Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19692738

Trip to Mount Lu - many pictures -

User
10 years ago

Jiangxi province, China

You can see a video here: http://youtu.be/21OMD6tD1VU

If you do not see the English caption for the video, click the cc button at the lower rightside of the player.

American writer and novelist Pearl S. Buck (1892-1973) grew up in a town in the range of Mt. Lu. She has an American classical novel The Good Earth which described Mt. Lu in great detail. The novel was the best-selling fiction book in the U.S. in 1931 and 1932. It won the Pulitzer Prize in 1932. Eventually, in 1938 she was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature for The Good Earth.

click for larger resolution -

The monkeys look tame but they are not. They have hands.

A group of students -

This post was edited by jujujojo on Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 15:50

Comments (25)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

Did you see Taxodium hybrids there? Supposedly, they are growing cuttings by the millions.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

stunning.. ken

æÂÂè³ or is this better?

é©Âè·

• Random_Treelore
    10 years ago

Super cool :) Is that white-flowered plant a Rhederodendron, by chance?

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by lou_midlothian_tx z8 DFW, Tx (My Page) on Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 16:00

I have no idea. Do you think some of the trees in the pics are related to Taxodium?

Posted by ken_adrian z5 (My Page) on Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 16:09

Thank you Ken. The Chinese phrase you cited is urban and used to describe a hot female. It is not a suitable word here=) Nevertheless, it is so good to learn that GW uses unicode now.

Posted by Random_Treelore none (My Page) on Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 13:06

I don't know what the first flowering white-bell is. Maybe someone could ID.

• pineresin
    10 years ago

Pinus hwangshanensis in the first pic.

Pic 3 looks like mainly Cryptomeria japonica (widely cultivated / naturalised in China), and some Abies sp.

Resin

• monkeytreeboy15
    10 years ago

The "first flowering white bell" looks like it could be a Styrax..
    I'm no angiosperm expert, though. ;-)

-Sam

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

yikes... my apologies.. if necessary ... lol

'stunning' was the 4th in a series of descriptive words ....

regardless.. thx for the pix ....

ken

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by pineresin 8/9 UK (My Page) on Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 19:20

How about the (pine?) trees in pictures 11 and 12.

• pineresin
    10 years ago

"How about the (pine?) trees in pictures 11 and 12"

11 - too misty to see enough detail!

12 - probably more Cryptomeria japonica.

Resin

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now, there is a video available:

Trip and later the Mt. Lu Pine

Note, Mt. Lu is pronounced "lu shan" in the video.

• botann
    10 years ago

Beautiful pictures. I would like to go there, but it probably won't happen at my age.
    I did several landscapes for a family named Lu. Both the father and the son. Before I retired, 30% of my landscape design and installation business was for people of Chinese descent. They were all friends.
    Mike

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 11:38

Mike, I meant to update and add a video link in the first post here. I can also tell how many people watched the video from GW :) Let me know if you do not see an English caption in the video.

• botann
    10 years ago

The video had English captions. Mt. Lu reminds me of the hikes I used to take when I was younger. I hiked a lot in The Olympic Mountains here in Washington State. After looking at that video, maybe I have a few hikes left!
    Mike

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

The reason I asked about Taxodium is because supposedly they are being planted everywhere.

Here is a link that might be useful: Taxodium in China

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

Another interesting tree in China - Taxodium X Cryptomeria hybrid aka Dongfangshan. It has been around for a long time. Is it true hybrid? Who knows but it looks very cool.

If you ever make a trip to that part of China, check them out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dongfangshan

• pineresin
    10 years ago

"Another interesting tree in China - Taxodium X Cryptomeria hybrid aka Dongfangshan. It has been around for a long time. Is it true hybrid?"

No.

The claimed hybrids were tested genetically, and proved to be pure Taxodium with no Cryptomeria inheritance.

Resin

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

Resin, I already knew that. Probably should have written a bit more on that. I'm going to check out the grafted ones probably in November.

It's just that it's curious that that taxodium has been around since 1963 and no one in USA has it till SFASU got it recently. It does look different for T. mucronatum so who really knows?

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Resin and Lou, in Chinese, that name Dongfangshan refers to the tree native to Mexico and US. May be, you guys can create a true hybrid :)

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Resin and Lou, in Chinese, that name Dongfangshan refers to the tree native to Mexico and US. May be, you guys can create a true hybrid :)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

Juju,

China apparently got a huge advantage on hybrids. Just not on taxodium x Cryptomeria though.

One thing about T. mucronatum aka Montezuma cypress is that they don't seem to develop nice form like Bald cypress I see in a lot of places. Almost every year, my favorite Montezuma cypress is at my old college that seems to produce consistent nice form seedlings like BC but grows faster and stay more evergreen into late fall/early winter unlike others. Maybe it is because there are bald cypress everywhere to breed with, who knows? Here is a picture of MC seedling that was grown from a seed from that tree.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by lou_midlothian_tx z8 DFW, Tx (My Page) on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 22:29

Your tree look superb!

• sluice
    10 years ago

Nice! Like the Lushan pines!

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

Juju,

Here's a pic of MC x BC hybrid T-407 behind my brother's backyard in Houston, Texas that I gave him a couple years ago. I can imagine that there are a lot of large ones somewhere in China.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by lou_midlothian_tx z8 DFW, Tx (My Page) on Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 20:39

That is exceptionally beautiful. Are they available commercially?

Posted by sluice z6a CO (My Page) on Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 23:25

Lushan or Mt. Lu is actually well known in American literature.

American writer and novelist Pearl S. Buck (1892-1973) grew up in a town in the range of Mt. Lu. She has an American classical novel The Good Earth which described Mt. Lu in great detail. The novel was the best-selling fiction book in the U.S. in 1931 and 1932. It won the Pulitzer Prize in 1932.

Eventually, in 1938 she was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature for The Good Earth "for her rich and truly epic descriptions of peasant life in China and for her biographical masterpieces."

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

If you ever go to Nacogdoches, Texas to visit the arboretum at Stephen F Austin State University, you might get all hybrids (T-27, 405,406, 407, 302, and 502). Just have to contact Dr. Creech. Not sure where you live in USA though but I don't know how cold hardy they are though. Maybe zone 7? No Idea. SFA arboretum are growing a lot of them to give out for evaluations across the southeast region of USA. That's what I am doing in central Texas to see how they do here. So far, so good.