Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener365

Picea omorika & Guests

gardener365
10 years ago

My seedlings are coming along. These were bare-root planted spring of 2008 and were 3-4 year at 18" apprx. guessing.

Picea omorika

Picea omorika

Picea omorika

Picea omorika

Picea omorika

Picea omorika

Picea omorika

Picea omorika

Picea omorika

Picea omorika

Picea torano

Picea torano

Pinus heldreichii 'Indigo Eyes' conelet, bud, needle sheath

Abies x arnoldiana

Abies nordmanniana

Thuja occidentalis 'Sherwood Frost'

Comments (54)

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wonderful and healthy omorikas, Dax!! Veeery nice:) And Peve Tijn is gorgeous.... very powerful... Your property is great - plenty of room for trees :)

How to feel nordmanianas your zone 5? I am frightened that they are very sensitive to cold. I still have not, but this summer, plan to buy one...

Ireena

• gardener365
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello Ireena,

Nordmann is very hardy. I have some 20+ growing here. And they are not fussy about clay soil, loamy clay, or rich soil as all three soil types I have.

Your compliments are well received!

Dax

• hungrymind
    10 years ago

Dax, All the trees you show here look great,I need more land! Also it looks like you and your new camera are getting along well. I really like the shot of Pinus heldreichii 'Indigo Eyes'! You could frame that picture and hang it.

Rob

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Gotta love those omorika's. Thanks for showing those and the others.

tj

• gardener365
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rob, you know it. Have heard from a few friends they had difficulty with the glauca wb's, however some grafted. This is information from one friend who commented that another grafter didn't have good takes, either...when I know more I'll shoot you an email. It may be a while. I'll be visiting Hermsen in a week or two, however.

Tommy-Machine-Gun, they're tight & you are welcome sir.

Later!

Dax

• Cher
    10 years ago

Dax I bet you can't believe how things are coming along and you look out on your land and can actually see your conifers without searching instead of trying to spot them. They all look fantastic. The nordmanniana and omorika's are choice plants. I can just imagine another 5 years and what your property will look like.

Mike yours look great also. If you would, be sure to shoot some photos of their new locations for us.
    Cher

• gardener365
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Indeed on all levels Cher.

Dax

• harv2016
    10 years ago

Enjoyed seeing the omorika's, they look great. I needed some wind break trees to my south and didn't want to "blue spruce" it. Was lucky enough to find some 4ft omorikas. Hope mine do as well as these.

• dansgrdn
    10 years ago

Dax, your omorikas are really starting to show their stuff. They look terrific!

Dan

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

Omorika is a favorite here too. Your species trees are growing into champs Dax. You should consider a time lapse thread a la "5 years of Picea omorika", it would be very interesting to see the transition from 18" seedling to small tree.

It's quite interesting to see the differences between your plants and Mike's, both of which were grown from the same seedling lot. Looks like differences both in-ground/container and sun exposure are at play here.

Alex

• gardener365
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Gents.

Harv, with that soil of yours, it's icing on the cake.

Dan, you're a champ. Your spruce bed is fantastic.....

Alex, you captured my exact thoughts regarding Mike's plants.
    I'll see if I can put together something.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Dax, those Picea omorika specimens are having a great time at your property!
    Maybe some they one of them will produce a broom... :0)

• botann
    10 years ago

Alex and Dax, you're are both right. The omorikas weren't in full sun for a good part of the day last year. My watering schedule was fairly consistant, but there were a few lapses when I was gone on a few trips.
    Plus I made my own potting soil from partially decayed wood chips and a little topsoil. I had to balance porosity with water retention, knowing I would be gone at times. They would have done better with more sun and better drainage. Porosity of container mixes can not be underestimated. Right,Edwin? They have never been fertilized either.
    So, time to put them in the ground. Maybe I can do it today between showers. Hopefully they can catch up to Dax's. I did what Ken did, ran water to all parts of the garden a long time ago. We have dry summers....all two weeks of it. ;-)
    Mike

• taxo_man
    10 years ago

Those Omorikas are doing very well.. Good stuff.
    You have an amazing garden going.. How do you water all your trees? I use a watering can, kind of a pain, but good exercise.. How about you? : )

J

• gardener365
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Right on MIke. ;)

Edwin, I've thought it believe me! :-)

OK. Progression photos. I only had (1) 'lousy' photo from 2009 of all omorika's planted. Here goes:

Picea omorika 2009 (already in the ground 1.5 years)

Picea omorika 2010

Picea omorika 2010

Picea omorika 2010

Picea omorika 2011 late winter

Picea omorika 2011 late winter

Picea omorika 2011 - spring & growth beginning

Picea omorika 2011 - spring and buds are breaking

Picea omorika 2011 - beginning to grow

Picea omorika - summer. Growth has hardened off

Picea omorika 2012 - buds just breaking

========

Progression of Picea omorika 'Gotelli Weeping'

Picea omorika 'Gotelli Weeping' pl.2008

Picea omorika 'Gotelli Weeping' 2008 after first growth

Picea omorika 'Gotelli Weeping' 2009

Picea omorika 'Gotelli Weeping' Sept. 2010

Picea omorika 'Gotelli Weeping' 2011

Picea omorika 'Gotelli Weeping' 2012

Picea omorika 'Gotelli Weeping' 2013

====================

Progression photos: Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn'

Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn' 2008 - Coenosium Gardens 1-gallon

Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn' 2010

Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn' 2012

Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn' 2013

Hope you enjoyed!

Dax

• gardener365
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Taxi-J,

I have a 10-gallon spot sprayer tank that runs off the battery of my mower and is pulled in a garden cart. The nozzle can be adjusted for perfect water displacement. It puts out 1-gallon per minute.

Dax

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

That is one good thread!!! Dax, I know the big picture is coming into focus now!.....kudos!
    Al

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

itxtNodeId="1012">Al

This post was edited by alley_cat on Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 13:17

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Dax, thanks for the progression pics, it's always good to see how the conifers are developing in a good way at your Arboretum.

With all respect for the Watnong Nursery who discovered the 'Gotelli Weeping', but in my opinion it isn't differend from it's species.
    I think it was given a name to fast.
    Your comparison pics are showing this to us, but also mature specimens doesn't show a weeping habit which is differend from it's species....

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Mike, you're right about the potting mix.
    You never got to underestimated it, because the quality and growing circumstances of the plant are depending on it.
    You've to find a balance for a good drainage, but it also has to keep some water for a longer time...

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

Very cool progression photos. Things have really taken off over the last few years.

Last month I planted a set of 5 1-gal. P. omorika 'Pendula's. You have inspired me to go out and get some pictures to begin tracking their growth now. :0)

Alex

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Looks like you hit the jack pot on this thread.

I always love the omorika species and the great cultivars that come from them.

The Picea omorika 'Gotelli Weeping' is a stand out. Mine seems slower growing then yours. Probably because it doesn't see full sun for 8 hours.

We have been friends from way back when you lived in the other house with the postage stamp lot. Its been a good ride for both of us.

Always enjoy your posts and continually follow your development of your arboretum. Time to put up that sign and a photo of it.

Dave

• gardener365
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Edwin, you may be correct. I like the plant, regardless, as I know anyone would. It does have recurva foliage that exposes more silver than any of my seedlings, so really it is attractive to a cultivar garden.

Hi AL', hey bud thanks for chiming.

Alex, indeed, indeed, indeed. Glad you liked them because omorika are rockin' cool. My Nordmann's are growing 1/2 the rate so in a few years more, or three, I'll be ready for a thread like this one........ Nordmanns are awesome firs.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Dax, I was talking about it's shape, which isn't weeping as it's name would suggest.
    The needle colour is nice, but I've seen several look alikes at Dutch Christmas trees plantations which are growing them by the thousands...

• gardener365
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I understood you the first time, Edwin. I simply made my own case as to why it's more colorful than what seedlings I have growing here. And, it lives in a small area of my gardens that is ratio 90% cultivars so it. As further I think, Watnong and Gotelli back so many years ago probably wanted to select something with color while wrong or right...so they do what they did. The options back days were very slim..., but I understand what you say easily.

Dave, I just now see your post. Ok, I will work on my sign. We've been great friends and I really appreciate that. While you diligently garden on a smaller plot, I have an immense area to call a "garden." And yes, my 'Gotelli Weeping' sees 12 hours of sun easily...

Kindest regards,

Dax

• bobfincham
    10 years ago

Dax,

Here is what you have to look forward to for your garden. This is the original tree in the Gotelli Collection at the National Arboretum where it was named. It is a nice tree and has American historical significance. Especially since the original died a few years ago.

Don't forget to pick up your beeches at Denny's. Plant them in a equilateral triangle pattern so you can swing your hammock in different directions.

Nice pics of your omorikas.

Bob

• gardener365
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's a gem. It weeps enough for me :-)

I'm glad you mentioned the equilateral part. I've never hung a hammock and went googling last week trying to understand everything about them and I still admit I am a bit foggy on the matter. You know what cultivar I'm to pick up... do you have a recommendation for spacing, for me? I could use a little help.

Thank you sir,

Dax

• bobfincham
    10 years ago

I'm not a hammock expert but I would guess a 15' spacing on the trees would work. When they trunk up there will be 13'-14' between them and that is the distance for a hammock with spreader bars.

They are Fagus 'Red Obelisk'. When you are older and your back is giving out they should be just about the right size to hang your hammock.

Bob

• gardener365
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You're king. Have a wonderful weekend.

Dax

• barbaraincalif
    10 years ago

The omorika are doing beautifully on your property Dax! I don't know about you, but it's such a good feeling when you start dialing in on what really grows well within the conditions of ones individual property It all takes time, observation, and a willingness to accept and remove what doesn't work (I'm still coming to terms with that one).

Keep the photos coming,
    Barbara

• gardener365
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Barbara. I've learned that Picea engelmannii on its own roots will not grow here. When grafted, it grows with ease, on another rootstock. I've learned about heavy clay soils on one area of my property...stuff I'd call muck. There have been replacements on that (hillside) that I'm finding work. Thuja's do great; Nordmann fir does good. I'm sure there are other things I'm leaving out, but I haven't had to deal very much with issues. Of course a lot of information is floating around about conifers that grow here, while not information is around for you.

I'll try to keep the photos coming. I have a few conifers I recently transplanted to their new home. I'll add those to this thread.

Dax

• gardener365
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I moved these two a few days ago to their permanent home.

Picea glauca 'Terry's Variegated'

Picea orientalis 'Gowdy Gold'

Today I literally scared myself because I couldn't breath after dragging this on a tarp and then hauling back soil to where it came from... all on a tarp.

Thuja occidentalis 'Watnong Gold'

It was around the left side of my home and past a three car garage:

My replacement. The oak that does stop growing at 4-5 meters and takes forty years to get there.
    Quercus dentata 'Pinnatifida'

Quercus dentata 'Pinnatifida'

And a few more:

A blue/powder blue chance seedling of Picea omorika

Picea pungens 'Spring Ghost' in my temp bed - about a 4 year old graft now. It sees light about 3 hours in the afternoon.

One of my seed-grown from 2007 of seeds collected at Bickelhaupt Arboretum from their Thuja occidentalis 'Hetz Wintergreen'. Thuja occidentalis #116 Dax's Seedlings

Dax

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Dax, that powder blue chance Picea omorika seedling has a very nice colour!
    Is this your find?

• gardener365
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, my friend Don from Treehaven Nursery where I buy so many seedlings finds these gems and saves them for me when he sends my order. So technically it's a seedling that I have because of Don. Its color is very, very, very blue. You know how a camera cannot see it so perfectly as the human eye does. It's not green at all, but 100% blue.

Dax

• dietzjm
    10 years ago

Nice pictures, Dax. It's interesting to see the natural variation in your omorika seedlings. That blue omorika is extremely nice. It looks almost like a glauca.

• gardener365
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Matt.

I think the phone is going to begin ringing off the hook for that omorika.

Cheers mate,

Dax

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

What's your phone number, Dax? LOL
    That is nice indeed.

tj

• gardener365
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ahhhhhhhh, yes.

Dax

• jedijoe1
    10 years ago

Stunning. Your progression pictures are amazing. I cannot get over the tremendous growth. You obviously have figured out what to do for maximum return.

• gardener365
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Joe, thanks:

It's all about fixing all roots prior to planting so no "J" roots are present and as well directing the roots as evenly as possible so not one is overlapping or touching another. The other half is to water, and water often. Mulch at planting time, enough for a few years, is also something I do. After established & when the mulch runs thin or is absent, I don't re-mulch because I have too many trees and shrubs and it's not economical, for myself. If I could afford to, I would.

Thanks again,

Dax

• gardener365
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, 2014, June 17th: One of the seedlings is 8' tall now. I can't reach the leader to measure the new growth. All are growing at 16" (slowest) and 20" the faster:

Picea omorika growth rate 2014 IL, USA Year 6 from 18" Seedling pl. 2008

Picea abies 'Elegantissima' growth rate 22" 2014, IL, USA

Dax

• maple_grove_gw
    9 years ago

Thanks for this update, Dax, your family of Serbians is quite impressive. It's great to see what they can do when fully established. This thread is extremely valuable for your progression photos. It's also just nice to read through this thread again since there's so much interesting content.

Last spring, thie thread inspired me to plant 5 young P. omorika 'Pendula's. They were about 3 feet tall last winter when one of them had the leader eaten off (and spit back out) by a deer. The other four are doing well. I replaced the damaged plant with a P. omorika 'Bruns' of about the same size and now all are doing well. I need to remember to photograph them each year to capture their growth.

Thanks for taking the time.

Alex

• severnside
    9 years ago

Good work Dax.

• gardener365
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My pleasure guys.

I think omorika is one of the coolest of conifers. Seedlings, or cultivars... they draw me and likely most of us to them.

What always gets me is every book or online publication that they are slow-growers. Maybe it's just my climate, but they are anything but slow.

Dax

• severnside
    9 years ago

Yours also look more wide for their height compared to many pictured.

• blue_yew
    9 years ago

Interesting spruces Dax keep up the good work.

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Dax, how about an updated pic on that blue chance seedling? Could it potentially be a hybrid?

Serbian spruce is now my favorite spruce since orientalis is out.

• gardener365
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've always thought the same, severn. My 'Gotelli Weeping' however is as wide as photo 2. Up above Bob Fincham posted a larger Gotelli Weeping and it's not wide as it ages. I really don't know what's going to happen.

Thank you Euan.

Working on that Will. Rain stopped me from getting a pic earlier today. The deal is that Resin said it looks like pungens as you are likely to recall. The form though is every bit of omorika. I'll write a note for tomorrow.

Dax

• gardener365
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's a pungens...... looking at the shoot underside sealed the deal for me; additionally, needles are too thick, buds are darker color, etc:

lead shoot:

side branch w/bud:

new growth underside (white color, needle undersides not silver at all; so pungens-looking I didn't feel I even had to compare to other pungens in my landscape.)

Dax

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Oh well, the rest are looking pretty good.

I should have just gotten 1 gallon plants and bare-rooted them exclusively. Most of the 3 gallon plants are just a joke and they end up dieing...doesn't matter where I get them...exception Western Evergreen.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022