Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is this?

Posted by sluice z6a CO (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 12:08

Saw a Juniperus osteosperma a few days ago with some of these things growing on it. Any ideas? Thanks.

J. osteosperma

J. osteosperma

J. osteosperma

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is this?

Looks like a witch's broom - That's where most funky conifer selections originate. Try grafting it onto a rootstock and see what it turns into!

o

mistletoe ?

Keith

o

kbguess,

Mistletoe was my first thought, too. I tried finding pics, but they don't look quite like that. The growth seems too different to be a broom. I hope it's not mistletoe.

Barb

o

Hmm, maybe it is a broom, or some sort of disease.

Here are a couple of pics of juniper mistletoe from a J. monosperma in New Mexico, which looks like Phoradendron juniperinum.

Phoradendron juniperinum (?)

Phoradendron juniperinum (?)

I had thought about trying to root that small rosette, and even brought one home with me.

o

Well of COURSE you brought it home, lol! It will be interesting to see how that comes out.

o

I've enjoyed reading some of the threads in this forum, as I'm a fan of conifers.

I was curious about the cute little growth on the juniper, so I went to Google. Here's what I found:

It appears to be a gall, the home of the larvae of juniper tip midge (Oligotrophus betheli).

You can look for mining and exit holes "found at the junction between living and dead tissue or at the base of the swollen portion". This is from the Pacific Northwest Insect Management Handbook: http://insects.ippc.orst.edu/pnw/insects?16LAND10.dat

This midge lays its eggs in Juniperus occidentalis, J. scopulorum, J. virginiana, but is especially common on J. osteosperma in Colorado and Utah according to the book 'Forest Entomology' by William Ciesla.

Although from western N America, the juniper tip midge is also an expat in Serbia; it was first identified there in 2007 on J. virginiana.

The number of rosettes in the gall is between 5 and 20. A photo of galls is on p.59 in www.aspensite.org/FTP/Colorado_insects_Feed_Trees.pDf

And finally, people who study galls are called cecidologists!

BTW Sluice, nice pics. Your third photo looks like that of a beautiful christmas tree ornament.

o

I've enjoyed reading some of the threads in this forum, as I'm a fan of conifers.

I was curious about the cute little growth on the juniper, so I went to Google. Here's what I found:

It appears to be a gall, the home of the larvae of juniper tip midge (Oligotrophus betheli).

You can look for mining and exit holes "found at the junction between living and dead tissue or at the base of the swollen portion". This is from the Pacific Northwest Insect Management Handbook: http://insects.ippc.orst.edu/pnw/insects?16LAND10.dat

This midge lays its eggs in Juniperus occidentalis, J. scopulorum, J. virginiana, but is especially common on J. osteosperma in Colorado and Utah according to the book 'Forest Entomology' by William Ciesla.

Although from western N America, the juniper tip midge is also an expat in Serbia; it was first identified there in 2007 on J. virginiana.

The number of rosettes in the gall is between 5 and 20. A photo of galls is on p.59 in www.aspensite.org/FTP/Colorado_insects_Feed_Trees.pDf

And finally, people who study galls are called cecidologists!

BTW Sluice, nice pics. Your third photo looks like that of a beautiful christmas tree ornament.

o

Whoops! Didn't mean to send this twice.

o

Thanks IshCountryGal!

Tomorrow I'll inspect it for mining and exit holes.

o

So here is the gall, there were 10 small rosettes.

After pulling apart each rosette, I noticed the juniper tip midge larvae were still in the gall.

Oligotrophus betheli larva in Juniperus osteosperma gall rosette

A close up of the juniper tip midge larva

o

What amazing photos! It makes me so happy when folks are curious enough to really explore. What a great learning experience, thanks for sharing!

o

Thanks greenhaven!

To complete the story, this is Glenwood Springs, CO where the gall was found. That's the Roaring Fork river coming down the valley, from Mt. Sopris in the background.
A nice mix of J. osteosperma, J. scopulorum, P. menziesii and P. edulis along this canyon.

o

Really nice work sluice! That's a mighty little midge to provoke that response from its host.

I envy you the beautiful blue sky in the last photo. We're in the midst of "June gloom" here in the pacific NW.

-m

o

Yep, Juniper gall midge. I remember seeing them on J. osteosperma in the White Mts in California. This species seems particularly prone to them, though I've read they occur on some other junipers too.

Resin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here