Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hobbiton conifers of the week, June 25th

Posted by firefightergardener 7/8 (fletchonthemove@hotmail.com) on
Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 15:08

This week's addition will be called 'A visit to Dragonfly Farms' which is a very cool Maw/Paw nursery in Kingston, Washington. The owner is Heidi Kastor, a gem of a lady who's more interested in cool plants then massive profits. The prices are very fair, the atmosphere is warm and the inventory is both rare and enormous. There are literally 1,200 or so cultivars of conifers available in sizes from 3" pots to 30 gallon monsters. A collector who lives or visits the Pacific Northwest without visiting this nursery is really only denying themselves a great treasure trove of plants. Except for the first plant(abies koreana), all of the following were purchased from Dragonfly Farms:

Abies koreana [Fincham Seedling]. A seedling that Bob selected from offspring of Abies koreana 'Gelbbunt'. STRONG variegation that doesn't burn in 1/2 days sun.
Photobucket
Closer view.
Photobucket

Abies amabilis 'Compacta'
Photobucket

Picea omorika 'T.C. Weeping'
Photobucket

Abies balsamea 'Jamy' VERY small.
Photobucket

Cupressus glabra 'Sulphera' - A bright and beautiful conifer.
Photobucket

Abies balsamea 'Nana' - Very nice little conifer, does GREAT in heavy shade.
Photobucket

Acer palmatum 'Olsen's Frosted Strawberry'
Photobucket
Closeup.
Photobucket

-Will

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hobbiton conifers of the week, June 25th

Thank you for the posting, Will! I live just 'across the pond' and didn't know about Dragonfly. I'll pay them a visit as soon as the rain lets up (ha!). Great plants!

o

I love love love these. Thanks for taking the time! =)
I like the Cupressus glabra 'Sulphera'

o

I love that Abies koreana (Fincham seedling), is that in commercial circulation?

o

Will, I saw your (Bob's Gelbbunt Seedling) last Winter, it has been growing big since.

You purchased some very nice conifers from the Dragonfly Farms.
Please chance the Cupressus glabra 'Sulphera'
Into
Cupressus glabra 'Sulphurea'.
You see how fast wrong spelled names will spread as Garen59 copied it also this way...

o

Thank you Fiddlelgal and Garen, I appreciate that you appreciate it. :)

GH, It's one of several that Bob is growing. He is basically observing them to see if any are better/reliable enough to be released. All are a little different and perhaps not consistently reliable. The one I have is basically unique and if it looks good in a year or two perhaps we'll do some grafts and see how they turn out. :)

Thank you Edwin, tags are so often wrong.

Cupressus glabra 'Sulphurea'. Noted!

-Will

o

Great conifers shown. I'm sure those with shade appreciate seeing any mentioned that do well in it also. Love the Acer also.
Cher

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here