Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conrad13743

We had a great time.

outback63 Dennison
10 years ago

My friend, Bob Fincham and his traveling companion, Dean stopped by my garden Friday, June 7.

My wife and I had a great visit. We spent about three hours -- you guessed it -- talking about conifers, all the places he has been and the many interesting conifer people he has met.

I did purchase his new book "Small Conifers for Small Gardens". I highly recommend this book. For each cultivar featured there is a story.

I also have a new addition, Picea abies "Gold Finch'. A prostrate grower. Compliments of Bob.

Dave

This post was edited by Davesconifers on Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 14:54

Comments (9)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Nice!

We're going to be visiting Bob for our Western Region ACS meeting this September 13-15 (members and non-members from all regions welcome to attend!) along with several private collections. Really looking forward to another trip to Coenosium.

Sara

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Cool, I say cool!

Dax

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

It's always very nice as a conifer friend is visiting your place!

The first time I met Bob was back in 2004, during the U.S. conifer tour organized by the Dutch Conifer Society.
    Also in 2012 Henk and I visited Bob again.

He and Larry Stanley visited my nursery in 2009 (I think it was).
    In those years he was like a kind of mentor to me and I learned a lot from him.
    Nowadays I'm learning and observing things my own way.
    Somethimes Bob and I don't agree about certain things, but that can happen.
    This is a discussion forum, so things may be discussed here, somethimes it could take a long time and we still don't agree at the end :0)
    This doesn't say about us conifer loving people, because I still see Bob as a good friend.
    For that reason alone I helped him with his book for free.

Good luck with your 'Gold Finch (#14)', which is not a complete prostrate grower...

• zephyrgal
    10 years ago

How does one order the book? I would be honored to have a copy. Thanks.

• Cher
    10 years ago

What a wonderful way to spend a day. Great company and a beautiful garden to look at. Your new conifer looks fantastic.
    Cher

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

zephyrgal

You an order the book at the link I provided.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

• zephyrgal
    10 years ago

Thank you Dave. I'm sure other's around here will find your link useful. I will order mine today.

• firefightergardener
    10 years ago

Cool beans. Amazing to have great guys in the hobby grace your gardens as Henk and Edwin did last Winter at my place.

• bobfincham
    10 years ago

I'm in Mitchell, SD tonight. We are returning to Eatonville and should be back there by Wednesday after visiting a number of friends in the midwest. Dave's garden was a treat and brought back memories of gardens I used to visit on Long Island where conifers were judiciously displayed on small properties. Dave has created a very nice landscape displaying a wide variety of conifers with little to almost no crowding. Quite a feat.

I am sure some of the pictures I took will find there way into my next book.

By the way, Dax, there are a few beech at Denny's waiting for you that will eventually provide supports for a hammock.

Bob