Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sincraft

Watering Thuja Plicata newly planted?

sincraft
10 years ago

14 - 7' Thuja Plicata 'Excelsa' planted 6' apart today, but not quite sure how to water. The nursery people had conflicting info but basically it sounds like deeply every 7 days or 10 days when there is a 'good' day of rain that occurred during that time.

Im pretty sure I need to do something to help them get growning their roots again too. I have a soaker hose but have heard that this doesnt put enough in at once to get deep.

While Im here - anyone have a good white clover killer? I used roundup concentrated to kill my dandelion farm, now I have clover like crazy. Id say my yard is 75% clover. I'm almost tempted to kill the yard, regrade, top off with some good stuff and replant my yard at this point.
We bought the house with the yard like this.

Comments (7)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

A soaker hose would be my preferred method of watering. Because it is a low emission over an extended period of time, the water DOES penetrate deeply - much more so than sprinklers or even a regular hose. You may have to do a little experimenting to determine the duration, as that will vary widely with soil type, but you want the water to percolate down to at least the depth of the rootball - and deeper is better.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

topic from 3 days ago .. though it did make it down to page 2 ... at link ..

why arent you using WEED killer.. instead of the vegetation killer RU??

look into weed-be-gone... 2-4-D .... or something like that.. and use it according to the label ... IF ITS LABELED FOR clover ...

i use hundreds of gallons of RU all summer long.. i never heard of using it for dandilions in a lawn ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• wisconsitom
    10 years ago

Sin, if you are receiving normal timely rain, you may not need to do any supplemental watering for quite some time. It all depends on what the weather is doing. I routinely plant stuff, water in at planting, and never water again. This is the best possible scenario, and I don't know if you're in sandy ground, heavy clay, or what, but you get the idea; Water in good at planting, then don't water again until soil is dry an inch or two below grade.

Of course, if it is very hot, or windy, these parameters will need to be adjusted. But it really is more art than science.

Incidentally, just for persepective, I recently planted 6000 seedlings of two pine species, Norway spruce, and a hybrid larch. There is simply no way to water something like this-ever-and I have not. Last time I checked, which was a week ago, the vast majority of plants were developing well. Now granted, we've had very favorable conditions-lots of rain and mostly cool temps-but just saying. Of course, in your yard, you will have the capability of watering, unlike that field of mine up north!

+oM

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

If you mulch the new planting it will make a huge difference.

• coniferas_br
    10 years ago

I'm growing 27 thuja plicata from seeds, they are six month older now and they are very resistant both to over (Brazil summer rains) and under (fall mild drougth) watering, a few seedlings were lost to accidents (kittens) in the beginning :\. In your case, I would only water if the soil "asks" for it. These are tough trees.

• sincraft
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for the replies.
    Im half considering moving these plants as they are only 4' from the property line. I planted them 6' apart and right now they are about 1.5 wide and 7' tall. I want them to get wider and taller of course, and then start trimming and shaping them and holding a shape at around 20'.

I paid someone $500 to plant these. I put them 4' to the property line because my wife was worried it woudl take up too much of our kids grassy play area.

>> I

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

1' won't make a difference, these will become big trees unless you shear them every year.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting