Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Abies lasiocarpa and Abies magnifigca Photo Gallery 2010

These two conifers are very similar, rare in cultivation and I believe closely related so I grouped them together.

Please share some of yours with us as well!

Abies lasiocarpa var. Arizonica 'Glauca Compacta'. May need a correction to the name. A wonderful plant for sure.

Same as above, though I did buy it as Abies magnifica 'Nana'. As close as it looks to the plant above, I've always felt it looked a little different.

Abies magnifica var. Shastensis. This poor guy has been suffering but still alive after two years in the ground. Perhaps it's the plant, but my hunch is it hasn't liked our 90+ degree Summers of late.

Abies lasiocarpa 'Utah'. A nice small dwarf.

Abies lasiocarpa 'Siskyou'. A tiny miniature, a plant I found tucked into a huge pile of potted plants at Coenosiums. Ahh, the beauty of visiting choice plant collections.

Abies lasiocarpa 'Daycreek'. No info. Pretty small though.

Abies magnifica 'Nana'. Very slow growing and not real happy with our weather either.

Abies lasiocarpa 'Alpine Beauty'. Another choice plant I received from Coenosium Gardens.

Abies lasiocarpa 'Prickly Pete'. One I wanted for a long time.

-Will

Comments (22)

• ykli
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting

Abies Lasiocarpa Logan Pass

{{gwi:681630}}

--
    Philippe

• jaro_in_montreal
    13 years ago

Question:
    Is there a big difference between Abies magnifica and A. procera ? (Thnx)

• clement_2006
    13 years ago

Abies magnifica var shastensis is a tree, probably a cross between Abies procera and Abies magnifica.
    The plant showed are a small cultivar probably from procera.
    Clément

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

The first one is one of the most prominent varieties, far from rare.

Red fir does not have the needles grooved on top, a prominent feature of noble fir. You can roll red fir needles between the fingers, those of noble fir are flattened.

Shasta fir is like red fir except for having protruding cone bracts, in the manner of noble fir.

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Hi Will,

Did you see that you showed us 2 differend photo's of the Abies magnifica 'Nana'?

Abies lasiocarpa 'Day Creek' is a dwarf form, it looks like a tiny Abies lasiocarpa 'Green Globe'.
    Abies lasiocarpa 'Day Creek'

• tunilla
    13 years ago

Hi all. Nice pics of nice plants!
    Q: I have a A. lasiocarpa v. arizonica 'Glauca compacta' growing about 4 ft (1.2 m)away from a wild Pinus sylvestris , wich I am trying to shape so it will grow sideways over my rockery. The fir is only about 14" (35 cm) tall at the moment. Is it possible to keep this tree small-ish too, or will it eventually outgrow it's position? In other words : would I be wise to move it now and replace it with a true dwarf, or can it be considered as such if one takes the trouble to prune it? Thx for your suggestions . T.

• dansgrdn
    13 years ago

I got this one labeled as Abies lasiocarpa 'Prostrata' at Gee's a few year's ago. I haven't seen it listed anywhere else and wondered if anyone else had it and if so was the name correct. Either way it's a nice plant, which looks good all season and grows as it's labeled.

Dan

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dan, I bought a plant very very similar to that labeled as Abies magnifica 'Prostrate'. It looks very much like Abies procera 'prostrata' and yours looks very similar to mine.

You'll want the experts to chip in here.

• dansgrdn
    13 years ago

Hi Will, I'd be surprised if this isn't lasiocarpa, I was questioning the cultivar name not the species. Thanks for sharing all of the pics. You've got so many wonderful cultivars, it seems every category brings out more new beauties.

Thanks, Dan

• clement_2006
    13 years ago

Dan & Will, It's well an Abies lasiocarpa .
    "Prostrata" possible ? I don't know.
    But certainly not Abies magnifica.
    Clément

• dansgrdn
    13 years ago

Thanks Clément, I appreciate the confirmation of the species.

Here's a couple more:

Abies lasiocarpa 'Glacier'

Abies lasiocarpa 'Alpine Beauty' (smaller than Will's but the foliage is a little further along )

Dan

• dansgrdn
    13 years ago

Here's Abies lasiocarpa 'Glacier' again. I messed up the link somehow.

Abies koreana 'Cis' right and 'Silberlocke' above. Middle hosta is 'Blue Mouse Ears', 'Dorothy Benedict' F1 to left of that.

Dan

• clement_2006
    13 years ago

Dan,
    you don't have the right plant, it's not "Glacier" !
    Glacier are a miniature.
    Clément

• dansgrdn
    13 years ago

Hi Clément. You're right, this definitely isn't a mini.I'd really like to see a pic of 'Glacier'. I got this from Rich's Foxwillow Pines and it said it was a conical dwarf. I saw a nice specimen plant of it a couple years before that was about 5 feet tall (1.52m) appearing to be a dwarf with faster growth than 'Glauca Compacta' with longer more silver needles, as opposed to the more powder blue of 'GC'. I tried to research it, but all that comes up is 'Glacier Blue' with no description. This is part of what really frustrates me about conifers. With hostas you name it, register it with a description and if someone else tries to call something the same thing, it doesn't happen or if there is a question about tag corruption somewhere along the line you can check. With conifers nomenclature debates are pretty much an every day occurance. Guess it's just what we have to go through, if we want to have these cool plants in our garden :)

Have a great weekend,
    Dan

• clement_2006
    13 years ago

My Abies lasiocarpa "Glacier", arround 20/25 years old.
    Clément

• dansgrdn
    13 years ago

Thanks Clément, Looks like I have another one with no identification now.
    'Glacier' is a great looking plant, thanks for posting the photo.

Dan

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Dan, the second photo you shows us is an Abies lasiocarpa 'Argentea'.
    Rich's disciption you gave us is right, you only have to stake it for a couple of years.
    Abies lasiocarpa 'Argentea'

The first photo with the flat growing Abies lasiocarpa is Abies lasiocarpa 'Compacta Prostrata'.

I hope I helped you out with these "no identification problems" ;o)

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A few more before this post falls behind.

Abies lasiocarpa 'Lopalpun'. Very choice, ultra-miniature. I believe this specimen is about 8 years old.

Abies lasiocarpa 'Compacta'

Abies lasiocarpa 'Mulligan's Dwarf'

-Will

• crypper
    13 years ago

a nice old specimen of Abies lasiocarpa 'Logan Pass.' It looks like this little guy wants to start pushing a leader out from the top left. I like it.

Dave

• jeannette_wi
    13 years ago

I am thinking of buying the Abies lasiocarpa arizonica prostrata from Gee's website. Am wondering if it attains any height in time or if it is truly prostrate.

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Throwing this good picture thread back out there with a couple new images I took today:

Abies lasiocarpa(species). Pretty neat trees for sure. Two plants or two leaders, either way I'll probably try and keep both.

Abies lasiocarpa 'Duflon'. Another tiny plant.

-Will

• rispetto
    13 years ago

{{gwi:753542}}
    lasiocarpa Green Globe

{{gwi:753543}}
    lasiocarpa Cvikov