Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dietzjm

Picea pungens 'Jan Byczkowski'

dietzjm
10 years ago

This is my favorite acquisition so far of this year. It has a bright white color right away that slowly fades back to a baby blue.

From early May:

From today, I don't know if you can see it but the tips of the new growth still have a bit of cream in them, the rest has transitioned to a bright blue.

Matt

Here is a link that might be useful: Translate this for background info...

Comments (4)

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Hey Matt, that's a nice blue spruce cultivar!
    Did you also enjoy the new creamy growth for 6 till 8 weeks like the discription says?

Translation description Polish - English:

Picea pungens 'John Byczkowski' PBR

spruce prickly 'John Byczkowski'

Manufacturers

Polish spruce variety of decorative spring color, selected in the nursery Byczkowskich in KostrzyÃÂ. Young shoots initially deep yellow, fade after about 6-8 weeks. For the remainder of the year are color szarosrebrnÃÂ. Cut thick szerokostoükowaty, regular. A slightly slower than in spruce trees propagated from seed. After 10 years of growing up to about 2 m high and 1.2 m wide copy of the parent increases since 1976 and is about 2.7 meters high, is very densely ugaÃÂÃÂziony. Needle length of 2.5 - 3 cm, spiky, evenly distributed around the stem. Grooved stems, yellow-orange. Young, grafted plants require staking to a point with a regular habit. This variety is easier than similarly derived Guide P. v. BiaÃÂobok. For planting in full sun. The plant has low soil requirements, it is very resistant to low temperatures, drought and urban air dry. Looks best planted singly or in small groups. For any garden.

by Gabriel TomüyÃÂski - TOMûYÃÂSKI Plant Nursery

origin

Polish variety
    First Publication: Marosz. A coniferous trees and shrubs, 2006, Officina Botanica
    explorer, farmer (coach) John Byczkowski, 1976; KostrzyÃÂ Wielkopolski, Poland
    introduction to trading: Nurseries J.Z.B. Byczkowscy, 2000, Poland

group of plants

sawmills (group information)

form

tree

force growth

growth typical for species

Slice

conical

Target height

from 10 m to 15 m

color of leaves (needles)

gray, bluish, silvery
    yellow, golden

hardiness of leaves (needles)

Evergreen needles

fruits

cones, szyszkojagody

insolation

solar position

humidity

dry soil
    moderately moist

soil ph

slightly acid reaction

type of soil

average garden
    humic

values

ornamental leaves / needles
    evergreen plant

application

kitchen gardens
    solitaire (single)

zone

• clement_2006
    10 years ago

My plants last week.
    Clement

• lemon1111
    10 years ago

It's beautiful plant! Unfortunately I don't have it in my garden but I saw big plant in botanical Garden in PoznaÃÂ. Here's the picture: of course photo was made in May.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Wow Wictor, that's a nice plant!
    I'm wondering why the finder put a breeders right on it while their are several simular ones...