Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joebachman_gw

Looking for the name of this conifer

JoeBachman
10 years ago

The wife and I were driving around last Sunday and saw this beautiful specimen. Does anyone know the name of this plant? We are really curious if this is something we could add to our yard. Thanks to anyone who can help us.

Comments (10)

• ogcon
    10 years ago

pretty good chance its one of a dozen or so cultivars of
    Juniperus x pfitzeriana.You might try 'Golden Joy' or
    'Sheridan Gold'.But please don't plant it so close to the the
    edge of your lawn .The one above is already crowded and
    will look even worse the next 2 years.Doug

• liopleurodon
    10 years ago

I think it is Microbiota decussata, but odds are I'm wrong. (It's more of a guess from me actually.)
    EDIT:
    Never mind, ogcon has it right probably. ;)
    (His reply wasn't there yet at the moment I was writing my post.)

This post was edited by liopleurodon on Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 14:47

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Liop, that's not a Microbiota.
    A Microbiota is green, please see my website how it looks like.

Doug is right, it's one of the many yellow cultivars of Juniperus x pfitzeriana.
    'Old Gold' is the one that came to my mind first...

• JoeBachman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. We have 1/3 acre in town, so we have plenty of space to plant one of these where it will have room to grow properly. Thanks again.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

in his other post.. which he could have linked too ..

i suggested daubs frosted ...

is that ruled out??

BTW joe.. there are about 50 variations on this theme.. and frankly.. only about 4 people can tell them apart ... so dont go trying to find.. just the ones named ... you might never find them in the trade ...

i mail ordered about half of my 500 conifers.. get something truly special.. dont hope to find something at bigboxstore ...

there is a list of favored vendors.. e.g google : conifer kingdom ... to peruse a variety of offerings ...

and when it come time to plant.. check back with us.. and we can help you with that ...

finally .. at the link.. is an intro to conifers... check out the part on size.. and learn about annual growth rates.. that is how you pick a plant.. to fit a space.. for a long time...

you can find a tree like this one.. that grows a foot per year.. in ten years.. it will be 10 feet wide.. in 20 years.. 20 feet.. they never really stop growing...

but a look alike.. that grow 3 inches per year.. will be that much smaller in 10.. 20.. or 30 years ... presuming you can do the math.. or divide by 4 ...

this is called enabling.. please peruse the 60 odd pages of posts... lol

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• liopleurodon
    10 years ago

Edwin, Microbiota decussata indeed looks darker.
    Thanks for pointing that out. ;)

It's a pretty one though. The yellow-green top almost looks like some tropical sun is shining on it.

• JoeBachman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Ken. Looks like I have some research to do before deciding.

We just bought the house, and we both have big dreams of transforming the boring property into something nicer to look at.

This is the first house I've had where I cared what the landscaping looked like, so I have a huge amount of learning ahead of me.

We already have the best looking house on the block, but seeings there are only two homes on the whole block, that's not saying much. :)

I appreciate everyone's help and advice tremendously, and I'm so glad I found this web site.

Thanks again everyone.

• ogcon
    10 years ago

Keep it coming Joe!I'm a relative newcomer to the forum but
    it doesn't take long to figure out whos got the good advice
    (many folks,especially Ken)and they will certainly get you well on your way to conifer bliss and a landscape that will
    attract favorable attention.Doug

• pineresin
    10 years ago

Worth adding - if you're wanting to plant something new - Microbiota is much more interesting than Juniperus ÃÂ pfitzeriana. Also much rarer and harder to find, but worth the search.

Resin

• JoeBachman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks ogcon & pineresin.

Seeings how wide these plants get, I'm thinking that with our flat yard, one of these may be better off in a yard island bed on the west side of our property.

I'll have to discuss this with the wife when we draw out a master plan for the landscape.