Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texjagman

Concerns with Aaron's Farm to share

texjagman
10 years ago

Just as an FYI to anyone who might use Aaron’s Farm Nursery for their trees, I wanted to warn you about their customer service and return policy.

I primarily garden with conifers. But I also enjoy having companion plants intermixed with them. I recently wanted to add a Sourwood tree (Oxydendrum arboreum). No-one locally carried the tree so I found a supplier online named Aaron’s Farm. They weren’t one of the big nursery suppliers as was evidenced by their inventory list but their pricing looked really good. So I ordered a 6-7’ tree from them for spring delivery. Nice price…only $80 dollars shipped.

I read their replacement warranty and was concerned from the beginning. But in my experience I lose very few traditional trees. So I ordered it anyway. They include in their warranty that if you do not let them prune the tree by 30% prior to shipping they will not guarantee the tree.

Well again, I lose very few regular trees and I didn’t want my 7’ tree cut down to a 5’ tree so I requested they not prune it. I received the tree on time but saw immediately the box was small. When I opened it I found a 52” stick, 4-5” of which was a small branch Y at the top. I looked at the packing slip and my request to NOT prune the tree was right on the slip and had even been highlighted with a marker by someone. But they did it anyway. I emailed them immediately and expressed my frustration but at the same time acknowledged that at least now it would be guaranteed. I received no reply.

When I got ready to plant the tree I unwrapped the large paper wad at the base and was surprised there were no fibrous roots at all, only a couple of major anchor roots. I planted it to the original crown, mulched the base to 1-2” away from the trunk, watered it in and then wrote a second email again expressing concern there were no fibrous water roots on the tree. And now I have a real concern because our hot summer temps are not that far away. Again I received no reply.

So now I’m just kind of ticked off but thought if the tree buds out then I won’t have to worry about it and I’ll just move on. Well time has marched on and it is a dead stick. So I went back to review the details again of their return policy and it is as follows:

1) First you have to fill out a return authorization request for the tree. It can only be sent in after the growing season. Then if approved you can return it

2) If approved they want the tree packed in the original box with a copy of the original order and packing slip. That means you have to keep any box of something you order from them in anticipation of returning it. Freight to return the dead stick in that large a box will cost me as an individual probably $15 or so dollars.

3) And finally they want you to enclose a check for a minimum of either $20 or 20% of the purchase price, whichever is largest to cover shipping on the replacement tree. So now I have $35 more dollars invested in getting my dead tree replaced.

So they want me to pay half the original purchase price to get something replaced they shipped incorrectly to begin with, and they shipped dead. I don’t think so. So if you’re thinking of using Aaron’s for your next tree or shrub order, keep these facts in mind.

Comments (12)

• ricksample
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That's definitely a horrible company. I've only had 1 or 2 bad experiences in the past, but the companies made it right. I remember I had just a concern about one of the trees I received from SongSparrow about root rot. I told them that I didn't need a replacement and I was going to plant it to see if it'll be ok, but just wanted them to note it just incase something happened. Then if something happened they could send a replacement. They said they wouldn't do that, but for me to plant the tree I had a concern with just incase it pulls through and in the meantime they would ship me a free replacement. That's good customer service and is why I'm a returning customer.

Requesting the tree back is bad practice.

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

As I mentioned in the tree forum topic, Aaron's Farm is a pseudonym for TyTy! People like texjagman know better than to shop at TyTy, that's why they have so many names...

And don't forget to leave another nasty review on garden watchdog! They (TyTy) are truly criminals I tell ya.

John

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

texjagman,

Did you pay with a credit card?

If so, call them and contest the bill.

If they are predominantly mail order you can expect a full refund.

Dave

• fairfield8619
    10 years ago

I never order from a new nursery without checking the Garden Watchdog, it is an invaluable resource. Sorry you got bitten.

• baxswoh
    10 years ago

Agree with all of the above, but you should know that even when Sourwood is dug to AAN specifications (ball size to size caliper etc.) it is a difficult tree to transplant. That company should know better than to try and mail box a tree like that. They deserve all of the bad reps.

• texjagman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As for the money, I'm just going to blow it off. At my age it isn't worth the effort to go through a long fight unless it's a lot of money. People are always asking about sources here so I mainly wanted to rasie the awareness flag.

baxz5oh, it's an old native tree of the east coast. I had no idea it was such a tricky tree to grow and transplant. So you think this may be a bad choice to try and sucessfully order from anywhere?

Mark

• botann
    10 years ago

Ricksample, you're right on with them requesting the tree back is bad practice.
    Good review on SongSparrow!
    Mike

• baxswoh
    10 years ago

Mark: It is a good tree, just difficult to transplant. Nurseries that field grow these are very particular as to when they dig these. They do not fit the dormancy template of other deciduous trees.

• texjagman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

After hearing my whines, my primary local nursery has agreed to bring in one for me this fall. But the last comment from baxz5oh concerns me.

When you say doesn't fit the normal template, when is it recommended to actually dig this tree?

mark

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

texjagman, if you really want this tree, do not get a bnb! This should be container grown (in a rootmaker pot preferably!). You might even start a few from seed and go the old fashioned way if you get really desperate.

John

Edit: This coming from someone who successfully transplanted a 20' bnb shagbark hickory! Sourwood is not meant for bnb treatment for us. In its native range, they might have some success this way but not here. Have I stressed my opinion enough? Good luck to you which ever way you decide to proceed =)

This post was edited by j0nd03 on Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 11:20

• botann
    10 years ago

I have two and have found them to be very fussy when it comes to transplanting. Both barely made it. One has barely grown in 15 years. The other sulked for a few years and then grew fast to 25 ft., (8 meters) only to break off at the butt in an ice storm. Even here in the Pacific Northwest, they aren't found in most nurseries.
    Perhaps a Parrotia might fit your garden better. A tough tree with nice Fall color.
    Good luck on your new Sourwood.
    Mike

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

I had two Oxydendrum and finally gave up on them as here they were really out of their element. I think that my neutral soil was the main problem. From what I can tell they really, really do not want neutral or alkaline pH, hence the name.

Sara