Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Hobbiton conifers of the week, June 4th

Perma-potted tour this week.

Most of these conifers are placed in a mix of sand, bark, gritty mix, gravel and pebbles and thus far, despite remarkably wet Winters(30+ inches this last November-April), have shown very few signs of distress.

I don't fertilize, though I may in the future and I am hopeful I can have some of these beauties in these pots for a decade or more. I do water deeply about twice a month in Summer though this year I may trim that back to once a month. Someday, hopefully with a little root pruning, they can be planted in a garden either here or elsewhere.

The pots are mostly fiberglass/new hard plastic sources and are very strong, durable, immune to frost issues and have held up well - on top of being very light.

On to the photos!

Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Treasure Island' - Gets less then an hour of direct sunlight a day and remains dry, even in Winter. Perhaps the lack of rain/snow will help keep it's form.

Pinus parviflora 'Ara-Kawa' - one of the Japanese white pines that has unusual bark in older age. This five year old specimen now sports some shiny new cones.

Picea omorika 'Aurea' Shows bright green growth before it turns a pale gold with sunlight. This color is prominent briefly and only on the higher edges of the needles so that in older specimens it is largely unnoticed, though still a beautiful specimen in it's own right even without gold hues. Three years in this pot now.

Picea omorika 'Berliner's Weeper' Very narrow and beautiful in older age, my specimens(even those in the ground), which were taken from side-branches, still haven't fully taken to a skyward leader. Someday soon...

Pinus parviflora 'Nana' - Small, blue and plentiful cones.

Picea omorika 'Pendula Bruns' - Growing like a wild animal, this specimen has been in the pot two years and though it is large and fast growing, I intend on keeping it there for a long time, perhaps until it tips over time and time again!

Cedrus libani var. atlantica 'Hillier's HB' About eight years old, grows an inch or two a year and very prostrate. Took a bit of a frost beating it's very first year(to about 5 degrees F/-15 C') but has recovered well.

Pinus nigra 'Black Prince' - Compact and happy, I think pines are good candidates for pots given their tendencies to be very tolerant of drought and nutrient defeciency.

Some Iseli miniature/dwarves.

Abies koreana 'Blauer Eskimo' - Happy in part shade.

Pinus nigra 'Oregon Green' - under the eaves of the house and no sign at all that they want more water then my occasional offerings.

Picea mariana 'Nana' - Much older then you might think.

Pinus parviflora 'Regenhold' - A tiny, awesome pine.

A line of pots marching.

One of the most bold Japanese maples also this week:

Acer palmatum 'Shirazz'(syn. 'Geisha Gone Wild'). Extremely bright and unsual for all the growing season.

Mystery plant:

Picea smithiana... Looks like a cultivar I saw at Bob Fincham's place, but mine was bought as a species seedling from Forest Farm. Four years in the ground and very slow growing still. Possibly just not thrilled with our drier Summers.

-Will

Comments (15)

• ghgwv
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Enjoyed the pictures.
    Gary

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Nice, there is always something interesting in the picture along with the featured plant.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    11 years ago

Will, Enjoyed the post! Liked looking at the variety.

• botann
    11 years ago

The Japanese Maple called 'Shirazz' caught my attention!
    Looks like I'm going to be on the hunt for that one.
    Mike

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

You guys sure are lucky with the JMs you can plant. That particular cultivar looks amazing but looks like pooter around here.

• zsolti_hungary
    11 years ago

Big like, as usual.

• harv2016
    11 years ago

The japenese maple just fills me with envy, just one zone away. The potted plants look, great do you have to repot and root prune frequently?

• sluice
    11 years ago

Like the cones on Pinus parviflora 'Ara-Kawa'

• severnside
    11 years ago

Hey it's June 13th already! Waiting for the new HG CoW

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Looks like double dose come June 18th.

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Will, in my gardens, if you move too fast, you cannot see which is featured! :)

""The japenese maple just fills me with envy, just one zone away. The potted plants look, great do you have to repot and root prune frequently? ""

Harv, most of my potted conifers have been in their spots for 3-4 years now. No root pruning, no repotting(yet), no amendments and no problems. Outside all year, moderate/heavy waterings in our dry Summers. Smooth sailing so far!

I have some more photos for another edition, I'm glad to see folks appreciate my efforts. If I am enabling, then I am doing well. :)

-Will

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

Your 'Treasure Island' looks fantastic, Will!

I had one that died of root rot because I kept it in a pot out in the rain that had less-than-mediocre draining capabilities.

-Sam

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Will is waiting for my comments first before he starts a new post :0)

Pinus parviflora 'Ara-Kawa'
    Must be written as 'Ara-kawa'.

I don't believe that the Pinus nigra 'Oregon Green' is the true one, the needles are to long and it doesn't have the typical needle setting for this cultivar. (see link)
    To me the one in the pot looks like the normal species or a simular fast growing cultivar, probably the understock...

Will, I also have my doubs about your Pinus parviflora 'Ara-kawa'.
    This is because the true one does have green needles instead of blue one's.
    Can you show us a detail pic of the part just above the grafting union, the bark at that place should be courser at that place allready.
    Thanks in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:751388}}

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Edwin! Thank you, as always, for looking over each plant and their spelling. I will correct 'Ara-kawa', which I have repeatedly mispelled now.

'Oregon Green' is one I will watch closely and I agree at this point, particularly since the needles are not formed completely, do not look like the normal cultivar.

I will say that 'Ara-kawa' DOES have rough/corkish bark already and that it appears different then the understock. Perhaps the lighting wasn't ideal when I took the photo, though to the naked eye it is more blue then green on this plant.

-Will

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

"Picea omorika 'Pendula Bruns' - Growing like a wild animal, this specimen has been in the pot two years and though it is large and fast growing, I intend on keeping it there for a long time, perhaps until it tips over time and time again"

A beautiful specimen that's trying to tell you something.

I would plant that sucker in a choice highly visible spot.

Dave

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x