Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Congested new growth, do anything?

Posted by severnside UKsouthwest9 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 12 at 11:50

On a couple of my conifers the new growth is so vigorous and dense that branches are competing to get past each other. I was wondering if I should do anything at this stage to thin them out by removing some branches that aren't going to add to the form and allow the important ones to grow trouble free. Or do they simply find their own way in the mix?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Congested new growth, do anything?

no pic???

so you are considering preemptive amputation before growth is finished???? .. based on what?? .. speculation as to the future????

very metaphysical

ken

o

Here's the crown of my Abies lasiocarpa 'Compacta' or whatever the name is. It had four upright branches each with five buds and the leader with two. So there are 22 branches in this top clump. I wondered if judicious pinching off of a couple might sort out the snarl. I was looking for people to perhaps say they do this or just crickets as that would give me the general answer.

Photobucket

o

looks just like my 6 footer ... 6 leaders .. last years center bud.. and 4 or 5 laterals growing straight up

i dont have time for a pic right now

i was also wondering if this was normal habit and the side ones eventually lean out to 45 degrees or so ... or if i should cut them off also???

i dont recall ever doing such before .. [or never noticed it, which is the usual .. lol]

is this normal growth pattern??

ken

o

Looking at pictures on Google 'Compacta' seems to vary from a single leader cone to multi leader bushy forms. Guess mine is going to be the latter. As no one has said otherwise I'll just let it sort itself out as it wants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here