Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingeborgdot

Does anyone have a color of Pinus mugo Carstens in summer???

Scott
11 years ago

I would really like to see what a Carstens would look like for me from March to October when it is warmer. I can't seem to even find a link. Thanks.

Comments (12)

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

At your service.

6-7 years old.

Dave

{{gwi:751872}}

• Scott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you.

• wannabegardnr
    10 years ago

Hi Dave, if you have it, would you please put up the summer picture again? I was wondering if it's dark green like generic mugos or a lighter green during summer.

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

I don't have a summer time photo.

I'll tell you it is not dark green and the summer color leans toward lighter green.

Dave

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Same here...

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Mine also is medium green over spring to fall, just now is turning slowly to yellow. But then 2 ft of snow would cover it all up.

• severnside
    10 years ago

One I bought this summer fresh from the pot.

Pinus mugo 'Carstens'

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

mine is suffering ... i dont know why ... probably being out-competed by surrounding plants that have wildly outgrown it in 10 years or so ...

i would call it a chlorotic green in summer ... not quite green.. not quite yellow.. meaning.. every time you walk by it.. you think its sickly ...

i had the same thoughts for years.. when i walked by pungens walnut glen ...

but again ... i would NOT call mine a vigorous plant ... maybe it is chlorotic.. lol ...

there are better yellow mugos .... if you can find them ...

ken

ps: one of the reasons i dont think mine is doing well .. is its repeated failure to turn proper yellow/gold in winter ... i think its in too much shade ... do NOT pass it by.. based on my failure .... that is not my point ....

• wannabegardnr
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. From severnside's picture, it looks like a rich, bright grass green.
    If you don't mind sharing, how do you guys place it? Next to a blue, dark green, or you but emphasis on leaf shape?

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

"there are better yellow mugos .... if you can find them"

Maybe so.

Till then I will stick with 'Carsten's. as being one of the best yellow Pinus mugo cultivars.

Dave

• severnside
    10 years ago

I agree with Ken on the 'sickly' look. It can look like a washed out mugo compared to the darker normal green.

Check the gallery I've linked. Zsolt has very helpfully shown some summer/winter comparisons of a few golden pines amongst plenty of fantastic standard greens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Broom Universe 122 - Jiri Balatka Collection

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Ken,

Why don't you move it to an area that receives 8 hours of sun a day.

It should recover in several years. Move it to an area you can see out you back window during the winter months.

How about a photo or is it buried in snow now.

severnside,

Looking the Jiri Balatka Collection... indeed nice. A slim to none chance we will ever have them accessible to state side growers. So far I don't see any of them offered although I do see 'Zundert' which I grow.

Pinus mugo Pjatra Krajluj, Pjatra Krajluj ROM, Schweizer Tourist and the subdued yellow color of Mops Sport HOL and Winter Gold HOL especially nice.

Thanks for the link.

Dave