Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobarian68

Weeping "Nootka" Alaskan Cypress. turning brown

bobarian68
9 years ago

Weeping Alaskan"Nootks Cypress" turning brown.These were totally green in spring, 10 feet.I had them planted and put on drip, with lawn sprinklers as well.Root rot is my assumption here.too wet.I turned off drip and cut back sprinkler.Im looking to apply fungicide�.would love some comments if anyone is familiar with this

Comments (10)

• bobarian68
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Ken, im in Long Island, NYâ¦zone 7.I bought 4 of these just over 8 weeks ago(mid April).They were planted a few days later by a professional landscaper.Temperayures were in the 60s.Big ball and burlapâ¦they opened the burlap, removed the ropes.Soil is clayâ¦.so drainage is an issue.I put drips on these immediately, so they wouldnt stress(ha).Ive fertiized them with a bit of 18-24-12.The weather has been pretty wet for a while.
    I agree about the transplant shock, but also suspect something a little more insidious!(fungus)â¦They were beautiful when i bought themâ¦Incidentally, i bought these trees at a nursery had the great deals(6 twelve foot River Birchâ¦5 diedâ¦.(6 skyrocket juniperâ¦.4 died) the only stuff that looks good is from Bizon on the west coast, and i know they root prune.I believe these "nootkas" were from Bizon..but not positive.

• outback63 Dennison
    9 years ago

This conifer will not usually make it if B&B.

!0% of root ball left after dig. Not enough root mass to feed foliage so it drops it. I know first hand.

The B&B dig put the plant in shock and you should never fertilize them in this case. It only adds to your problem.

It will slowly decline and will be a candidate for the dumpster.

Next time buy them potted up to 5 gal. if you want another one.

Dave

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Looks like normal interior needle loss helped out by the recent transplant. The tips of the branches look fine. I'd say it's in reasonably good shape considering the circumstances. I've found that Nootkas are a little harder to transplant than the Thuyas.
    Mike

• bobarian68
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks guysâ¦.as you pointed out,all the browning is from the inside..which continues as time goes on.There is plenty of good green on the ends that looks good to me

• outback63 Dennison
    9 years ago

Bobbo68

Come back and tell us how it is doing next year.

Yes they drop small amounts of inner growth each year. Yours is excessive and should be through with that process by now. A red flag for sure.

Dave

• bobarian68
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dave, i had so many problems with the trees i bought from this supplier.When i dug out the dead river birches(B @B) i saw how bad these were chopped.Never again.In the future, i will try to stick to container vs ball burlap.

• ljs8510
    9 years ago

My 3 Alaskan Cypress (2-Green Arrow 1- Jenny) which have thrived for 4 years look similar. Some of it always takes place but this year I think because of the extreme winter, it was very cold -20 then thaw and cold again.

• bobarian68
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I see what you are saying.So each year , the inside branches die back a little bit?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

the inside branches die back a little bit?

==>>NO .... no needles stays on forever ... most.. 1 to 3 years ..

the 3 years needles are inside.. because to the 2 years of growth since they emerged ...

no plant ... in the tree family.. maintains leaves in darkness ... inside the canopy .. i refer you to any forest... where if you walk under 100 foot trees... you will find them nudie inside ... no exposure to sun.. then there is really no job for the leaf.. so many simply abort .. if they happened to sprout inside ...

ken

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?