Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisismelissa

Junipers: Medora vs Wichita Blue

thisismelissa
11 years ago

I've got a smallish area that I need a vertical element in.

And blue is my choice

The footprint is about 4-5' wide.

So I was looking at Wichita Blue or Medora Juniper.

Can anyone comment about them? Which has better color, form, etc.

This will be next to my walkway, so it could end up with some snow from the snowblower/shovel piled against it.

Comments (11)

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

'Medora' is more narrow so better to plant next to a walkway.
    If possible wipe the snow of to avoid breaking or splaying branches.
    Like other narrow conifers it's very important to plant one with a single leader!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

call your county extension office.. and ask them about juniper tip blight in your area ...

i have gotten rid of almost all my Juniperus scopulorum .. included 3 WBlus ...

and it usually hits.. right when it hits a perfect look and size ...

seriously mel.. you can do sooo much better.. you will mail order a prime hosta.. so do the same for a prime conifer .. these are a dime a dozen at bigboxstore.. arent they???

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• ginkgonut
    11 years ago

In an area that will get snow shoveled and blown on it, maybe it is better to look for a plant that is "weeping' with it's branches naturally pointing at a more downward angle. Those junipers and many "upright' plants will have upswept branches.

If you live without blue it would make it easier.

Don't know if you have a height restriction.

11 years ago

conifers are trees.. technically.. they never stop growing.. in your lifetime..

intro to conifers at link ...

look at the annual growth rate info ... a mini .. will take decades to get 4 or 5 feet tall .. and wide ...

a dwarf.. less time.. and you really probably.. will not want nothing that grows faster than a dwarf annual growth rate ...

ALL SIZE ESTIMATES are at ten years .. simply multiply by 2.. for the size at 20 years ...

or for the annual growth rate ESTIMATE.. of the person who made the tag!!! .. convert to inches.. and divide by ten ...

its starts with how big it is when you get it.. a year or two to get established.. and then how fast it will grow thereafter ...

so.. i think now.. this post is dead.. peeps who dont care about juniper ... will not check back in ..

i suggest a new post.. with more than your width info.. including a pic of the entire area ... color suggestions ... form ... etc.. ask these peeps to make suggestions from every spectrum.. and ask that what they recommend is actually for sale somewhere .. lol ..

below is a pic of how to insert about 20 mini conifers in a very small bed.. do you need another collection.. lol ...

ken
    {{gwi:211253}}
    {{gwi:211254}}
    {{gwi:211255}}

and forget about that thin tall green one.. its got its own problems ... you can see the discolored part in the second to last pic.. that i had to prune out ... its compressa.. and if i am not mistaken.. but too lazy to check.. wait for it.. a juniper.. lol ..

Here is a link that might be useful: intro

• harv2016
    11 years ago

My humble and limited opinion is neither. Both cultivars look great for a while in my garden but then slowly deterioarate. I'd plant a Picea glauca 'Pendula', same foot print but a much more attractive plant. I have these three framing the entrance to my patio, a very well behaved plant

• HU-742844
    7 years ago

Is the tallest tree in this picture a weeping white spruce?

7 years ago

no... its the picea glauce pendula harv said it was ...ken

• Gibson Zone 9 (Central Valley, CA)
    7 years ago

Wow - those are sure pretty. I think I'll order one now.

7 years ago

wonder how P g grows in z9 CA ... ken

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    7 years ago

They grow great here, but we are way moister than the Central Valley, and nowhere near as hot in summer.