Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sequoia sempervirens 'Little Nessie'

• Posted by ademink z5a-5b Indianapolis (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 18, 11 at 16:08

I could eat that. If that ain't the cutest thing! Pass the ranch.

What does it do when it grows up? Creep or...????? love it!

o

This is one very bizarre redwood !!

o

Stephen, can you tell us some more about this witches' broom and who gave it this cultivar name?

o

Edwin, Dan Luscombe at Bedgebury recieved material from Ness Botanic Gardens in Scotland, where the broom and the mother tree is situated. He sent the material onto me last year. From about twenty grafts made only two survived, this is one the other I sent back to Dan, I gave it the name, with Dan's agreement. The original broom is a very round to oval tight compact globe, about the size of a dustbin lid!

o

Very nice!

Josh

o

This is the second grafted Sequoia sempervirens witches' broom I come across.
Nelis Kools from The Netherlands received also scions from a broom which is in France.
He also grafted some but these all died in the second year.
The third and fourth broom were found last year in The Netherlands in Wiel Linssen's garden, both are on the same tree.
Wiel and I talked about these brooms and he told me that none of these brooms will have a long live because of it's juvenile needles and it's very thight habit.
This combination will make sure that it will be killed by a fungus sooner or later.
But this is only theory, I hope that the 'Little Nessie' will live for a very long time :0)
It's to bad that you didn't grafted it a little bit higher of the ground which was possible when I take a look to the understock...
Please keep us informed about this one!

o

Good name.

Dax

o

Other ones which died were grafted higher Edwin, in fact i might have been a bit quick in throwing them out, as this one also looked to be a gonner, with a lot of dead wood within, before the new growth started to appear several weeks ago.

o

Congratulations on the successful propagation!

It looks like Nessie has a little friend in the pot?

o

Gratulations,too - Stephen,

nice little plant. I hope that it will stay alive. And I hope we can do more 'Little Nessies' in future .
Nelis broom from France was called ' Balais de Sorciére '.
Like Edwin told us, unfortunately all died.

Wolfgang

o

Wow, looks like a sedum or something. Surreal. I sure hope it proves a winner, after visiting the enormous forests of these trees, I'd love to grow a tiny variation of one. I can't believe how small or how odd that looks! More updates down the road please Stephen!

-Will

o

' Balais de Sorciere'.

Some problems with French accent.

I remember, we had some pics months before with very similar grafts from sempervirens.But I do not know from whom.

Wolfgang

o

Wolfgang, these pics were also from Stephen, taken when he just grafted some scions of the 'Little Nessie', only then without this cultivar name...

o

So what now?

Are you going to keep it in the pot and mother hen it for several years or give it a go in your garden?

Dave

o

Thanks Edwin,

yes I admired these little grafts. But there was no name.

Wolfgang

o

Certainly be keeping it in a container for the foreseeable future Dave, assuming it does survive..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here