Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Large Norway Spruce - is this on the way out?

Posted by chester_grant 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 7, 11 at 12:13

This NS was planted as a 7 footer six years ago, and I previously posted about my concern about its rusty looking interior needles. Folks said not to worry.
Its new candling is fine - except the leader; see picture. The leader is 20 ft up so it was hard to reach and cut down, needed a ladder and a fully extended double pole cutter...

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm45/chester_grant/?action=view&current=IMG_1052.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm45/chester_grant/?action=view¤t=IMG_1051.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm45/chester_grant/?action=view¤t=IMG_0397.jpg" target="_blank">Rusty Norway Spruce

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Large Norway Spruce - is this on the way out?

Looks similar to damage from white pine weevil. They kill the leader. And yes, that critter goes to spruce.

o

To look for weevil - excellent suggestion - I cut the leader down the middle and opened it up but there was no sign of telltale larvae or insects between the bark and the woody center.....in the very center of the cutting from the top of the leader down to three inches or so the wood is a brown and powdery.

o

"in the very center of the cutting from the top of the leader down to three inches or so the wood is a brown and powdery"

Yep, that's weevil damage - the brown powder is weevil turds. They've likely finished and moved on now, which is why you haven't found the weevils themselves.

Resin

o

Forgot to mention, the tree will grow a new replacement leader (or maybe more than one, in which case you'll need to prune second leaders out later).

Resin

o

I cut the top off just above a side branch which will hopefully be the new leader.
If this rusty looking specimen survives.

o

Spring 2012 Update!:

This tree is producing new candles so its not dead yet;
however it now has multiple side branches at the top (as I removed the subject dead leader).
The tree is noticeably thinner in density compared to to the other (25) norway spruces I have planted over the property. In fact I am considering transplanting a small "safety" spruce in fornt of it as insurance so that IF it does die there will not be a large gap along my border.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here