Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tropical conifer collection in Miami

Posted by eric_9b z9b Orlando (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 08 at 13:48

Last Thurs. I visited the Montgomery Botanic Center in Miami. This is the former estate of Col. Montgomery who was the founder of Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden. It is located just down the street from FTBG. They are a private research facility with one of the worlds premier palm and cycad collections. There are some older conifers there but they have started a collection of tropical and subtropical species. Lots of young plants in the ground and a whole lot more growing in the shadehouse. It will be a spectacular collection in the future. They are working with the Atlanta BG and Kew Gardens. Click on the link for some photos of some of the plants I saw, there are 2 pages.

Eric
Orlando,FL z9b/10a

Here is a link that might be useful: tropical conifer photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tropical conifer collection in Miami

Wonderful !
Thanks for sharing your photos !

PS. that Neocallitropsis pancheri doesn't *look* like the real thing -- is that juvenile foliage ? (Thnx)

o

The N. pancheri is definitely correct. It is juvenile foliage. The plant is still small. There is a larger one at ABG.

o

Those Gymnostoma species are not conifers. They're flowering plants in the order Fagales(related to Beech(Fagus), Oak(Quercus), Chestnuts(Castanea), etc.). Some of their close relatives(Casuarina cunninghamiana and C. equisetifolia) are invasive weeds all across the tropics(including parts of Florida). I hope they're being watched carefully down there!

o

I just hadn't moved those Gymnostoma species out of the conifer album. They are in Casuarinaceae and was told that a close watch was being kept on them. They just have a coniferous look to them like the Casuarina ("Australian Pines") that are naturalized here.

Eric
Orlando,FL z9b/10a

o

"They are in Casuarinaceae... Correct and the Casuarinaceae is in the order Fagales, which includes the Fagaceae(Oaks, Beech, Chestnuts, etc.). The common name for the Casuarinaceae is the She-Oak family. They are very convincing as conifer look-a-likes. They even produce what superficially looks like Pine cones from a distance.

I forgot to mention, very cool photos. Thanks for sharing them!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here