Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Picea omorika & Guests

Posted by gardener365 IL 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 13:18

My seedlings are coming along. These were bare-root planted spring of 2008 and were 3-4 year at 18" apprx. guessing.

Picea omorika
Picea omorika photo AledoProperty20132017Piceaomorika_zpse1371881.jpg

Picea omorika
Picea omorika photo AledoProperty20132018Piceaomorika_zpsec760f74.jpg

Picea omorika
Picea omorika photo AledoProperty20132019Piceaomorika_zps89fed5f5.jpg

Picea omorika
Picea omorika photo AledoProperty20132023Piceaomorika_zpsde4304cb.jpg

Picea omorika
Picea omorika photo AledoProperty20132024Piceaomorika_zps2f26fca6.jpg

Picea omorika
Picea omorika photo AledoProperty20132022Piceaomorika_zpsad24c201.jpg

Picea omorika
Picea omorika photo AledoProperty20132023Piceaomorika_zpsde4304cb.jpg

Picea omorika
Picea omorika photo AledoProperty20132024Piceaomorika_zps2f26fca6.jpg

Picea omorika
Picea omorika photo AledoProperty20132025Piceaomorika_zps60e54126.jpg

Picea omorika
Picea omorika photo AledoProperty20132026Piceaomorika_zps4b33ada8.jpg

Picea torano
Picea torano photo AledoProperty20132015Piceatorano_zps0a73a615.jpg

Picea torano
Picea torano photo AledoProperty20132016Piceatorano_zps10d86505.jpg

Pinus heldreichii 'Indigo Eyes' conelet, bud, needle sheath
Pinus heldreichii 'Indigo Eyes' conelet and bud & needle sheath photo AledoProperty20132014PinusheldreichiiIndigoEyesConeletandBud_zps984722eb.jpg

Abies x arnoldiana
Abies x arnoldiana (Abies koreana x Abies veitchii) photo AledoProperty20132021Abiesxarnoldiana_zpsd1eb3bd5.jpg

Abies nordmanniana
Abies nordmanniana photo AledoProperty20132027Abiesnordmanniana_zpsd10cf2a3.jpg

Thuja occidentalis 'Sherwood Frost'
Thuja occidentalis 'Sherwood Frost' photo AledoProperty20132028ThujaoccidentalisSherwoodFrost_zpsd8acdda9.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Picea omorika & Guests

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 13:32

Here's my Picea omorikas I received from Dax from the same batch as his. Not near as large. They're going in the ground today. I finally have a place for them.
That's a Cupressus x notabilis on the right.
Mike

o

Thanks botann!Notabilis from seed or cutting?Doug

o

Great looking trees. I love the species Picea omorika.
Richard

o

Those are cuttings of x notabilis, A guy on here sent them to me and there are (2) clones, Doug. It's tough to know if they're the real deal or not until cones form.

For comparison to seedling-omorika's:
Picea omorika 'Gotelli Weeping'
Picea omorika 'Gotelli Weeping' photo AledoProperty20132030PiceaomorikaGotelliWeeping_zps2f80e7ca.jpg

Richard, I could be happy with all omorika on my land. I love em.

I am double posting this to Will's current thread:
Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn'
Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn' photo AledoProperty20132029PiceaomorikaPeveTijn_zpsfca09730.jpg

Dax

o

Wonderful and healthy omorikas, Dax!! Veeery nice:) And Peve Tijn is gorgeous.... very powerful... Your property is great - plenty of room for trees :)

How to feel nordmanianas your zone 5? I am frightened that they are very sensitive to cold. I still have not, but this summer, plan to buy one...

Ireena

o

Hello Ireena,

Nordmann is very hardy. I have some 20+ growing here. And they are not fussy about clay soil, loamy clay, or rich soil as all three soil types I have.

Your compliments are well received!

Dax

o

Dax, All the trees you show here look great,I need more land! Also it looks like you and your new camera are getting along well. I really like the shot of Pinus heldreichii 'Indigo Eyes'! You could frame that picture and hang it.

Rob

o

Gotta love those omorika's. Thanks for showing those and the others.

tj

o

Rob, you know it. Have heard from a few friends they had difficulty with the glauca wb's, however some grafted. This is information from one friend who commented that another grafter didn't have good takes, either...when I know more I'll shoot you an email. It may be a while. I'll be visiting Hermsen in a week or two, however.

Tommy-Machine-Gun, they're tight & you are welcome sir.

Later!

Dax

o

Dax I bet you can't believe how things are coming along and you look out on your land and can actually see your conifers without searching instead of trying to spot them. They all look fantastic. The nordmanniana and omorika's are choice plants. I can just imagine another 5 years and what your property will look like.

Mike yours look great also. If you would, be sure to shoot some photos of their new locations for us.
Cher

o

Indeed on all levels Cher.

Dax

o

Enjoyed seeing the omorika's, they look great. I needed some wind break trees to my south and didn't want to "blue spruce" it. Was lucky enough to find some 4ft omorikas. Hope mine do as well as these.

o

Dax, your omorikas are really starting to show their stuff. They look terrific!

Dan

o

Omorika is a favorite here too. Your species trees are growing into champs Dax. You should consider a time lapse thread a la "5 years of Picea omorika", it would be very interesting to see the transition from 18" seedling to small tree.

It's quite interesting to see the differences between your plants and Mike's, both of which were grown from the same seedling lot. Looks like differences both in-ground/container and sun exposure are at play here.

Alex

o

Thank you Gents.

Harv, with that soil of yours, it's icing on the cake.

Dan, you're a champ. Your spruce bed is fantastic.....

Alex, you captured my exact thoughts regarding Mike's plants.
I'll see if I can put together something.

Dax

o

Dax, those Picea omorika specimens are having a great time at your property!
Maybe some they one of them will produce a broom... :0)

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 10:05

Alex and Dax, you're are both right. The omorikas weren't in full sun for a good part of the day last year. My watering schedule was fairly consistant, but there were a few lapses when I was gone on a few trips.
Plus I made my own potting soil from partially decayed wood chips and a little topsoil. I had to balance porosity with water retention, knowing I would be gone at times. They would have done better with more sun and better drainage. Porosity of container mixes can not be underestimated. Right,Edwin? They have never been fertilized either.
So, time to put them in the ground. Maybe I can do it today between showers. Hopefully they can catch up to Dax's. I did what Ken did, ran water to all parts of the garden a long time ago. We have dry summers....all two weeks of it. ;-)
Mike

o

Those Omorikas are doing very well.. Good stuff.
You have an amazing garden going.. How do you water all your trees? I use a watering can, kind of a pain, but good exercise.. How about you? : )

J

o

Right on MIke. ;)

Edwin, I've thought it believe me! :-)

OK. Progression photos. I only had (1) 'lousy' photo from 2009 of all omorika's planted. Here goes:

Picea omorika 2009 (already in the ground 1.5 years)
Picea omorika 2009 photo AledoProperty20091777Piceaomorikaseedling_zps75e563d6.jpg

Picea omorika 2010
Picea omorika 2010 photo AledoProperty2010745Piceaomorikaseedling_zpsfbb3da83.jpg

Picea omorika 2010
Picea omorika 2010 photo AledoProperty2010907Piceaomorika_zps0ddd8d36.jpg

Picea omorika 2010
Picea omorika 2010 photo AledoProperty20102019Piceaomorika_zps6d88e2ee.jpg

Picea omorika 2011 late winter
Picea omorika 2011 photo AledoMarch142011018Piceaomorika_zps91f7d94f.jpg

Picea omorika 2011 late winter
Picea omorika 2011 photo AledoMarch142011027Piceaomorika_zps7b78649b.jpg

Picea omorika 2011 - spring & growth beginning
Picea omorika 2011 photo AledoProperty20112073PiceaomorikaandPiceaabiesAureaJakobsen_zps5e7dbd44.jpg

Picea omorika 2011 - spring and buds are breaking
Picea omorika 2011 photo AledoProperty20112075Piceaomorika_zpsb8786f3f.jpg

Picea omorika 2011 - beginning to grow
Picea omorika 2011 photo AledoProperty20112077Piceaomorika_zps0f654c9c.jpg

Picea omorika - summer. Growth has hardened off
Picea omorika 2011 photo AledoProperty20113201Piceaomorika_zps8db3c03d.jpg

Picea omorika 2012 - buds just breaking
Picea omorika 2012 photo AledoProperty20122137Piceaomorika_zpsfaf631bb.jpg

========

Progression of Picea omorika 'Gotelli Weeping'

Picea omorika 'Gotelli Weeping' pl.2008
Picea omorika 'Gotelli Weeping' pl. 2008 photo PiceaomorikaGotelliWeeping2008_zpscd64fc06.jpg

Picea omorika 'Gotelli Weeping' 2008 after first growth
Picea omorika 'Gotelli Weeping' 2008 after growth for that year photo PiceaomorikaGotelliWeeping2008479_zps06f6a707.jpg

Picea omorika 'Gotelli Weeping' 2009
Picea omorika 'Gotelli Weeping' 2009 photo AledoProperty20091659PiceaomorikaGotelliWeeping_zps09c87595.jpg

