Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancy0903

Norway Spruce Struggling

nancy0903
9 years ago

I had three Norway Spruce (10 to 12 ft tall) planted in the fall. All are in optimal conditions. This spring two of the three have a lot of new growth. The third has NO new growth and it's June 17th. i don't know if there's a problem. should i remove and look at rootball, replant etc or just sit tight and see what happens.
Thanks nancy

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

if it hasnt budded out by now.. i would say it is dead ..

and that its growing conditions were NOT optimal ...

that is all i can surmise w/o a pic..

talk with your seller ...

ken

ps: i dont know how you look at a 12 foot tall trees root mass ... and then replant it ...

• thetman
    9 years ago

don't give up yet. is the tree browning at all? I had two nor ways I was worried about this spring. they seemed to lose some their green and were dropping a few needles with no buds at all- while all the others were already budding or were in full bud mode. not until last week did I see signs of buds and now I am certain they will be fine. many have budded a month ago already! Like Ken says- a pic would help a lot. we had a colder than normal winter here like a lot of folks so I think it was a bit much for some trees that weren't fully adapted yet.

• nancy0903
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't know how to attach photos. I will hope that the last Spruce buds out this week - Thanks,
    nancy

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Yes, you're right in thinking that by now, all spruce should be into new growth phase. But.........Norway spruce are among the most resilient things I've ever seen. It would not be totally shocking if it still had a surprise or two up its sleeve. But at this point, it's up to your own tolerance for waiting and wondering. And afterall, it is nearly July, so you may simply have to face the fact that one of your transplants died-a not unusual occurence, Norway spruce or other species.

+oM

• thetman
    9 years ago

the two nor ways I mentioned have budded but not full yet - I know its crazy that its almost july. when all others have fully budded out a while ago. don't understand it- but just happy they are still among the living. don't give up hope- unless you see massive needle droppings and discoloration in the tree. Actually last year I had a norway lose many needles from mites. this year it looks fine. tough trees.

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

On this general subject, most of the Picea pungens, P. abies, and whatever else is scattered about, look better than they have in years around here. This following an extremely cold winter. I have no idea whether or not the two circumstances are related. But take P. pungens for example: In the last few years, between foliar blights, cytospora canker, and whatever other maladies seemed to be afflicting this tree, it really looked terrible more often than not. This year, there appears to be a rather amazing degree of recovery taking place. Norway spruce, just generally being a more fit species for most of the E. half of the US, never looked as bad, but certain individuals certainly were ragged. Now this year, even these seem to be improved.

We've had copious rainfall and of course, that has helped immensely. But last year was very wet also, and the improvement was not yet so obvious as it is now.

Sorry OP, I guess I like talking about spruce!

+oM