Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dietzjm

Some pictures from today

dietzjm
10 years ago

I finally got a break from moving plants and mulch around to take some pictures. Enjoy!

Abies balsamea 'Eugene Gold'

Picea orientalis 'Silver Seedling': my favorite conifer

Abies balsamea 'Old Ridge': the color lasts for over a month for me

Picea shrenkiana 'Nana': shaping up to be a nice mini/dwarf

Abies nordmanniana 'Aurea': I recently moved it to give it more sun, hopefully that yellow color lasts

Garden shot:

Abies balsamea 'Lakewood'

Sciadopitys verticillata 'Gold Mahne': a golden weeper

Abies concolor 'Halina'

Garden shot:

Larix kaempferi 'Bambino'

Pinus mugo 'Michelle'

Garden shot:

Pinus strobus 'Minto' and Picea pungens 'Wendy':

Thanks!
Matt

This post was edited by dietzjm on Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 12:31

Comments (20)

• firefightergardener
    10 years ago

Wow, great looking plants and garden Matt. The crazied-collector in me is very interested in a few of those rare firs and your part-shade setting sure makes for a great, healthy batch of golden/light white specimens.

Regarding Sciadopitys verticillata 'Gold Mahne', I've never seen a Sciadopitys that was truly weeping, only prostrate forms, and only mildly prostrate at that. Do you know more about this plant?

Thanks for sharing.

-Will

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

fantastic.. you have been hold out on us...

why do i see the giant fence.. only in one pic????

Sciadopitys in z4???? ... is this some experiment.. or for real... it obviously hasnt been there long

thanx for the pics

ken

• clement_2006
    10 years ago

Nice, but your Picea schrenkiana "Nana" are a Picea omorika.
    Clement

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Yep, I see that too Clement.

Matt, your place looks wonderful. Please do share more often.

I too am curious about that golden Sciadopity's. From where did you get it?

Dax

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Abies balsamea 'Eugene Gold' is looking real nice.

I have a feeling this is just the beginning!

• henksgarden
    10 years ago

Hello Matt

very nice pictures only your Abies alba Aurea is a Abies nordmanniana Aurea.
    Henk

• dietzjm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Will and Dax, the 'Gold Mahne' was purchased from Dennis Dodge. He told me that it is an upright growing plant with the branches weeping down similar to S. verticillata 'Hange Form'. This will be the third summer that I've had it so I will keep you posted on its development.

Ken, I have been growing Sciadopitys here for 5 years. Here's a picture from today of my oldest. It's been in the ground since 2008. I give it no protection in the winter except a single screen on its southwest side to prevent sun scald. (Ignore the background--it's a work in progress)

Here's some more:
    Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Tingle'

Abies balsamea 'Treehaven Dwarf'

Picea orientalis 'Gowdy'

Picea abies 'Summer Daze'

Picea abies 'Anita's Golden Cloak': 'Summer Daze's sister

Picea glauca 'Scenic Shore':

Abies balsamea 'Edelweiss Zwerg'

Pinus strobus 'Bennett's O.D.' and Abies lasiocarpa 'Day Creek'

Picea glauca 'Monstrosa Nana'

Matt

This post was edited by dietzjm on Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 10:02

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Matt, thanks for your nice garden pics!

I can tell you now that the Sciadopitys verticillata 'Gold Mähne' is never gonna to weep.
    Probably the original seedling at the Wittboldt-Müller Nursery in Germany had some weeping characteristics, but not a single propagated one of it grew in the same way...
    'Gold Mähne' is German for gold mane.

Henk is right about thre Abies alba 'Aurea' which is reality an Abies nordmanniana 'Aurea'.
    I've never seen a yellow cultivar of an Abies alba with my own eyes...

Please, change Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Tingle #73'
    Into
    Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Tingle' (#73)
    #73 was given first by Jerry Morris before he gave it a decent cultivar name.

Did Joe gave the name Abies balsamea 'Edelweiss Nana' to this broom?
    The nana part is never possible because this is Latin...

Can you show me a better pic of the Abies lasiocarpa 'Day Creek'?
    Now it looks to me that this isn't the right one, it's too blue and it's shape doesn't fit for this one...
    Thanks!

• Cher
    10 years ago

Fantastic shots of your gardens and some great conifer choices. Too many to name that I really like. Thanks for the photos.
    Cher

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Still killing us with these photos Matt!

Dax

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    10 years ago

Hi Matt,

Anita's Golden Cloak is looking really good. I'm happy to have sent one to such a deserving home.

The Abies balsamea 'Edelweiss Nana' that you show is very similar to one that Joe sent to me with the name, 'Edelweiss Zwerg.' He said that it was found in a flat of understock seedlings. Does this story sound familiar? Perhaps Joe realized the error in his nomelclature and corrected the name. You're tighter with him than I am. It's worth inquiring.

~Dave

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tour, Matt. Everything looks really nice. Your plants look to be very healthy and thriving, they are all looking great. Picea glauca 'Scenic Shore', Abies balsmea 'Eugene Gold' and Picea orientalis 'Silver Seedling' are real standouts to me.

Your garden shots are very interesting and show off a defined style that you are developing, I like the mixture of plant materials. What kind of soil do you have? What native trees make up the bordering forest? Do you ever have issues when planting the understory with large roots that need to be removed? Also, what's the large spruce in garden shot #2, and what's the blue globe to its left?

Alex

• dietzjm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all!

Edwin, I will change the names in my database. Thank you. I'll get you a close up of 'Day Creek' tomorrow.

Dave and Edwin, Joe did name his dwarf balsamea seedling Abies balsamea 'Edelweiss Zwerg', with zwerg obviously meaning dwarf in German, his native tongue. I just got the name mixed up and will edit the original post. He found the dwarf-growing plant among a bunch of understock. Unfortunately, the original plant died this past winter, so Dave, I believe we have the only two plants remaining.

Alex, I have a sandy loam soil, heavy on the sand. The forest consists primarily of Pinus strobus, Pinus resinosa, and Abies balsamea with Quercus rubra and Populus tremuloides mixed in. Sometimes large roots from Pinus resinosa need to be hacked back, but it's never too big of a deal. The two spruces you asked about are Picea omorika 'Gotelli Weeping' and Picea pungens 'Sester Dwarf'.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Wow Matt, thing are coming along great for you. You have made some sweet choices there. I, too, am amazed at your success with Sciadopitys 'up north'.

tj

• dietzjm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Edwin, here are two pictures of the Abies lasiocarpa 'Day Creek'. I bought it from Edelweiss Nursery which received it from Gee Farms.

Also, do you know which cultivar of Picea omorika this could be? I bought it as Picea shrenkiana 'Nana' at Conifer Kingdom.

Here's a picture of the same plant last year:

And just for fun, here's a yellow sport I found on my friend's Picea abies 'Nidiformis'. I've been watching this branch for three years. It comes out bright yellow each spring but eventually burns in the full sun.

Matt

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Matt, I was right, this isn't an Abies lasiocarpa 'Day Creek'.
    This is how a 'Day Creek' looks like:

Your's is an Abies lasiocarpa with long blue needles, probably a tree form like 'Argentea' or 'Compacta'.
    It's to early now to see which cultivar it is.
    If I were you I would stake it for a while to help it with it's upright growth.

Your fake Picea schrenkiana 'Nana' is one of the many witches' brooms of Picea omorika.
    Also for this it's to early to say which one it is, and then it will still be a problem, because there are too many look a likes...
    Maybe Sam can help you out.

Your variegated Picea abies 'Nidiformis' could be a beauty if you can protect it from sunburn.
    Please, move it to another location where the sun can't hurt it...

• monkeytreeboy15
    10 years ago

Hey, Matt.

Your Picea omorika looks like it is probably 'Günter' (syn. 'Horstmann'). Another possibility is 'Pimoko', but I don't believe this plant was offered in that size when yours was purchased..

Sorry for the mix up. I do not know how this happened!

-Sam

• dietzjm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again, Edwin, for your help.

Sam, do you guys currently sell the real Picea shrenkiana 'Nana'?

• brentm
    10 years ago

Yes, we'll ship you one on the house.

-Brent

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Hmm, it seems that I posted to many photo's lately...