Picea omorika 'Gotelli Weeping' Sept. 2010
Picea omorika 'Gotelli Weeping' Sept. 2010 photo WintergreenSeedlingsSept2010068PiceaomorikaGotelliWeeping_zpsf826be5b.jpg

Picea omorika 'Gotelli Weeping' 2011
Picea omorika 'Gotelli Weeping' 2011 photo AledoProperty2011168PiceaomorikaGotelliWeeping_zps14b8d41f.jpg

Picea omorika 'Gotelli Weeping' 2012
Picea omorika 'Gotelli Weeping' 2012 photo AledoProperty20122117PiceaomorikaGotelliWeeping_zps8dd5b709.jpg

Picea omorika 'Gotelli Weeping' 2013
Picea omorika 'Gotelli Weeping' photo AledoProperty20132030PiceaomorikaGotelliWeeping_zps2f80e7ca.jpg

====================

Progression photos: Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn'

Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn' 2008 - Coenosium Gardens 1-gallon
Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn' 2008 photo PiceaomorikaPeveTijn2008_zps63463640.jpg

Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn' 2010
Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn' 2010 photo AledoProperty20102833PiceaomorikaPeveTijn_zpsf8f8a7ed.jpg

Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn' 2012
Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn' 2012 photo CopyofAledoProperty20122116PiceaomorikaPeveTijn_zpsbbdc8602.jpg

Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn' 2013
Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn' photo AledoProperty20132029PiceaomorikaPeveTijn_zpsfca09730.jpg

Hope you enjoyed!

Dax

o

Hey Taxi-J,

I have a 10-gallon spot sprayer tank that runs off the battery of my mower and is pulled in a garden cart. The nozzle can be adjusted for perfect water displacement. It puts out 1-gallon per minute.

Dax

o

That is one good thread!!! Dax, I know the big picture is coming into focus now!.....kudos!
Al

o

itxtNodeId="1012">Al

This post was edited by alley_cat on Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 13:17

o

Dax, thanks for the progression pics, it's always good to see how the conifers are developing in a good way at your Arboretum.

With all respect for the Watnong Nursery who discovered the 'Gotelli Weeping', but in my opinion it isn't differend from it's species.
I think it was given a name to fast.
Your comparison pics are showing this to us, but also mature specimens doesn't show a weeping habit which is differend from it's species....

o

Mike, you're right about the potting mix.
You never got to underestimated it, because the quality and growing circumstances of the plant are depending on it.
You've to find a balance for a good drainage, but it also has to keep some water for a longer time...

o

Very cool progression photos. Things have really taken off over the last few years.

Last month I planted a set of 5 1-gal. P. omorika 'Pendula's. You have inspired me to go out and get some pictures to begin tracking their growth now. :0)

Alex

o

Looks like you hit the jack pot on this thread.

I always love the omorika species and the great cultivars that come from them.

The Picea omorika 'Gotelli Weeping' is a stand out. Mine seems slower growing then yours. Probably because it doesn't see full sun for 8 hours.

We have been friends from way back when you lived in the other house with the postage stamp lot. Its been a good ride for both of us.

Always enjoy your posts and continually follow your development of your arboretum. Time to put up that sign and a photo of it.

Dave

o

Hi Edwin, you may be correct. I like the plant, regardless, as I know anyone would. It does have recurva foliage that exposes more silver than any of my seedlings, so really it is attractive to a cultivar garden.

Hi AL', hey bud thanks for chiming.

Alex, indeed, indeed, indeed. Glad you liked them because omorika are rockin' cool. My Nordmann's are growing 1/2 the rate so in a few years more, or three, I'll be ready for a thread like this one........ Nordmanns are awesome firs.

Dax

o

Dax, I was talking about it's shape, which isn't weeping as it's name would suggest.
The needle colour is nice, but I've seen several look alikes at Dutch Christmas trees plantations which are growing them by the thousands...

o

I understood you the first time, Edwin. I simply made my own case as to why it's more colorful than what seedlings I have growing here. And, it lives in a small area of my gardens that is ratio 90% cultivars so it. As further I think, Watnong and Gotelli back so many years ago probably wanted to select something with color while wrong or right...so they do what they did. The options back days were very slim..., but I understand what you say easily.

Dave, I just now see your post. Ok, I will work on my sign. We've been great friends and I really appreciate that. While you diligently garden on a smaller plot, I have an immense area to call a "garden." And yes, my 'Gotelli Weeping' sees 12 hours of sun easily...

Kindest regards,

Dax

o

Dax,

Here is what you have to look forward to for your garden. This is the original tree in the Gotelli Collection at the National Arboretum where it was named. It is a nice tree and has American historical significance. Especially since the original died a few years ago.

Don't forget to pick up your beeches at Denny's. Plant them in a equilateral triangle pattern so you can swing your hammock in different directions.

Nice pics of your omorikas.

Bob

o

That's a gem. It weeps enough for me :-)

I'm glad you mentioned the equilateral part. I've never hung a hammock and went googling last week trying to understand everything about them and I still admit I am a bit foggy on the matter. You know what cultivar I'm to pick up... do you have a recommendation for spacing, for me? I could use a little help.

Thank you sir,

Dax

o

I'm not a hammock expert but I would guess a 15' spacing on the trees would work. When they trunk up there will be 13'-14' between them and that is the distance for a hammock with spreader bars.

They are Fagus 'Red Obelisk'. When you are older and your back is giving out they should be just about the right size to hang your hammock.

Bob

o

You're king. Have a wonderful weekend.

Dax

o

The omorika are doing beautifully on your property Dax! I don't know about you, but it's such a good feeling when you start dialing in on what really grows well within the conditions of ones individual property It all takes time, observation, and a willingness to accept and remove what doesn't work (I'm still coming to terms with that one).

Keep the photos coming,
Barbara

o

Thanks Barbara. I've learned that Picea engelmannii on its own roots will not grow here. When grafted, it grows with ease, on another rootstock. I've learned about heavy clay soils on one area of my property...stuff I'd call muck. There have been replacements on that (hillside) that I'm finding work. Thuja's do great; Nordmann fir does good. I'm sure there are other things I'm leaving out, but I haven't had to deal very much with issues. Of course a lot of information is floating around about conifers that grow here, while not information is around for you.

I'll try to keep the photos coming. I have a few conifers I recently transplanted to their new home. I'll add those to this thread.

Dax

o

I moved these two a few days ago to their permanent home.

Picea glauca 'Terry's Variegated'
Picea glauca 'Terry's Variegated' photo AledoProperty20132047PiceaglaucaTerrysVariegated_zpsa641e577.jpg

Picea orientalis 'Gowdy Gold'
Picea orientalis 'Gowdy Gold' photo AledoProperty20132046PiceaorientalisGowdyGold_zpsf2c0ca8e.jpg

Today I literally scared myself because I couldn't breath after dragging this on a tarp and then hauling back soil to where it came from... all on a tarp.

Thuja occidentalis 'Watnong Gold'
Thuja occidentalis 'Watnong Gold' photo AledoProperty20132043ThujaoccidentalisWatnongGold_zpse9a77b35.jpg

It was around the left side of my home and past a three car garage:
Thuja occidentalis 'Watnong Gold' & seedling Viburnum dentatum of Red Feather photo AledoProperty20132044ThujaoccidentalisWatnongGold_zps5328e659.jpg

My replacement. The oak that does stop growing at 4-5 meters and takes forty years to get there.
Quercus dentata 'Pinnatifida'
Quercus dentata 'Pinnatifida' photo AledoProperty20132038QuercusdentataPinnatifida_zps37186460.jpg

Quercus dentata 'Pinnatifida'
Quercus dentata 'Pinnatifida' photo AledoProperty20132040QuercusdentataPinnatifida_zpse4018a84.jpg

And a few more:

A blue/powder blue chance seedling of Picea omorika
Picea omorika seedling blue/powder blue color photo AledoProperty20132045Piceaomorikablue-color_zps2d4b92e3.jpg

Picea pungens 'Spring Ghost' in my temp bed - about a 4 year old graft now. It sees light about 3 hours in the afternoon.
 photo AledoProperty20132048PiceapungensSpringGhost_zps5bdb54b6.jpg

One of my seed-grown from 2007 of seeds collected at Bickelhaupt Arboretum from their Thuja occidentalis 'Hetz Wintergreen'. Thuja occidentalis #116 Dax's Seedlings
Thuja occidentalis #116 Dax's Seedlings photo AledoProperty20132049Thujaoccidentalis116DaxsSeedlings_zps97a78d94.jpg

Dax

o

Dax, that powder blue chance Picea omorika seedling has a very nice colour!
Is this your find?

o

Yes, my friend Don from Treehaven Nursery where I buy so many seedlings finds these gems and saves them for me when he sends my order. So technically it's a seedling that I have because of Don. Its color is very, very, very blue. You know how a camera cannot see it so perfectly as the human eye does. It's not green at all, but 100% blue.

Dax

o

Nice pictures, Dax. It's interesting to see the natural variation in your omorika seedlings. That blue omorika is extremely nice. It looks almost like a glauca.

o

Thanks Matt.

