitchensis 'Papoose' is a giant, maybe the biggest one in Europe...

Thanks!

• Cher
    10 years ago

Breathtaking garden! The mix is fantastic and all the new ones blend so well with the old ones. He did a spectacular job.
    Cher

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    10 years ago

WOW!

This garden is amazing. Since I have many of these cultivars already, I'm looking forward to the next 20 years.

~Dave

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Clément said:
    "Picea pungens "Thomschke" are " Domschke".
    A deutch nurseryman (Ottomar Domschke)"

Richard, did David become his 'Thomschke' from the Kohout Nursery?
    They only have it listed under 'Thomschke'...

• sprucebud
    Original Author
    10 years ago

David is delighted at the reaction to his garden. Thank you very much on his behalf.
    The garden is in Yorkshire in the UK (in fact, my garden is about 30 minutes away from his).
    Picea pungens 'Thomschke' was indeed purchased from Kohout nursery, I believe.
    Just talked to David on the phone and he told me has not sheared Picea sitchensis 'Renken'.
    Richard

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Note to David -- great garden, but get rid of that shrub blocking the Brewer's spruce. :)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Thank you Richard and Dave. Great use of the space with some very fine specimens.

tj

• Random_Treelore
    10 years ago

Wow. Spectacular :)

Thanks for sharing those pics- I'm inspired to go out and pull some weeds now :P

Random

• dietzjm
    10 years ago

I see he has a blue reversion on one of his large Picea glauca 'Sander's Blue'/'Arneson's Blue Variegated'. Has he had that propagated?

• sc77 (6b MA)
    10 years ago

Unreal...all I could think is how much pressure I would feel if I inherited or purchased that property...That's such a work of art, I'd screw it up for sure

• sluice
    10 years ago

Nice! I like the Picea breweriana.

• texjagman
    10 years ago

Holy crap.......that Blaue Hexe, the Peve Tijn, and that Skylands.......those are some truly incredible specimens.

He should be very proud.......and I feel very inadequate. lol

mark

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

Stunning!!! Thanks for the show!

• Vendorine Blake
    4 years ago

Beautiful garden, I love all of it!!!

• bamboo_nuts
    4 years ago

Awesome! Thanks for the pics. Love it :-)