Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Abies recurvata ID help

Posted by monkeytreeboy15 Zone 7b/8a (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 15:53

I purchased this tree labeled Abies squamata, but some of you knowledgable people said it was actually Abies recurvata. I just wanted to verify that it is indeed Abies recurvata. This tree has a very open habit and incredibly stiff and sharp needles that are arranged very symmetrically on the branches.
Abies recurvata
Abies recurvata
Abies recurvata

Also, I already have a plant in the collection named Abies recurvata var. ernestii, and this plant has softer, more blunt needles that are a dark, glossy green color. The tree has a more dense growth habit compared to the alleged Abies recurvata also.
Abies recurvata var. ernestii

Thank you for lending your opinion in accurately identifying these two trees.

-Sam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Abies recurvata ID help

I have no real knowledge to offer but your photos are beautiful!

o

Yep, Abies recurvata for sure.

Resin

o

Thank you for your valuable assurance, Resin.

Could you explain to me what the differences are between Abies recurvata and its variant ernestii that makes it a unique variant? Thanks!

-Sam

o

Not a lot of difference - var. ernestii has slightly longer needles (to 3.5 cm; vs. to 3 cm in the type) and a greater tendency to have needles with bifid tips on vigorous shoots. It comes from the southern end of the species' range; they probably intergrade extensively where they meet.

Resin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here