I think the phone is going to begin ringing off the hook for that omorika.

Cheers mate,

Dax

o

What's your phone number, Dax? LOL
That is nice indeed.

tj

o

ahhhhhhhh, yes.

Dax

o

Stunning. Your progression pictures are amazing. I cannot get over the tremendous growth. You obviously have figured out what to do for maximum return.

o

Hi Joe, thanks:

It's all about fixing all roots prior to planting so no "J" roots are present and as well directing the roots as evenly as possible so not one is overlapping or touching another. The other half is to water, and water often. Mulch at planting time, enough for a few years, is also something I do. After established & when the mulch runs thin or is absent, I don't re-mulch because I have too many trees and shrubs and it's not economical, for myself. If I could afford to, I would.

Thanks again,

Dax

o

Ok, 2014, June 17th: One of the seedlings is 8' tall now. I can't reach the leader to measure the new growth. All are growing at 16" (slowest) and 20" the faster:

Picea omorika growth rate 2014 IL, USA Year 6 from 18" Seedling pl. 2008
Picea omorika growth rate 2014 IL, USA Year 6 from 18" Seedling pl. 2008 photo Piceaomorikagrowthrate2014andRandomJune17013.jpg

Picea omorika growth rate 2014 photo Piceaomorikagrowthrate2014andRandomJune17015.jpg

Picea omorika growth rate 2014 IL, USA Year 6 from 18" Seedling p. 2008 photo Piceaomorikagrowthrate2014andRandomJune17018.jpg

Picea omorika growth rate 2014 IL, USA Year 6 from 18" Seedling p. 2008 photo Piceaomorikagrowthrate2014andRandomJune17021.jpg

Picea omorika growth rate 2014 IL, USA Year 6 from 18" Seedling p. 2008 photo Piceaomorikagrowthrate2014andRandomJune17023.jpg

Picea omorika growth rate 2014 IL, USA Year 6 from 18" Seedling pl. 2008 photo Piceaomorikagrowthrate2014andRandomJune17025.jpg

Picea abies 'Elegantissima' growth rate 22" 2014, IL, USA
 photo Piceaomorikagrowthrate2014andRandomJune17001.jpg

Dax

o

Thanks for this update, Dax, your family of Serbians is quite impressive. It's great to see what they can do when fully established. This thread is extremely valuable for your progression photos. It's also just nice to read through this thread again since there's so much interesting content.

Last spring, thie thread inspired me to plant 5 young P. omorika 'Pendula's. They were about 3 feet tall last winter when one of them had the leader eaten off (and spit back out) by a deer. The other four are doing well. I replaced the damaged plant with a P. omorika 'Bruns' of about the same size and now all are doing well. I need to remember to photograph them each year to capture their growth.

Thanks for taking the time.

Alex

o

Good work Dax.

o

My pleasure guys.

I think omorika is one of the coolest of conifers. Seedlings, or cultivars... they draw me and likely most of us to them.

What always gets me is every book or online publication that they are slow-growers. Maybe it's just my climate, but they are anything but slow.

Dax

o

Yours also look more wide for their height compared to many pictured.

o

Interesting spruces Dax keep up the good work.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 17:00

Dax, how about an updated pic on that blue chance seedling? Could it potentially be a hybrid?

Serbian spruce is now my favorite spruce since orientalis is out.

o

I've always thought the same, severn. My 'Gotelli Weeping' however is as wide as photo 2. Up above Bob Fincham posted a larger Gotelli Weeping and it's not wide as it ages. I really don't know what's going to happen.

Thank you Euan.

Working on that Will. Rain stopped me from getting a pic earlier today. The deal is that Resin said it looks like pungens as you are likely to recall. The form though is every bit of omorika. I'll write a note for tomorrow.

Dax

o

It's a pungens...... looking at the shoot underside sealed the deal for me; additionally, needles are too thick, buds are darker color, etc:

Spruce photo SpruceOutstandingBlue003.jpg

Spruce photo SpruceOutstandingBlue004.jpg

lead shoot:
Spruce photo SpruceOutstandingBlue006.jpg

side branch w/bud:
Spruce photo SpruceOutstandingBlue009.jpg

new growth underside (white color, needle undersides not silver at all; so pungens-looking I didn't feel I even had to compare to other pungens in my landscape.)
Spruce photo SpruceOutstandingBlue010.jpg

Dax

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 15:32

Oh well, the rest are looking pretty good.

I should have just gotten 1 gallon plants and bare-rooted them exclusively. Most of the 3 gallon plants are just a joke and they end up dieing...doesn't matter where I get them...exception Western Evergreen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here