Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisismelissa

Which Conifer for this spot?

thisismelissa
9 years ago

I'm re-working this bed.

I'll detail in the next post. I hit "Submit" too quickly.

This post was edited by thisismelissa on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 16:11

Comments (8)

• thisismelissa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Previously, I had asked about 'Silveray' Korean Pine and this is the bed I'm considering. This is the NW corner of my lot as viewed from my deck. This is the view I most care about. That corner does get nearly all-day sun, when the sun is high, but as the sun ducks down in later summer, there will be filtered light. In winter, it will get sun when the leaves fall off of the trees to the south.

As for winds, we get winds from the NW or W in the winter, so this may be slightly exposed. We have pretty intense sun coming off the snow, and desiccation on southern exposures is common on wimpy varieties like Dwarf Alberta Spruce.

The Black Hills spruce will stay and in front of the neighbors' shed, the Hydrangea Paniculata will stay. Also in this bed are a Barberry 'Rosy Glow' which I'd like to stay, but it could go. The 'Tiger Eyes' sumac may bet relocated.

You may be able to see small stumps from the birches I lost this winter. In front of that are various coneflowers (staying, but could be thinned) and some Asiatic lily (probably will move). In front of that, you see a stand of shasta daisy (to be relocated when bed re-worked) and hostas 'Sum & Substance' (will move in front of coneflowers), 'Liberty' (will stay) and 'Hirao Supreme' (will likely relocate) in that order. [yes Ken, I've seen your post on moving fully leafed out hosta, thanks! ;-) ]

So, mainly what I'm looking for is 1-3 trees/shrubs for that back corner. I realize a conifer isn't going to like being butted into a corner, but no one will see it with my kitty-korner neighbors' lilacs shielding it.

I'm hoping for something that will contrast against my neighbors' lilacs, so blue or gold would be great.
    The total available footprint is approximately a 10x10 triangle. And I'm perfectly fine with planting something that may require maintenance 1-2x/year, to keep within that footprint.

I'm also open to deciduous options as well, but I am in the conifer forum!

Thanks!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

I'd suggest Picea engelmannii 'Bush's Lace' which has a 10 foot spread max or a Picea omorika 'Bruns' (not to be confused with 'Pendula Bruns'). Either should fit that space. If you prefer multiple trees, go thinner with Picea omorika 'Pendula Bruns', Picea glauca 'Pendula', Picea pungens 'The Blues' (would require staking to height) or even Thuja occidentalis 'DeGroots's Spire'.

tj

• thisismelissa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh no! No more plain jane arborvitae!!

I'm going to look into the others mentioned!

• basic
    9 years ago

Pinus cembra might work. It is naturally narrow and wouldn't outgrow the confined space you're working with anytime soon. I looked at one a couple of years ago on a Northfield, MN, campus that was probably 30' tall and 10' wide. I've got one growing in a very exposed location and it has never experienced winter burn. It's a very attractive pine that produces plump purple cones, which I think are very ornamental. I can't think of any negatives with this tree.

• gardener365
    9 years ago

I'd think 'Bush's Lace' would fit lovely there.

Dax

• leftontheinside
    9 years ago

If Tiger Eyes and Rosy Glow stay, I'd agree Bush's Lace would be perfect. It would stand out against the green back drop.

Pinus cembra is another good choice. This is one of the few pines that can tolerate partial shade. By far one of my favorite pines.

One of my older specimens has the nice plumb purple cones that basic mentioned.

• ljs8510
    9 years ago

You were looking at Korean Pine (Silverray) which I think but Im not sure is the same as Glauca Korean Pine?
    I have a Glauca Korean Pine and I have Winton Korean Pine. So far the Winton is a more narrow tree with longer & more colorful needles than the Glauca. I bought the Winton from Stanly's when it was sprig maybe about 8" tall about 12 years ago, now its about 10'. Its one of my favorite plants. Mine is planted where its shaded all morning and sunny after about 100pm. We had -20 winter & I lost other plants this guy showed no problems.

• thisismelissa
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Reviving a old thread here. Bought a tree today. Pinus cembra... at least that's what the tree dude thought, since the 3 that they had were all missing tags. But we (by process of elimination) are pretty certain it's the species, not a cultivar.
    Tree dude seemed to be concerned about the part shade situation. But, I did get a 5-yr guarantee. I figure in that time, I can determine if it'll continue to do well, in time. And perhaps, the neighbor's crappy box elder will bite the dust (wishful thinking).

In the meantime, I'm thinking I may want to do some candle snipping for the first several years, to give it a more columnar shape. Thoughts on this? How much of the candle should be snipped?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH