Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtslinger2

Planting Pinus ponderosa out west with pine beetles not far away?

dirtslinger2
14 years ago

My dream for years has been to have ponderosas planted around my house, a big grove of them!

However the pine beetle has adapted and now killing them along with the original lodgepole pines, and not far from here...

Any idea how long ponderosas live until susceptable? I gather it was a simply a time in their life that they could be killed?

Could they be protected, with something other than a systemic insecticide?

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• jean001
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The beetles attack stressed trees. Healthy trees will protect themselves.

• dirtslinger2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Stress makes full sense but I've seen entire mountain ranges (by air) that are completely wiped out.
    I thought it had to do more with the fact it just hasn't gotten to -40 c or f in quite awhile, which kills the grubs?

• pineresin
    14 years ago

I'd wait until the epidemic blows over - with huge populations of beetles hatched out and hungry, they can overwhelm the defences of vigorous young trees as well as old ones. That's why you see the complete wipe-out. But after a year or so, all the beetles will have died, and it'll be safe to replant.

Resin

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

my vote ...

if they make your toes tingle ..

BUY ONE AND PLANT IT.. AND ENJOY THE HECK OUT OF IT ....

AND IF IT DIES.. SO BE IT ...

i would rather enjoy something short term .. rather than defer and never get one ... based on some low percentage that the bug will find your babe and destroy it ...

i may not pay a couple hundred dollars for a named cultivar ... but the plain old green ones.. in small size[and they grow pretty fast] ... shouldnt cost you more than a cheap dinner ... i mean really ... why not???

on the other hand.. i might not get carried away with a grove .... though here in MI they sell them at the soil conservation sale at 25 for $16 .... really .. at that price.. build grove ...

if the 7th plague of the bible rolls through... at least you had fun

good luck

ken

• Sherwood Botsford (z3, Alberta)
    14 years ago

Here's the article I have on my web page regarding pine beetle.

Mountain Pine Beetle

A number of customers have asked if they should avoid planting pines because of the pine beetle.

This is not a new problem. MPB has flared up and died back repeatedly. It's currently on the rise in part because of warm winters, in part because of fewer forest fires, in part because of certain logging practices.

Almost all trees have some pest that attacks them. Many pests come and go in cycles. For pines, it can be MPB. For birch it can be leaf miner. For spruce it may be spruce bud worm.Currently, because of a series of warmer than average winters, the pine beetle population has grown.

A pine in good health is largely unharmed by the beetle. It will bore into the tree. The tree responds with a flood of pitch, and smothers the beetle.

A pine in poor health can't produce enough pitch.
    But ...

(There's always a but.)

In a stand of older pine, near the end of their life and we have a couple of warm winters, the beetle population explodes This huge overpopulation of beetle can swamp nearby healthy pines just because so many attack the tree that it runs out of sap.
    Add one more victim.

The beetle is subject to a bunch of predators, mostly small wasps, and a few diseases. These are effective at the normal population levels. They fall behind when the population explodes. By the time they catch up, it's too late for the pines.

More information: Colorado State Extension Service Mountain Pine Beetle

Parks Canada: What is Mountain Pine Beetle?

Recommendations

If you are near an extensive area of pine forest that is fairly mature (most trees are more than 8" thick, more than 40 feet high, then you may want to hold off a bit on pines. Or you may want to plant pines now, hope that the beetles ignore them because they are so small, and when the epidemic dies out you can be the only person on the block with pines.

Bristlecone pine is somewhat less susceptible. Be prepared to wait. They are very slow growing trees.

Keep your pines healthy. Mostly this means reducing stress on them. Light, fertilizer, water, room. Take out the overcrowded ones.

Watch your pines for signs of infection. See article links above.

In general the beetles prefer older trees. Young trees (under 4-6" diameter are not attacked unless there are very large numbers of beetles.

While strong winds have carried beetles hundreds of kilometers, most beetles attack a nearby tree. If you have no major pine stands within 10-20 kilometers or so, the chances of a young pine getting an overwhelming exposure to beetle is small.

Focus on diversity. It's far more important in ecology than it is in economics. Pests have a much harder time spreading if their host is 20% of the landscape instead of 100% of the landscape. Use multiple species, at multiple ages.

Avoid mass plantings. It's easy for an infected tree to infect it's neighbor. Avoid formal arrangements -- a row of identical trees. If you have to remove an infected tree, there's a big hole in the landscape.

Sherwood Botsford
    Sherwood's Forests Tree Farm
    "Trees for Rural Living"
    http://sherwoods-forests.com
    sfinfo@sherwoods-forests.com
    50042 Range Road 31, Warburg, AB
    (780) 848 2548