Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Picea abies 'Winkler's Wang'

Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 21, 11 at 14:42

Where the heck did this name come from?

I planted what I know is 'Wingle's Weeper' but I just found a printed tag that must have been in the pot and blew to the front yard. I started cracking up when I saw it called out 'Winkler's Wang'.

I googled the forum and someone else called it this as well.

I want to make sure we put the Wang to bed here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Picea abies 'Winkler's Wang'

It probably has something to do with M. G. Winkler and P. K. Wang, authors of "The late-quaternary vegetation and climate of China."

o

i just wonder why mr winklers wang was weeping.. whats that all about ... sounds like a significant personal problem.. rather than a conifer ...

ken

o

Based upon the name, I couldn't pass this one up when I saw it a few years back at a friend's nursery. I have mine growing in a tall container.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Stanley & Sons tag.

Dave

o

Could be S&S tag; a lot of tags look alike but hey, I don't really know. I got it while I lived in California from a retail nursery owner who got 2 as a gift for a birthday present. He kindly parted with one and sold it to me.

Photobucket

o

Nice container!

I'd like to see one like that with a Fountain Grass in it.

o

For a minute there, I thought the tag said "prostate" form..

o

I would get that plant out of that dark clay fired container before you fry the roots. If not so inclined give it some shade from the hot afternoon sun.

Better yet...do it a favor and plant it in the ground. This conifer is a hardy grower and likes to free range. It is now a caged elephant waiting to be set free.

S&S tags are unique in their own right. No other tag resembles them. He lists this conifer in his catalog but at the present time not for sale.

Dave

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 22, 11 at 12:24

So 'Winkler's Wang' is incorrect?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here