Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Four years of Picea mariana 'Ericoides'

Posted by firefightergardener 7/8 (fletchonthemove@hotmail.com) on
Fri, Jun 22, 12 at 14:58

A great little spreading near-miniature plant, this is often confused with Picea abies 'Blue Nest'(which may just be an illegitimate, duplicate name), Picea glauca 'Echiniformis' and others. Bought four years ago, actually I ended up with about ten plants, each for $1.99(yeah, $2 each), from Ebay. Apparently easy to propogate, likely even from cuttings(?), this beauty grows about an inch, maybe an inch and a half a year(3 cm) and has distinct colors during the seasons.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

2012 Whereas these other photos were taken later in the season, Spring shows a lush, beautiful plant.
Photobucket

-Will

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Four years of Picea mariana 'Ericoides'

A beauty!

Interesting story (to me, anyway):

Couple of years ago I picked up a couple of plants at a ShopKo clearance (I know, I know...) labelled Picea abies 'Bird's Nest'. I was confused but overlooked my confusion because I had just gotten what I convinced myself were two Bird's nest spruce for about 3 bucks apiece.

When I planted them the nursery tag said Picea mariana 'Ericoides.' At that time I decided I should try to find out what they REALLY were, to no avail. Left them behind at our former home that is now a rental. Both still alive but with zero new growth and one looking pretty much like death warmed over.

Note to self: you usually get what you pay for.

o
RE: Four years of Picea mariana 'Ericoides'

That exploded! Especially from 2009 to 2010! Thanks for posting these Will, I reallyappreciate them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here