Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unprofessional

Trip to Gee's Farm

unprofessional
10 years ago

Had a blast. Walked around for about three hours this morning. Have names on most of these, if anybody wants specific ones. Need to get out to the Harper Collection and Ken's place before the end of the week.

P. abies broom I found on the way:

'Karl Fuchs' vs 'Eisregen'
{{gwi:647968}}

Everything's better with nudity.

Comments (12)

• scpalmnut
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Looks wonderful. I really wanted to make it up there this spring but never made it. Going up there now would just be a tease.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

Thanks. It's always interesting to see what mail order nurseries look like.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

whats that one in the 33rd pic.. on the right ... lol

did you play mystery shopper.. or did you track down gary.. and talk with him ...???

ken

• firefightergardener
    10 years ago

Big inventory of plants I've wanted for a while. Too bad they won't ship to the West coast. Maybe Mr. Gee trades? :)

• unprofessional
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Was a mystery shopper. Didn't see anybody around aside from the ladies up front and some very busy young guys driving around picking up plants.

I was amazed at how big some of the stuff was, including a ton of cedars that aren't supposed to be hardy here.

• Cher
    10 years ago

Great photos. Some really large sizes for those looking, and you have the back to plant them.

FFWill, bet you have conifers he doesn't and it's always worth a shot to call and see if he would be interested in a trade.
    Cher

• ademink
    10 years ago

unreal - the birches, the Cham. Nookta's...eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Was that a whole row of Van Den Akkers???

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

did you find the hoop houses with the one gallon stock ??? .. they would have been across the street to the north of the barn ....

off to the iris lady today.. sand creek and 50 ... really stunning garden ... more of a production field garden ...

ken

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Still want to go there.

Dax

• ogcon
    10 years ago

Gary,Kay and family were the best hosts last summer for
    ACS visit and huge under-tent lunch.
    Have had a few road trips w/Mr.G,always the great and fun guy to be around and as knowledgeble as the best of them.
    Super nursery!D.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Jon, it's to bad that you didn't meet one person of the Gee family, they're realy nice persons!

They have a great nursery and a huge assortment of conifers.
    Also their big Arboretum is very nice to visit!

The nudi lady was there as well last winter.
    It looks to me that she's looking more happy now.
    I guess I would also look happier in this time of year with the same scarce cloting on ;0)

My friend Gary is on his way to The Netherlands, I'll see him again tomorrow.
    Indeed, he's a fun guy to travel with, he's joking all the time :0)

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

Nice! Thanks for the tour. I have to admit, I'm a bit envious since there are no nurseries anywhere in my neck of the woods with this sort of material (which is why I must resort to mail order as my exlusive source for plant aquisition...at least, until I want a 'mugo pine' seed grown and sheared, 'Hoopsi' blue spruce, or 'gold threadleaf cypress').

What plants did you bring home with you? Any pictures of those? Would be interested to see what caught your fancy.

Alex

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz