Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Pinus strobus Photo Gallery 2010

Originally when I started collecting conifers I virtually ignored pines as worthy of my attention as a collector. I had not the space nor the love for the open, wirey 'non-graceful' conifers(in my young opinion then) so much that I had several hundred conifers before I had a dozen pine cultivars. Slowly they became an acquired taste and now I find them indespensible in the conifer garden, both for their showy cones and lovely, many varying forms. I'm particularly found of softer needled pines and Pinus strobus fits right in there. The lovely shades of blue and green are wonderful to my eyes, so with that, let me share a few with you(and you with me):

Pinus strobus 'Merrimack'. Almost a miniature, seems to put on a couple inches of dense growth a year. Super-shaggy style pine.

Pinus strobus 'Gold Painted'. A large upright, 'open' pine with gold patches here and there, sometimes entire branches are golden yellow.

Closeup.

'Sea Urchin'. If there is a lovelier pine, I'd like to see it.

'Sarah Rachal'. Okay, maybe this is that lovelier pine! An exceptional plant, one I acquired from Coenosium Gardens.

'Kruger's Lilliput'. A smallish dwarf, I have this in part shade, so another pine/shade experiment is in the works.

'Pacific Sunset'. No real information though I've heard it has golden hues.

'Horsford Dwarf'. On standard. A nice compact pine, lots of candles maybe grows 3-4 inches a year?

Suddenly I realize I have a lot of Pinus strobus cultivars!

I guess I like it more then even I expected.

-Will

Comments (23)

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Hi Will, here I have one that nobody does have in their collection yet.
    Pinus strobus 'Filip's Ice Dwarf'
    {{gwi:747398}}
    It's a cross between Pinus strobus 'Alba' and Pinus strobus 'Macopin'.
    This specimen is 4 years old and only 12 cm high.

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

This is one of the parents of my 'Filip's Ice Dwarf':
    Pinus strobus 'Alba' (photo taken in Spring)
    Pay attention to the nice silvery candles.

Pinus strobus 'Alba' (photo taken in Autumn)
    Pay attention to it's very nice silvery needles.

Till know I wasn't familiar with a white needled dwarf form of Pinus strobus.
    I think that this variety will have a great future for the conifer collectors!
    The only thing is that it will not produce that many scionswood every year so we have to be patience...;0)

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Very cool seedling you have there, Edwin.

Will, you have shown some of the better strobus dwarfs. Merrimack is noted to be an easily to distinguish clone due to it's yellow>B>y winter-coloration. It's somewhat slow-growing and often, dense. Krueger's Lilliput, nice little upright like a Dwarf Alberta Spruce; Sarah Rachel is it's better rival having the same shape; Sea Urchin is probably noted at thee most beautiful Pinus strobus and of course is a seedling-selected-cultivar from one of the greatest of plant breeders: Sidney Waxman, of, The University of Connecticut.

Thanks!

Dax

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Speaking of Mrs. and Mr. Waxman:

Pinus strobus 'Paul Waxman'

'Reed's Point'

'Umbraculifera'. Goodluck spelling that right.

'Chillier's C.V.'

'Beran'. A nice smallish dwarf.

'Mt. Washington'. Bad shot, sorry.

-Will

• darob
    13 years ago

I greet
    My 3 summer Pinus strobus, ADAM, about the white increase.
    I greet darob

• sluice
    13 years ago

Will, Edwin, and Darob, some nice pines there!
    That's an interesting story about the 'Filip's Ice Dwarf'.

Louie

• buddyrose
    13 years ago

Hi Will. After looking at the photos here I realized I recently bought 2 Pinus strobus Blue Shag pines. Eventually they should be 4' tall and 4' wide. Now they're just about 1 1/2' T and wide. This is a close up cuz they have the cutest little blue green nubs at the end of the branch.

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Those are likely cone formations, Rose - and hello again.

One thing to remember about trees, but particularly so with conifers is they usually don't slow down or stop growing, meaning if it's growing 4" a year right now in thirty years it will be 10(!) feet wide and high!! Fortunately you have plenty of time to train, trim, prune or even move plants before then and try to find the best spot for it.

'Blue Shag' is a nice specimen though, as are many of the pinus strobus. It might not work too well for your other 'post' problem spot though as they do tend to be very dense, fluffy(won't be able to see through) balls of fur.

-Will

• buddyrose
    13 years ago

I'll tell you Will if I had to choose a dense tree/bush it would be pine. I just love them especially the soft needle ones like my little blue shags. I would prefer a pyramid shape though I've decided. Blue Shags are more roundish???

• buddyrose
    13 years ago

Will, question. Looking at your photos of all your conifers and how small they seem in the photos... won't they all grow to be huge? Will you prune them to keep the height/width to where you want?

I'm struggling with picking just one and thinking about future size LOL.
    rose

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've yet to see an older 'Blue Shag' specimen but it appears they are 'globish' which roughly means round like a sphere.

Most of my conifers will start 'rubbing' into 3-5 years, others may take a decade(or more). The plants that seem to be harmonious will probably be allowed to grow into a relative 'mesh', like a mixed planting. Anything overtaking it's neighbors will be moved or sent to conifer heaven. I'm minor business partners with a local nursery that also operates a botanical garden, one with a LOT of space for my plants - and it's less then a mile away.

Old conifers in my garden = trade or cash, so things should work out great!

Rose, if you want to check out some really neat pines, here's one of the conifer ordering lists(with high rez pics) at one of the premier 'dwarf/miniature' mail order garden/nurseries. (LINK BELOW)

-Will

Here is a link that might be useful: Coenosium Garden Pines

• buddyrose
    13 years ago

I went to the site. I'm feeling slightly envious. MUST BUY -- I think I'll be at the nursery tomorrow.

I understand why you've grown to love them. There's something about pines that make me feel "child like" again. I know part of it is christmas and the other part is sandy beaches but I just love them.

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They are pretty magical. That they usually get better with age is just icing on top. Be careful with your credit card! :)

Pinus strobus 'Uncatena'. A shaggy little guy.

'Rigg's Dwarf'. No info.

'Niagra Falls'. Was originally bought as 'Angel Falls' and isn't pendulous enough - this name fits it better.

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Hi Will, Pinus strobus Sarah Rachel you miss-spelled as Sarah Rachal. Also it is 'Horsford' and not 'Horsford Dwarf'. Just keeping you on track buddy... I am not sure about your name change from Angel Falls to Niagra Falls. These plants are both very similar. You might want to hear what others say about this.

Dax

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

Dax, Pinus strobus 'Angel Falls' and 'Niagra Falls' are two completely different plants, with the 'Niagra Falls' originating as a witches' broom on Pinus strobus 'Pendula'. I believe it was previously called both 'Yaeger Pendula Broom', and before that just 'Pendula WB'. It is very much slower growing and a different habit to 'Angel Falls'.

• longaeva54
    13 years ago

Pinus strobus Steven Ino

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Good info Stephen, saved. I didn't take the two minutes to look at the differences...

Cool broom, longaeva. My friend found one very similar to your Steven Ino - I named Keokuk Koner for it's ornate little cones. It was found in Keokuk, Iowa, USA.

Dax

• rispetto
    13 years ago

{{gwi:747422}}
    Diggy

{{gwi:747423}}
    Golden Candle

• deltaohioz5
    13 years ago

'Umbraculifera'

'Blue Shag'

Frank

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

Pinus strobus 'Greg'

tj

• mcgyvr2009i
    11 years ago

There are more than one kind of Pinus Strobus? I thought Pinus Strobus is the White Pine? Wow. You learn something every day.

Here's my blog post about my Pinus Strobus:
    http://ianhulettblog.weebly.com/1/post/2012/06/white-pine-tree-seedling-pinus-strobus.html

Here's a picture of my Pinus Strobus "White Pine". I grew it from seed in the december of 2011 from a pine cone I "stole" off of a tree in my local hannaford parking lot. It's over a year old.

It's a multiple view of the cute little guy. The pine itself is about 4 inches in height.

• liopleurodon
    11 years ago

Hi Ian ( I presume, according to your blog)
    That's a nice guide on how to grow P. strobus. The pictures of the different stages of the seedling are very informative.

I think that you misunderstand the meaning of cultivars. They're are all Pinus strobus (Pinus strobus is a white pine), just like yours, however, most of those posted here are a special cultivar, which are slightly different from the one you have (which I presume is a regular forest species). Many of those cultivars are found as brooms (on forest species,...), etc. and then propagated.

This post was edited by liopleurodon on Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 7:05