Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thapranksta

Mixed Conifer Border

Tha Pranksta
10 years ago

I've been considering some things in an attempt to achieve some privacy in my yard. I was thinking more of a quick solution before and wanted to get a bunch of green giants to fill up the space. ken_adrian and some others gave me a little insight and I took their advice to heart as it made a lot of sense. So now I'm being a little more strategic in how I do things.

I'm going to start with a small little section (about 20' long) in my yard where I want to have a curved border to give privacy from my immediate neighbor. In this section, I plan to have a mixed border of Sparta Junipers and Hetz Wintergreen Arborvitae - both of which are columnar in growth habit. They have varying widths being reported at maturity but I've come to assume Wintergreen will grow a max of about 6 feet wide and Spartan will grow a max of about 4.5 feet wide. So for a quick border (3-4 years) I will assume about a 4 foot spacing for the Wintergreen and a 3-3.5 foot spacing with the Spartan.

My questions are: Will these trees play nice together and what type of arrangements would make a somewhat tasteful mixed border? Do I group all the Wintergreens beside each other or somewhat alternating with the Spartans? Do I make the arrangement look completely random? Does anyone have any pictures of their mixed border arrangements with conifers?

Thanks.

Comments (16)

• Hiccups4
    10 years ago

I have the same question! I did find these visuals from a quick search on google...

Here is a link that might be useful: mixed conifer border

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Ha! That's me with Talon Buchholz in the fourth photo, and quite a few photos from my blog on that page as well!

Sara

• gardener365
    10 years ago

That's a good mix Prank. They'll have the same cultural requirements after establishment, and 'Spartan' being a J.chinensis, will do well in your climate. I would suggest a mixed border. 1 spartan than 2 hetz wintergreen and so on until you have 1 spartan on each end. Do your spacing as you're thinking.

Here is my Hetz Wintergreen driveway border with (4) Juniperus virginiana 'Taylor' mixed in. A friend gave the Junipers to me and they were already in the 3-4 foot range and probably a 3-gallon set of roots at the same time of planting... the same time as when I planted the 'Hetz Wintergreen' (bareroot) at 6-9", yes inches. The Hetz Wintergreen are catching up fast. Some are 6' tall now. I planted my driveway all at once in 2008, except I planted the Junipers first without measuring! Mine are spaced for 35' height at 25 years from planting time which will be 6-8' wide at their bases. (click photo + magnifier 2x for full resolution)
    {{gwi:751027}}

A few I replaced that the roots didn't please me. I could tell they were sluggish. Sure enough when I dug them up the roots were crap.

Dax

• drdna
    10 years ago

Dax, I was wondering how your Juniperus virginiana Taylor handle snow loads because that's a cultivar i'm very interested in to replace some Thuja occ. fastigiata that always tend to peel open like a banana whenever I get some wet and/or heavy snow.

Dan

• gardener365
    10 years ago

It's a good plant, Dan, for all seasons. I've had them bend but not split. They'll bounce right back up.

Dax

• Tha Pranksta
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies and confirmation. I'm happy to know that these trees should work well.

Dax, is it the angle of the picture or are your Junipers leaning?

• Chpielme
    10 years ago

Hello to all of you aficionados,

I am dying to find mixed border plans. If I rely on my own limited knowledge and occasional research, it will be ten years before I settle on selections. I have a one acre lot in 5b and can dreamily imagine conifers of all shapes, sizes, colors and textures happily co-habitating with other ornamentals. Where do I begin? Regrettably, I am not in zone 6.

Chpielme (Jane)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

for someone who calls themselves a prankster.. you have little sense of humor

good luck on your ten year plan ....

ken

joy: you are a card ... its probably a language thing ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: link

This post was edited by ken_adrian on Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 14:16

• Chpielme
    10 years ago

All I meant was that it takes time to acquire expertise. I may be new to this and it is a hobby. I do not expect to be treated rudely or with condescension on this blog. I will not "waste your time." Thanks very much for your questionable input and have a good day.

• Chpielme
    10 years ago

All I meant was that it takes time to acquire expertise. I may be new to this and it is a hobby. I do not expect to be treated rudely or with condescension on this blog. I will not "waste your time." Thanks very much for your questionable input and have a good day.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Yeah Ken, how many times I've to tell you that you've to tell your stories in a more sensitive way, specialy to new forum members.
    They don't know your way of talking and humour (yet)... ;0)

• Tha Pranksta
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ken_adrian,

Did I miss something? Perhaps you were talking to Chpielme.

:-)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

And I think that Chpielme misinterpreted Ken's note to Pranksta! Jane - Ken's comments were not directed to you.

Sara

• Tha Pranksta
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken's original message mentioned "z5" and "10 years". I posted nothing like that. It also mentioned "starting your own post" and I am the OP. He has since changed his post. lol.

• mickykime
    8 years ago

so I have a 30 ft area, only 3 ft wide- thinking of nine barks, arborvitae, and barberry- doing a stagger does anyone think that is crazy?