Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hbflair

Lemon Cypress

hbflair
16 years ago

Have any of you heard of a "Lemon Cypress". I bought it from Lowes the other day (about 15 inches tall). It had a different look to it so I decided to give it a try. It has bright yellow foliage with a citronella scent. There was no Latin name on the container and the Lowes staff had no idea. Not even sure I asked. I also got a 7 ft. Picea Abies "Pendula" for $65.00 and 2 ft Abies firma (Momi Fir)for 10$. I could not believe the prices. They had most of their trees on sale for 50-75% off.

Comments (12)

• pineresin
    16 years ago

Seems to be a nursery name for Cupressus macrocarpa 'Goldcrest'.

Resin

Here is a link that might be useful: Some info

• hbflair
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Resin, Thanks for the info. Any thoughts on how large the Picea abies "pendula" will get. I have seen varying sizes..from 8ft to 30ft. I would assume that it will get quit large since it appears that this years growth already has about 8 inches of growth.

• pineresin
    16 years ago

Picea abies 'Pendula' - one in Britain is 13m tall (Tree register of the British Isles).

Resin

• vancleaveterry
    16 years ago

would this grow zone nine gulf coast?

• pineresin
    16 years ago

Sorry, no, neither the cypress nor the spruce (wasn't sure which you were referring to!). They can't cope with the summer heat down there.

Resin

• vancleaveterry
    16 years ago

Thank you Resin.

BTW I was referring to the Lemon cypress.

hbflair is from zone 8, so I was hopefull.

• pineresin
    16 years ago

It is hardy in zone 8, but only where summers are cool, as on the Pacific Coast fog belt where the species comes from (think of the quote "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco").

Checked on hbflair's user page, and he's from SC, so it unfortunately turns out to be another case of zone denial by the Big Box stores . . . at least the Abies firma should do well there.

Resin

• vancleaveterry
    16 years ago

hbflair, keep us posted, I too am always in zone denial :-)
    Thanks as always Resin!

Terry

• hbflair
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just an update on the "Lemon Cypress" in S.C. I planted it out in Full sun in late June. Mulched heavily and pampered it with extra H2O. It has done quite well this summer. I have made sure that it had adequate water with the three straight weeks of 100+ temps and NO rain. So far so good. No burn and has about two inches of new growth.

• greenlarry
    16 years ago

Well this is handy,as i just happen to be querying a golden conifer with lemon scent elsewhere,then this pops up :)

• bcarrington
    16 years ago

Help!
    I bought 2 lemon cypress trees, i repotted them, gave them purified water, and they are indoors. But now the leaves are hardening and some are breaking off! I dont know what I did wrong, I am thinking about returning them to the store, but not if I can revive them. Any advise?
    Thank you :)

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Sound like they got dried out. Maybe you had trouble getting them repotted.