Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texjagman

Picea orientalis 'Skylands' vs 'Aureospicata'

texjagman
11 years ago

I apologize in advance if this has been asked before and I just didn't see it, but can someone who's seen both in semi-mature to mature size, what really is the difference between these two.

When I look at pictures of the two they look almost the same. Skylands may be a little more yellow appearing. But otherwise when they are in that 10' and larger size they seem to look almost identical to me.

The reason I'm ask though is Aureospicata seems to take our super hot sun and heat a little better than Skylands will even though both require afternoon shade here.

mark.

Comments (8)

• arceesmith
    11 years ago

'Aureospicata' is a spring yellow, its new foliage pushes bright yellow and contrasts beautifully against the older, dark green foliage.

'Skylands' Pushes bright yellow and remains yellow all year. The intensely bright yellow color of the fresh spring foliage does darken somewhat to a golden yellow as the foliage matures.

For example, in January 'Aureospicata' will be green whereas 'Skylands' will be golden yellow.

• texjagman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Will that yellow in Skylands hold even it it is in a more shaded environment?

mark

• arceesmith
    11 years ago

I believe that the yellow tends to be less intense in shaded conditions - can be more of a lime yellow than lemon yellow - depending on how much shade. More sun = more bright yellow. I can't tell you what the fine line between great color and some sun burn might be though. Even here, in full sun they can burn just a little on the tops of the branches, but overall it really isn't noticeable and once established, they no longer seem to sunburn here (or if they do its in the upper branches receiving the most sun and I can't see it).

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

after 12 years.. from a one gallon.. my skylands.. is 3 feet tall .... and a registered PITA ...

and my aureospic is going on 25 feet tall ... with a 12 foot circle footprint.. do you have space for this ...???

the former grows.. at best.. under a foot per year [not mine!!!].. the latter... upwards of 1.5 to 3 feet per year ...

as to size.. you are comparing apples and oranges.. and i dont wnat to hear about 10 year estimates... i am sure.. you know what that nonsense is all about ...

hidden lakes has a 40 foot skylands.. and i will hate them until the day i die.. lol ...

heat might be your issue.. night heat for sure.. whatever dave says towards that ...

ken

• Scott
    11 years ago

I have never heard of the aureaspicta growing that fast. Everything I read and have experienced says maybe 9-12" per year and that is what I am getting. I have two, and they are over 10 years old and not even 6' tall yet. Ken, I think you're dreaming again.
    I like 10 year estimates because it gives me something to go by.
    Ken, take a chill pill.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

aw crap.. never mind.. the 100 degree heat got to me this afternoon..

in my minds eye.. i was thinking of Picea abies 'Argenteospicata'

spicata this.. spicata that.. lol

needless to say.. i am embarrassed...

but the info on the hidden lakes skylands is true ...

ken

• Scott
    11 years ago

I thought maybe you had one on steroids.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

The Picea orientalis 'Aureospicata' grows as fast as the species.

The cultivar 'Aureospicata Compacta' grows much slower...

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida